PDA

View Full Version : Sony Boss Discusses PSP Homebrew

wraggster
February 8th, 2007, 21:30
Phil Harrison on his speach over at DICE 07

via gamespot (http://us.gamespot.com/news/6165596.html?om_act=convert&om_clk=newstop&tag=newstop;title;1)

Today, Sony Worldwide Studios president Phil Harrison sat in front of this high-powered crowd for an "informal" question-and-answer session with Newsweek games correspondent N'Gai Croal. GameSpot is on the scene with live updates of what the affable executive has to say.

Heres the PSP Bits

10:54: Sony will be adding deeper online functionality for the PSP later this year.

11:05: The next question talks about XNA (without directly mentioning it) and how it puts some of the power of making games into the hands of average users. Is Sony considering a response? Phil says that Sony started that with the Net Yaroze on the PS, continued it with Linux on the PS2, and is now continuing it with Linux on the PS3. Sony will continue to support that kind of homebrew and organized development initiatives.

The follow-up asks the obvious question about the PSP's place in all this. Phil claims that the PSP isn't well suited for homebrew. Croal name drops Dark_Alex, the hacker that's been busting open the PSP's firmware lately and opening it up for homebrew. Harrison has a sort of cryptic response about future announcements.

So the PSP isnt well suited for Homebrew eh, so the hundreds and hundreds of Homebrew Games, Demos, Emulators and Applications arent suited for the PSP??

Nice to see that Dark ALex and our Homebrew scene got mentioned to the Sony Boss, pity he thinks that the PSP isnt well suited :P

DIGG THIS ARTICLE (http://digg.com/gaming_news/Sony_Boss_Phil_Harrison_Says_PSP_isnt_Suited_for_H omebrew)

dthboi
February 8th, 2007, 21:33
that is crazy. psp is the best for homebrew. seriously who can whip out their portable console and listen to music, go on the net and play super mario world 3 on any other piece of electronic device?

Shrygue
February 8th, 2007, 21:33
Hmmm...now this is quite interesting to hear....

DarthPaul
February 8th, 2007, 21:35
Lmao!

gunntims0103
February 8th, 2007, 21:38
Is the Sony boss serious?

The main reason i play my psp is because of homebrew. If there was no homebrew you would find my psp old and dusty being relatively untouched.

I beg to differ with Heads at sony saying that, "the playstation portable is not well suited for homebrew".

Who are they kidding, the psp shows time and time again that homebrew development on the system is very good. Its one of the best homrbrew scenes out there.

Sony is in denial because they can't do what the homebrew scene can........

LilSwish722
February 8th, 2007, 21:41
dude. the psp is the most suited piece of hardware for homebrew. i swear sony is retarded

zoson
February 8th, 2007, 21:51
Honestly, who cares what they think. We have the device, and we can do what we want to it.

If Sony thinks that it's not well suited, good. That just means they think we're too small potatos to go after.

As long as they continue to think the PSP is not well suited, we probably won't see any further effort on Sony's part to secure the PSP further from homebrew.

Chuthbert
February 8th, 2007, 22:02
They would sell so many PSPs if they just accepted homebrew. Other than pirating actual PSP games (and PS1 games) I don't see why Sony oppose it so much. One of the major reasons I got a PSP was for homebrew. Llittle did I know about security and firmware... it came with 2.01 and it wasn't until the 2.80 ebootloader I could get any form of basic homebrew for it and exactly one year after I got my PSP that I could downgrade it to 1.5 and back up to custom firmware.

Zin0099
February 8th, 2007, 22:05
homebrew is the real reason I bought the psp and I screwed that one by updating my firmware! crap! when the psp is dead with new games and new firmware, maybe dark alex can make an offical fw release so i won't worry about bricking my psp. by the way does anyone know what file type psx games are on the play station store?

Junixx
February 8th, 2007, 22:05
Of course the PSP isn't suited for homebrew! It's just like cars aren't suited to drive! :rolleyes: :p

InanimateCrbnRod
February 8th, 2007, 22:12
lmao to above comment.

