PDA

View Full Version : I installed the ISO of Kallistios and CGYWIN... now what?

J_Villa1983
February 9th, 2007, 17:45
I installed the CD with CGYWIN and the Kallistios on my WinXP machine.. but i'm a bit stuck, I have no Idea to go from here. Theres probably a tutorial that I skipped over somewhere on this website.

anyway i guess a good place to start is that, I saw one of the other downloads allowed it (kallistios) to work with Visual C++ Express 2005, but when I installed it there were no new templates or anything to show that anything was changed!

Is it better to use Visual C++ or can I accomplish getting things set up easier by using dev-c++?
Or should I just scrap the whole thing and set a linux box up to do all my coding with?

-JV

quzar
February 9th, 2007, 18:05
Well, it depends. There are methods to integrate both dev-cpp and vc++ with the standard gcc configuration for dc dev. Personally, I use cygwin's command prompt directly for compilation, then just use VS 6.0 as my code editor. I'm an odd duck though, I've just always used VS 6.0 so I'm extremely comfortable with it.

J_Villa1983
February 12th, 2007, 16:22
what would be the arguments that you would use when compiling a program for DC from cygwin? If i need to do it this way I will. i'd rather use an IDE for my coding but.. if thats what i gotta do, so be it. Any other suggestions for me to follow?

J_Villa1983
February 12th, 2007, 20:43
Ok so I had figured out how to set up Dev-C++ from one of the forum guides listed above.. but i'm having a problem. i'm getting this error when i compile any file via devcpp..

33 C:\Dev-Cpp\Examples\DreamCast\tunnel\Makefile.win [Build Error] *** multiple target patterns. Stop.

line 33 says:

plprint.o: plprint.cpp plprint.hIn file included from C:/Dev-Cpp/dcinclude/kos.h:27, from plprint.cpp:9:

Does anyone know what this means?

-JV

BB Hood
February 14th, 2007, 20:58
I suggest using CYGWIN to compile your code and use Dev C++ to edit it. Do you know how to work a command prompt? Did you install R3 version of the Dreamcast Dev Environment?

J_Villa1983
February 15th, 2007, 18:27
ok... it looks like i'm going to need to do some more research. I ended up downloading the revision 1 that was availabe via the dreamcast downloads section of dreamcast.dcemu.co.uk.

actually now that I look at whats included in the release it looks like its the same as the one that I have.. just the file that's I extracted from the rar thats burnible to the CD is called DCDEV_R1.

I know how to work a command prompt.. I just need to know what flags to use when I compile via gcc. I know cygwin is much like unix.. it shouldn't take much learn what to do.(i hope)

-JV

Darksaviour69
February 15th, 2007, 18:39
thats revision 3

Version: R3

http://dreamcast.dcemu.co.uk/cgi-bin/cfiles.cgi?0,0,0,0,84,494

btw if you find other useful stuff that could be added to the developers section please either submit it to the cfiles or tell me please.

thanks

J_Villa1983
February 15th, 2007, 18:54
ok.. I found it. When I downloaded the file before, I looked for the ISO and not the diskjuggler file. oops.. well i'll get back to you all when I get it up and running!

Thanks a bunch so far!

-JV

J_Villa1983
February 19th, 2007, 14:05
Ok... I installed everything (The revision 3 dev kit this time) and everything looks like it works. What switches would I use when invoking gcc to compile the example files?

-JV

quzar
February 19th, 2007, 14:09
use the included makefiles. so just browse to the directory and type "make" without quotes.

J_Villa1983
February 19th, 2007, 16:39
what about when I compile my own program? .. I should have asked that too with my previous question.

BB Hood
February 20th, 2007, 00:58
you just make a makefile. Here is one I use:

[makefile]
TARGET = name.elf
OBJS = charbmp.o gfx.o
all: rm-elf $(TARGET)

include $(KOS_BASE)/Makefile.rules

#KOS_CFLAGS += -o3 -fstrict-aliasing -fomit-frame-pointer -ffunction-sections
clean:
-rm -f $(TARGET) $(OBJS) romdisk.*

rm-elf:
-rm -f $(TARGET) romdisk.*

$(TARGET): $(OBJS) romdisk.o
$(KOS_CC) $(KOS_CFLAGS) $(KOS_LDFLAGS) -o $(TARGET) $(KOS_START) \
$(OBJS) romdisk.o $(OBJEXTRA) -L$(KOS_BASE)/lib -lSDL_image -lSDL_mixer -lSDL -lpng -ljpeg -ltremor -lz -lm -lk++ $(KOS_LIBS)

romdisk.img:
$(KOS_GENROMFS) -f romdisk.img -d romdisk -v

romdisk.o: romdisk.img
$(KOS_BASE)/utils/bin2o/bin2o romdisk.img romdisk romdisk.o

run: $(TARGET)
$(KOS_LOADER) $(TARGET)

TARGET = name.elf (Here you can name the .elf whatever you want).

OBJS = charbmp.o gfx.o (Here is the object files that come from the compiler. Whatever '.c' , '.cpp' you use you add it here and replace the .c and .cpp with a .o .

-L$(KOS_BASE)/lib -lSDL_image -lSDL_mixer -lSDL -lpng -ljpeg -ltremor -lz -lm -lk++ $(KOS_LIBS) (Here is where the libs go)