PDA

View Full Version : Pal Users Rejoice - New Dark Alex Firmware is Great for PAL PSX Games

wraggster
February 6th, 2007, 20:42
Dark Alexs new custom firmware release gave us compatibility for the latest firmware but it also gave all PAL users a fix for their PSX Games, so at last i can play some of my faves without graphics corruption.

What would you wish to see in a future release of Dark Alex`s Firmware ?

zoson
February 6th, 2007, 20:47
question on my mind is if the autoboot from ms0:/PSP/GAME/BOOT has been fixed?

yoshinatsu
February 6th, 2007, 20:48
What would you wish to see in a future release of Dark Alex`s Firmware ?

DivX or... RMVB support I'd dare to say...:rolleyes:
NO-UMD mode to 100% (I haves UMDs but many people don't).
What else now...?
Is there something else at all? :p

Accordion
February 6th, 2007, 20:58
fixes new pal games...breaks old ones!!!

all my ready converted pops games now are misaligned...doh

not too much trouble of course, but still...

not here anymore
February 6th, 2007, 20:59
hahaha PAL, best joke evar

Zukan
February 6th, 2007, 21:02
An option to hide corrupt folders in both GAME folders. My Atari rom folder cannot reside in the GAME150 folder which causes a corrupt icon to show up :(

As for the PAL upgrade... Couldn't have come at a better time. Got too many PAL games lining up behind me XD

Xiofire
February 6th, 2007, 21:12
Do custom XMBS work yet? Like Gameboots? or custom fonts?
-Xiofire

Baboon
February 6th, 2007, 21:16
An option to hide corrupt folders in both GAME folders. My Atari rom folder cannot reside in the GAME150 folder which causes a corrupt icon to show up :(

As for the PAL upgrade... Couldn't have come at a better time. Got too many PAL games lining up behind me XD

Turn the 'hide corrupt data' option on in recover mode. Then for the Atari ST emu use the single kxploited 1.0 eboot for castaway instead of the two 1.5 ones. Place the eboot into the Atari folder, then put the Atari folder into the 'GAME' folder (the same as where the popstation games go) and not the 'GAME150' and the emu runs perfect and also hides the corrupt data! :thumbup:

For Pal PS1 games I've never really had any previous problems if I used ntsc2pal but thats good news DA has fixed this on the latest pops. :D

mavsman4457
February 6th, 2007, 21:22
Avi support is all I want, preferably with not resolution limits but that would be the ultimate gift.

joshisposer
February 6th, 2007, 21:26
I just want maybe like a built in wmv/avi/mpeg player. IDK, so far, nothing i really don't need is put in there.

D_A just amazes me by putting in surprise features.

Actually, i just thought of something. Why doesn't D_A make it where pops can load iso's and cso's? That would be cool and a whole lot easier than popstation. Also, D_A should make his own browser. Maybe like eboot so it has more cache on it or something.

devmas
February 6th, 2007, 21:30
I hate to be nitpicky, but Dark alex did not make it so that PAL games would be more compatible with the emulator (unless everyone knows something that I don't)... that was Sony, fixing the emulator. However, without Dark_aleX creating 3.10 OE, we could not have the ability to use the better Sony emulator...
I, by no means want to diminish the value of his excellent work, but I am just pointing something out...

Makaveli777
February 6th, 2007, 21:38
I would like to see multiplayer in popstation if thats even possible.

de.silva89
February 6th, 2007, 21:39
I would really like to see him perfect his region-free section, I have a US Pulp Fiction UMD which will not work on my UK PSP.

pt9087
February 6th, 2007, 21:42
Nice work once again (i wonder whats next).

joshisposer
February 6th, 2007, 21:44
Makeveli, that does sound cool. Maybe like ad-hoc or something. I did notice that sony added controller ports in their emulator, so i'm expecting some sort of ad-hoc or multiplayer put into their next firmware or two.

Baboon
February 6th, 2007, 21:50
I hate to be nitpicky, but Dark alex did not make it so that PAL games would be more compatible with the emulator (unless everyone knows something that I don't)... that was Sony, fixing the emulator. However, without Dark_aleX creating 3.10 OE, we could not have the ability to use the better Sony emulator...
I, by no means want to diminish the value of his excellent work, but I am just pointing something out...