I bought my psp for homebrew as well. I personally hope sony doesn't accept homebrew because then it might turn out like xbox 360, sure it has xna, but I dont like any homebrew they have for it, if the psp turns out like that someone's getting shot.

kaffie
February 8th, 2007, 22:12
I bought a GP2X a device aimed at homebrew to play homebrew - its on a shelf dusty.
I bought my PSP originally to play PSP games, it loaded up full with... well you know - and in my pocket :P

drock82
February 8th, 2007, 22:20
what the hell:mad: is sony boss talkin about of course the top execs just sit in the offfice they dont actually make the console but just collect the money,but i bet if u ask the creator of the psp he'll probably say yes it is good for homebrew but lets take a stroll down emulator lane shall we....

snes
sega genesis
master system
nes
cps2- capcom excellent emulator
neo geo
psone
turbo grafix
atari
colecovision
mame

did i miss any im sure i did because the psp is loaded with emulator quality-good job on the specs sony without your expertise homebrew would not be possible:D

Emeriastone
February 8th, 2007, 22:31
Shhh! Don't tell the Sony boss! If doesn't know, don't tell him!

Turn2
February 8th, 2007, 22:32
It could be that this is the real reason for Sony's trouble as of late, maybe the Boss realy doesn't have a clue.

pain95
February 8th, 2007, 22:35
heeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeelp

yoshinatsu
February 8th, 2007, 22:37
Of course the PSP isn't suited for homebrew! It's just like cars aren't suited to drive! :rolleyes: :p

Hahaha!:rofl: :rofl:
Indeed.

lordnibbla
February 8th, 2007, 22:45
Of course the PSP isn't suited for homebrew! It's just like cars aren't suited to drive!

psp-homebrew = peas-pod
:thumbup:

Without homebrew I would have gave my psp to my brother already.

solid12345
February 8th, 2007, 22:47
Sony exec is just doing his job. They HAVE to officially go after homebrew because by supporting it, companies like Nintendo or Sega could legally go after them for helping make the piracy of their games possible. Just the way it is.

Wally
February 8th, 2007, 23:00
Sony Boss eh.

PSP was built for PSP games which all suck, so we all have to resort to homebrew to keep our investments safe..

Gimme a break SCE.

.:}<3\/!}\{:.
February 8th, 2007, 23:06
LOL! sony, sony, sony.............................OWNED!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!

Broadus
February 8th, 2007, 23:09
Not well suited? I must vomit thusly!
Man, what a craphead. They make an AMAZING system with AMAZING capabilities but treat it like crap, trying to limit it to playing movies that must be bought individually for the system, and crappy official games.

shadowprophet
February 8th, 2007, 23:13
Yeah. of course sony isn't going to condone homebrew.
In sonys opinion their system was made specifically for intent to be used with sonys commercial media.

Im certain they view homebrew as a pesky nuisancee that cuts into their commercial profits.
To those people that would expect sony to warm up to the idea of homebrew. You have to give some thought to sonys stance on this. No matter how many achievements we accomplish no matter how many hurdles we overcome, no matter how proud we are, sony locks their consoles for a reason. They simply do not support what we do.
To expect sony to warm up to our scene is little more then wishful thinking. And besides. As much as it would please some of us to have sonys support. We don't really need their approval to succeed in our scene, nor their permissions. Sony will just have to make due understanding. that we aren't all mindless commercial puppets looking for an official sony seal quality on each and every application we play on the consoles we paid good money for. End of story.

devdj
February 8th, 2007, 23:48
man the psp is one of the most hackable machines in the world.

carlitx
February 9th, 2007, 00:03
yaa wtf was he smokin when he said psp aint suited for home brew once again wtf he must of been smokin some good dope(where can i get some o that sh!t eh...j/k) but come on the psp is friggin amazing for playing user made games apps and emus i mean look at it we have a fully functional ps1, gba, nes, snes cps2, sega and countless other emus that are amazing for consoules on the go and than we have Lua and C++ yet another great thing which has givin us cfw games and apps the sony is to stupid to make, oh man this guy is wak in my opinion no wonder sony is running its self into the ground. forget C+D, DAX, fanjita, and others as sony's eneymies. sony is there own worst enemy. once again WHAT THE F*CK!

