PDA

View Full Version : Chart Track is to include digital downloads( Live Arcade, Steam, Virtual Console)

Darksaviour69
February 9th, 2007, 13:15
The move reflects the increasing importance of downloads in the entertainment sector in general – with the music industry, of course, already fully embracing non-physical sales of singles and albums. And the step will also further underline the strength of the ChartTrack UK data, which is already the envy of other territories around the world.

The fragmented nature of the sector means that negotiations are on-going, but ChartTrack has detailed plans in place already.

“We’re some way off downloads becoming a big part of the business, but it’s coming,” said ChartTrack’s Dorian Bloch. “And part of our mission statement is to follow the market wherever it goes.”

It is expected that downloads will appear first in the PC charts once retailers start to offer games via their websites, but as Bloch points out: “We can’t incorporate some retail downloads without incorporating them all.”

Downloads via Xbox 360, PS3 and Wii, however, present a tougher challenge. “Console download data is held by the format holders, and for us to get that data will require a lot of negotiation as they might not necessarily be forthcoming with it straight away,” Bloch stated. “With consoles, the integration will probably be later rather than sooner as someone needs to independently verify the sales. And we hope that will be us.”

source: mcvuk.com (http://www.mcvuk.com/Downloads-to-shake-up-games-charts)

Broadus
February 9th, 2007, 14:56
Downloadable games for in-home consoles? That already sounds like trouble. Y'know someone will just figure out how to distribute the games for free.
I've never really liked buyable downloadable games myself. I always feel that a solid object like a disc or a cartridge is much more reliable and reassuring.
I mean, how many times do they let you download the game after buying it? Don't they always have some kind of "download expiration date" or something? What if something bad happens to your downloaded game, whether it be by deletion or uninstallation or a horrible, violent explosion? Then you'll have to buy it again.

Darksaviour69
February 9th, 2007, 15:30
no it does not work that way, for example, on the x360 you Arcade game you buy is linked to you gamertag. you can delete the game and download it again for free. I think its the same for steam