Sony hasnt given us the ability to play our own pal or ntsc games, they dont care that we already own the games on CD, they just want extra revenue by us downloading them all again from their store via the PS3!

The PS3 isnt even out in the uk yet... so Im guessing that it was Dark Alex that corrected the pal bug for us to rip our own cds when he hacked the firmware?? I could be wrong though. :D

joshisposer
February 6th, 2007, 21:54
Sony hasnt given us the ability to play our own pal or ntsc games, they dont care that we already own the games on CD, they just want extra revenue by us downloading them all again from their store via the PS3!

The PS3 isnt even out in the uk yet... so Im guessing that it was Dark Alex that corrected the pal bug for us to rip our own cds when he hacked the firmware?? I could be wrong though. :D

It's like Dark_Alex once said, when sony updates their firmware, it also helps the compatibility. I think he said that around 3.03 oe-a' or something. As in, when new firmwares come out, the pops will actually get better. So, I think it is sony

irishwhip
February 6th, 2007, 22:33
i would like to see a manual screen resize option, because not all pal games are fixed. my beloved wipeout 3 special edition has hueg borders that cant be fixed with zoom or full screen mode :(
(maybe one of you clever fellas could come up with a prx plugin that does it eh?)

fucht017
February 6th, 2007, 22:51
Hoping that RESIDENT EVIL 2 Can be played....But realy hoping that EVERY psx games can be played(i'm sorry for being greedy):thumbup:

Jpdeathblade
February 6th, 2007, 23:46
- Resident Evil 2 running =P
- Load Gameboot, Font, XMB Icons, etc off memorystick (full customization without flashing)
- Picture pluggin build in, so i can take pics of stuffs =P
- IR Shell

kiore
February 7th, 2007, 00:13
Nice fix dax, but I'm stayin at 3.03 OE-B for a bit longer

Shadowblind
February 7th, 2007, 00:18
The ONLY thing that could cause another revolution in the PSP scene. A full speed N64 emulator, or a DS emulator, preferably N64 emulator. I have no doubt Alex can do it.

Plain and Simple.

Accordion
February 7th, 2007, 00:20
the option to have a gameboot, font, waves, back pic etc all loaded from ms0 on install would be nice... it isnt much trouble to update the files manually, especially with USB flash access, but having the default locations chosen before install would ease the use for those who like to change their PSP appearance.

ryanMWolfe
February 7th, 2007, 00:46
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

A couple of things we could use for the next Custome firmware is

- Abilty to run more plugins at one time (because when we us USBHOSTFS mod it takes up all the plugin spaces

-Better Psx compression

- customizable icons for the newer firmwares

Also i Would like to thank all the Dark_Alex for all his custom firmwares.

Veskgar
February 7th, 2007, 01:13
It's like Dark_Alex once said, when sony updates their firmware, it also helps the compatibility.

Yeah, regarding PSX emulation, I actually look forward to SONY updates for once.

Its a smart strategy sort of by SONY. We have seen how the homebrew scene was largely steered toward PSX Emulation and Dark_AleX's custom firmware since Christmas. So imagine the millions of PSP owners who are not into homebrew. They are waiting in anticipation of all of SONY's updates for better PSX compatibility and will update in a flash without a care in the world.

The homebrew scene will also do the same when Dark_AleX releases updates.

There is no question that 3.10 OE-A' is much better than SONY's 3.10, but sadly homebrew still is not all that popular or known by the majority of PSP owner.

not here anymore
February 7th, 2007, 01:53
There is no question that 3.10 OE-A' is much better than SONY's 3.10, but sadly homebrew still is not all that popular or known by the majority of PSP owner.

i'm not so sure..
http://boardsus.playstation.com/playstation/board?board.id=psp

Veskgar
February 7th, 2007, 02:23
i'm not so sure..
http://boardsus.playstation.com/playstation/board?board.id=psp

ha ha, wow that's funny. SONY's official forum site flooded with homebrew threads.

Very interesting.

devmas
February 7th, 2007, 03:12
Yeah, regarding PSX emulation, I actually look forward to SONY updates for once.