DragonPimpsta
February 9th, 2007, 00:25
that is crazy. psp is the best for homebrew. seriously who can whip out their portable console and listen to music, go on the net and play super mario world 3 on any other piece of electronic device?

most cell phones

Veskgar
February 9th, 2007, 00:52
Perfect example:

POPS PSX Emulator.

Sony sure as hell didn't have it ready to go for the PSP's launch. I doubt it got much serious thought when the PSP was being designed.

It might even be safe to say that SONY was at first OK with homebrew seeing how their first firmware versions allowed for unsigned code and didn't even have the security protection in place.

I think SONY saw how popular homebrew was, especially with emulation and THEN decided to release a PS1 Emulator. I'm honestly surprised that SONY has not tried to get licensing rights for other retro platforms similar to the Nintendo Wii's virtual console. But maybe that will come in the future with the PS3.

I don't know of any other handheld multimedia device that is better for homebrew. The PSP just happens to the the perfect machine for homebrew at the moment. And what makes PSP homebrew so special and impressive is that it is all unofficial. Its amazing the talent that has been shown in creating magnificent homebrew apps & emulators. And we cannot forget the best homebrew accomplishment of all.... 3.xx OE custom firmware from Dark_AleX.

I would like to see older emulators get updated and continued. Emulators like NesterJ, DGEN, HuE, etc. have not seen updates in many months. I especially hope for a Turbo Grafx 16 (PC Engine) emulator. I know we already have a couple but I don't think they have high compatibility.

most cell phones
You can't honestly think that cell phones can compete with what the PSP can do.

tsurumaru
February 9th, 2007, 00:57
"Harrison has a sort of cryptic response about future announcements."

Hmm this was slightly concerning, hope its not in the form of C&D's!

comicgeek
February 9th, 2007, 01:52
I'm kinda concerned with all the publicity fixed on Dark_Alex

Ramza042
February 9th, 2007, 02:19
I especially hope for a Turbo Grafx 16 (PC Engine) emulator. I know we already have a couple but I don't think they have high compatibility.

Dude, you been under a rock, or what? :D

e[mulator] runs every game gear, nes, neo-geo, game boy and TG16 game I have ever thrown at it. I've never had any compatibility problems.

Also, back on topic, who cares what the sony boss thinks? He's probably some fat-arse greaser just getting fatter and richer every day.

Just because Sony says they don't support homebrew, I don't believe that they are doing much to stop it. I think they leave holes in the firmware so people will find them, and try to exploit them, and in the process, brick a few more psp to put more money in the fat-arse's pocket.

F9zDark
February 9th, 2007, 02:30
The PSP is easiest homebrew console on the market and requires nothing more than a memory stick and usb cable. How is it not suited for homebrew?

Because its not officially sanctioned homebrew?

Just give it up Sony, you have lost; it would be better for you all to just embrace homebrew on the PSP. Give us what we want while at the same time locking down the pirates.

I'd be willing to forego using my own UMD dumps if Sony would give us official homebrew capability.

SSaxdude
February 9th, 2007, 03:11
I bought a PSP hoping for an advanced piece of handheld gaming hardware. After a few months all I was using it for was videos and mp3s. After I found homebrew, all I did was learn how to put more homebrew on my PSP and explore emulators I've never tried. If I didn't find homebrew, I would have sold my PSP a long time ago. I seriously think I've used homebrew at least 4 times as much as the commercial games or what the PSP was designed for.

rabidchild
February 9th, 2007, 04:46
If not for homebrew, I would have sold my psp, just like everyone else I know who had a psp did. Seems to me the psp isn't suited for Sony's management, so I'm thankful to the people who did rise to the challenge and made it the best handheld ever.

jerrt
February 9th, 2007, 04:55
hey, some one get me his address at work. i'm going to drop off a firmware "enhanced" psp. i sort of feel bad the guy has been missing so much. [:

seriously. i'm not kidding. someone needs to show this man what their dream can do and then find out why they are sitting on it.

