PDA

View Full Version : No need for a Flash Cleaner

wraggster
February 8th, 2007, 17:10
The Noobz crew posted this news:

After some exhaustive testing, we've now come to the conclusion that there is no unnecessary wastage of flash space during the 3.03 downgrader process.

This means that our belief that there would be a need for a "flash cleaning" application was wrong - you should be able to upgrade and downgrade your PSP at will, with no serious problems except for the ever-present small risk from any downgrader.

Our original theory was based upon the fact that Fanjita's Undiluted Platinum test PSP showed signs of having run out of space on the flash, after several cycles of upgrade and downgrade.

The symptom, for reference, was an error code of "8001001C when starting ipl_update.prx" - which means "no space left on device" - when trying to run the 3.03 downgrader.

But after an extensive test of 10 upgrade/downgrade cycles between v3.03 and v1.50 without any problems, we believe we can now put the problem down to issues with the interaction between the Undiluted Platinum flasher program, and v3.00+ firmwares, which has previously caused flash problems with other people's UP PSPs.

So ... no worries!

via noobz (http://www.noobz.eu/joomla/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=42&Itemid=88888898)

Shrygue
February 8th, 2007, 17:13
Ah good, this is really useful news to hear.

M-Lin
February 8th, 2007, 17:31
does this mean there's a problem with UP and newer firmwares? Mine seems to be running fine with 3.10 OE A' on the psp nand...

ExcruciationX
February 8th, 2007, 17:37
So what does this do for us?

carlitx
February 8th, 2007, 18:04
so there is no limit to flashing a psp's flash meory now??? cause i herd a rumor that if u keep flashing stuff to the psp it will eventualy break down over time to the point of uselessness(1000 times to flash is wat i herd beofre it breaks)

ExcruciationX
February 8th, 2007, 18:27
so there is no limit to flashing a psp's flash meory now??? cause i herd a rumor that if u keep flashing stuff to the psp it will eventualy break down over time to the point of uselessness(1000 times to flash is wat i herd beofre it breaks)
Well, nothing is invincible. But the flash memory should last longer then that.

scottyboynow
February 8th, 2007, 18:49
I downgraded my brothers 3.03 2 days ago, I was shitting myself, but he is now on 3.03OE-C with me now, he only uses PSPRadio.

jerrt
February 8th, 2007, 18:50
any news on how the hardware patch built into the downgrader will affect upgrading later down the road? i remember hearing about how some that tried to upgrade back to sony's firmware got bricks, and i thought that might have had something to do with it. i just want to know all the information that i can so i'm asking.

Psphreak
February 8th, 2007, 21:10

As long as Sony doesn't come out with fw 1000.1, then we're good :p

LilSwish722
February 8th, 2007, 21:19
this is good news. now i wont hafta keep reminding my friends not to upgrade thier psp's from the 3.10OE-A fw, since I downgraded thiers from 3.03

Sharkey
February 8th, 2007, 21:36
Thanks for the info. I was keeping an eye out for some news on this every since I downgraded. Nice.

tael
February 10th, 2007, 02:12
Tihs sounds good!