Yes, that is actually pretty funny and ironic. I remember thinking that when the game Um Jammer Lammy didn't work well with the 3.03 emulator. I was eagerly waiting for a new firmware upgrade. When 3.10 came out, I was excited and curious as to how they fixed the emulator.

Turns out Um Jammer Lammy does actually work a little better, so I'm happy. Point is, though, because of Dark_Alex, I now look forward to Sony updates.

Lupin3rd
February 7th, 2007, 03:19
So it's the 3.10 oe a update that's been talked about in regards to improved pal performance? Because the thread's pretty sketchy in regards to details.

I still haven't managed to convert a pal iso/eboot to ntsc to play on my 3.03 oe C, and that makes me sad.

edit- all i want to do is iso my disc 1 of final fantasy 9 pal and get it played, I'm so lost.

Drem
February 7th, 2007, 05:09
I've told this in our russian community in a day or two. My expectations:
- Option in recovery menu to change battery indication from points to percents, I'm tired to estimate it by my own;
- Change AVC/MP4 directory from MP_ROOT to VIDEO on root, let's have one unified directory for all our video on PSP;
- Built-in LUA and Flash players;
- WAV/OGG/FLAC/... in XMB mediaplayer, support ID3 tags, lyrics view and album art in bigger resolution. Why not use mp3 plugin's idea and let mediaplayer play on the back burner?
- Recovery menu graphical re-design, option to install custom fonts, icons and boot animation (themes?) in recovery menu;
- random wallpaper option (randomly change wall from PHOTO/WALL directory in every day/week/mounth or on every PSP power on);
- Screenshots and gifs video taking by default (another plugin idea);
- Sorting applications in "Memory Stick" ("Games") menu by PSP ISO, PSX ISO, PSP Demo and PSP Homebrew.

DarthPaul
February 7th, 2007, 06:50
I made a PSX Eboot[PAL] and it's like widescreen or something... I don't know why.. maybe it's because I used an old version of POPS .. do I need to make it with the new POPStation from 3.10OE or something?

cloudd
February 7th, 2007, 08:09
I have noticed in 3.10 OE PS1 emulation is slower than in 3.03 OE. Music skips in certain ps1 games on 3.10 OE and NOT on 3.03 OE with the same ps1 file . Anyone else experience this?

Tinnus
February 7th, 2007, 12:19
NO-UMD mode to 100% (I haves UMDs but many people don't).
They don't deserve to play games they do not own.

Only excuse I can see for NO-UMD is broken UMD drives.

I made a PSX Eboot[PAL] and it's like widescreen or something... I don't know why.. maybe it's because I used an old version of POPS .. do I need to make it with the new POPStation from 3.10OE or something?
This is normal for PAL games. Also, 3.10OE doesn't come with a new popstation...

Try the new "zoom" screen mode. Although in my opinion it zooms TOO much.

Tinnus
February 7th, 2007, 12:23
The ONLY thing that could cause another revolution in the PSP scene. A full speed N64 emulator, or a DS emulator, preferably N64 emulator. I have no doubt Alex can do it.

Plain and Simple.
That makes absolutely no sense at all. Just for starting, what has Alex to do with writing emulators? He just hacked Sony's, he didn't write the PS1 emulator. Sony did.

Also, emulating the N64 and DS at full speed seem way beyond real.

The N64 has a 64-bit CPU, which is hell to emulate on a 32-bit CPU like the PSP.

The NDS is exactly a copy of the GBA plus a new CPU, new screen, etc etc. And we barely have full GBA.

brunobelo
February 7th, 2007, 12:36
Does anybody know if Little Big Adventure is playable on this firmware? On 3.03 wasn't... :(

brunobelo
February 7th, 2007, 13:21
Tinnus, the PSP's R4000 is almost the same processor as the N64's VR430, AFAIK. I know that would be very very difficult to make an emulator that runs at fullspeed, but converting the ROM to the correct addresses, and working on that emulator, we can yes have a N64 emulator on the PSP.

