PDA

View Full Version : France Approves Game Tax Credit

wraggster
February 7th, 2007, 18:01
In a move that could have oppressed German game developers looking jealously towards the southwest, the French Parliament has approved a plan to allow game developers creating games with a "with a cultural dimension" a tax credit equaling 20% of development costs up to 3 million euros a year. That's a pretty sizeable chunk of change aimed at keeping developers in the country, providing a sharp contrast to Germany, where some game developers are looked on and treated like borderline criminals.

So what determines if a game has a cultural dimension? Anything from the story the music, the look and feel, etc., so while a game about killing space aliens on a made up planet might not fall under the criteria, killing space aliens in the Louvre to the music of Jean-Marie Leclair just might.

Devs shouldn't start counting their euros yet however, as the European Commission is currently looking the plan over to see if it constitutes a EU policy violating subsidy.

via kotaku (http://kotaku.com/gaming/france/france-approves-game-tax-credit-234580.php)

10shu
February 7th, 2007, 23:56
ahahah...well i am not sure there any real cultural dimension thingy...from my experience as a game develloper I know than the big studios are usually made of peoples of different nationality.

The company I actually work for is in canada however we have french, american, chineses, spanish, korean, etc...

I ve previously worked in the uk where again my workmate where from lot of differente europeen country...

and the only game base in france I can think of is onimusha3 and it was made by japanese.(well except the occationnal sport game, or world war 2 shooter )
I think when a game is to be made u look at what the market wan t...and I am not sure the american market would be interested by a game set in france:)