NoQuarter
February 9th, 2007, 05:14
I would like to know what that cryptic response was.
Hopefully they will realise the potential that the great psp homebrew coders have opened up.
Seriously, other than tekken I mainly use my psp for homebrew.
Most of the commercial games suck and really drain the battery by using the umd.
If it wasn't for Dark Alex I'd still be using 1.5,it's nice to be able to have homebrew and the newer firmware features.

titch.ryan
February 9th, 2007, 08:24
omg does he know what he is talking about the psp homebrew scene is massive and the amount of homebrew that is available shows how well suited the platform is.

SpooForBrains
February 9th, 2007, 11:53
Give us what we want while at the same time locking down the pirates.

See, that's the problem. They can't do that. If you open up the console for homebrew, you also open it up for pirating. I think that's what he means by the fact that the PSP is unsuited for homebrew.

With the PS3, they give what is basically a runtime environment for your homebrew (as I understand it), in the form of PS3 Linux. It only gives you limited control over the console and doesn't allow you to circumvent their various copy protection controls.

The Net Yaroze was even worse. My friend had one because he actually wanted to become a games developer. It was locked down to such an extent as to make it mostly useless. He spent a bunch of time developing a game but I couldn't see it because he'd lost one of the fifteen pieces of copy-protection crap that went with it.

You couldn't do that on a PSP. It doesn't have the necessary bits to run Linux effectively, so they can't provide a safe runtime environment for homebrew. The only way is to open the console up, which also leads to ISO loaders. Can't have the one without the other.

John Vattic
February 9th, 2007, 14:00
I just use the PSP as directed. I only watch UMD movies and play UMD games. I only play MP3's I purchased online. And I install firmware updates like a religous man.

I am a total slave :(

shango46
February 9th, 2007, 20:20
I believe that this "boss" has never even played the PSP. Why do I say this? Because if he did we would have a better variety of games ( actually good games ), a better online content system ( Maybe ) and yes, probably some form of homebrew enabled. Here is an idea for Sony; Before putting someone in power like that, make sure he is not completely fu**ing retarded!

mavsman4457
February 9th, 2007, 20:51
There's no use getting worked up over this. It's never going to change until a completely new handheld is made that can run linux or something like it.

mickey61
February 9th, 2007, 21:08
Same here if not for homebrew i would had sold it 3 months ago for about 125$ but now i use it more then my pc and ps2 hell i care it with me every were even at work...................thanks to Dark Alex

nmkrapper
February 9th, 2007, 21:31
I also bought PSP for homebrew !
( actually for homebrew-emulators )

I'm loving PSP, it reminds me ol' good times of 8-bit NES games, etc.

aries2k4
February 10th, 2007, 12:48
Yep, if it hadnīt been for homebrew my psp would have been gathering dust a long time ago.
Either the sony guy has been living under a rock or heīs just trying his best to pretend homebrew doesnīt exist.
"PSP isnīt suited for homebrew"?.Lol, poor shmuck.

froggie22
February 10th, 2007, 13:29
as soon as i got my psp i googled a gameboy advanced emulator. even spent about a month on the official forums asking about one but my post just kept getting deleted. i havnt playd a UMD in about 2 months now all coz of homebrew. i brought Dday and playd it for literally 5 mins and took it out and played some homebrew and havnt use it since.... this console is the best suited for homebrew.. this boss is a retard...

kharaboudjan
February 10th, 2007, 13:37
i totally agree with all of you.. i have probably been using my psp at least 10-20 times more for homebrew than official games, movies, music etc..

i bought the psp directly when it came to europe mainly becuz i thought it would be a handheld SNES ( it has the same buttoms as the SNES controller)..

after several of months with no good SNES emu or any other nice homebrew i was wondering if i should bought some other system like the GP32 or GP2X..

but last summer i picked up my psp more often than before, the SNES emu was pretty ok, there was an almost perfect (nowadays perfect) GBA emu released by Exophase and NJ showed us his skills with the perfect CPS2 emulator.. and that was just the beginning.. now we have a perfect PS1 emu thanx to Dark Alex (and sony).. i mean i use my psp like all the time.. and i gotta say i was fallen in love when i first tried the PS1 emulator on my psp!

im so fascinated for all the superb psp emulators that has been released for the psp.. thanx to the psp homebrew coders! i love you all :D