And, about the NDS, yep, I agree with you, we'll NEVER see a NDS emulator on the PSP. For 2 reasons:

1) It's stupid. PSP doesn't have touchscreen. If anyone wants to play NDS, go buy one. It's way better;
2) We'll never emulate the 2 screens, so, again, it's stupid. :-D

And, we can't emulate the 67mhz and the 33mhz ARM processos of the NDS. As you said, we barely emulate the 17mhz of the GBA processor. :-D

Panini
February 7th, 2007, 14:01
Tinnus, the PSP's R4000 is almost the same processor as the N64's VR430, AFAIK. I know that would be very very difficult to make an emulator that runs at fullspeed, but converting the ROM to the correct addresses, and working on that emulator, we can yes have a N64 emulator on the PSP.

And, about the NDS, yep, I agree with you, we'll NEVER see a NDS emulator on the PSP. For 2 reasons:

1) It's stupid. PSP doesn't have touchscreen. If anyone wants to play NDS, go buy one. It's way better;
2) We'll never emulate the 2 screens, so, again, it's stupid. :-D

And, we can't emulate the 67mhz and the 33mhz ARM processos of the NDS. As you said, we barely emulate the 17mhz of the GBA processor. :-D

I think the N64 dream is now over. It's such a shame strummn abandonded the psp scene last september, his emulator was just starting to show real progress.

I just hope that some other talented coder picks up dadeuls (or however you spell it) becuase this would be the most important thing to happend to the psp if it was working well.

guardiansnowman
February 7th, 2007, 14:09
I WANT TO SEE RMVB SUPPORT! or at least AVI :P

gr42178
February 7th, 2007, 14:17
I think the N64 dream is now over. It's such a shame strummn abandonded the psp scene last september, his emulator was just starting to show real progress.

I just hope that some other talented coder picks up dadeuls (or however you spell it) becuase this would be the most important thing to happend to the psp if it was working well.

Yea, the N64 emu would make the PSP complete lol.

jimmi
February 7th, 2007, 16:31
my ff7 screen is still displayed... does n e body n e tutorials or can they pm me.. i think im missing something... thanks guys

ENG
February 7th, 2007, 16:44
I just want to point out, although D_A has graced us with this glorious firmware, he doesn't actually improve the popstations comatability, sony does that, also any pal - ntsc games are now off centre.

LazerTag
February 7th, 2007, 16:59
I just want to point out, although D_A has graced us with this glorious firmware, he doesn't actually improve the popstations comatability, sony does that, also any pal - ntsc games are now off centre.

So noted in an earlier post from this thread. Good point about those PAL - NTSC games being off now though.

I would love to see an easy way, without a 3rd party app or through USB, to adjust the order of installed programs. Or is there one already and I am missing something?

My normal method has been to move all my "%" folders to a temp location on my HD and then move them back in reverse order of how I want them to appear. (last copied is fist in the list, this is inclusive of ISO's as well)

gensuke
February 7th, 2007, 20:58
hahaha PAL, best joke evar

Yeah, just use NTSC:

Lower resolution
Unstable colors
Inconsistent frame rate 29.97 fps which lead to the 3:2 pulldown formula to adapt 24fps film to almost30fps TV...

And I could continue talking about pitch change in audio.

Best crap ever...

Vyking
February 7th, 2007, 21:11
I have noticed in 3.10 OE PS1 emulation is slower than in 3.03 OE. Music skips in certain ps1 games on 3.10 OE and NOT on 3.03 OE with the same ps1 file . Anyone else experience this?

I'm noticing this quite badly as well. It's great that I can finally see the bottom of the screen but at the detriment of slow down.

It would be fantastic to see a PAL or NTSC option in the next update. At least it kept the game mostly up to speed (Apart form the woefully slow Silent Hill).
Even PALadin conversions keep it as a PAL game. *sigh*

reakt
February 8th, 2007, 10:35

You won't find popstation included in the rar file for 3.10OE at all. I couldn't find popstation anywhere - then I downloaded 3.03OE and there it was - right in the archive.

SO I guess that Dark Alex hasn't updated POPstation for 3.10OE.

froggie22
February 8th, 2007, 10:45
I just want maybe like a built in wmv/avi/mpeg player. IDK, so far, nothing i really don't need is put in there.

Actually, i just thought of something. Why doesn't D_A make it where pops can load iso's and cso's? That would be cool and a whole lot easier than popstation. Also, D_A should make his own browser. Maybe like eboot so it has more cache on it or something.

I agree with the video support but playing iso's for popstation wouldnt be that good because they will be huge and not compressed as well as the eboots