PDA

View Full Version : PSP & PS3 Network to Unify

wraggster
February 9th, 2007, 20:54
Speaking in this morning's Q&A session at D.I.C.E. in Las Vegas today, SCE Worldwide Studios chief Phil Harrison gave hope to PlayStation Portable fans that change is on its way for the system's disjointed online arrangement.

In a question about the PlayStation 3 online network and its thus far lacking feature set, Harrison addressed the concern by stating that the platform's online feature set would be refined and expanded over its current offering. In addition, he mentioned that the PSP would factor into the PlayStation Network online plans.

"This year we'll be adding some functionality to the PSP that will unify our approach", Harrison said. (For more of the Q&A, catch a blog of his answers on gaming industry site Gamasutra.)

Exactly what that unification would mean, however, was not explained. Ideally, the feature set would mimic that of the PS3 (at least, as far as the technical abilities of the system will allow), and would bring to PSP both the PlayStation Store and the PlayStation Network online system brought out with the launch of PS3. The PSP is currently without a unified network plan, and has suffered online play offerings because of this -- few developers support the PSP's online mode, and gamers have a hard time trying to find friends online without a shared cross-title Friends List. PSP gamers have also been enraged by the fact that the long-awaited PS one download feature made its debut only in tandem with the PlayStation 3 console -- gamers cannot directly download PS one games to PSP at the moment because the PlayStation Store has not yet been made available for PSP.

Bringing either feature to PSP would be a welcome addition to the system and would help make use of the PSP's untapped potential. Phil Harrison today also commented on the missed opportunities with PSP, saying that developers have been able to provide PS2-quality gaming on a portable for the first time, yet have not gone beyond that. Its social aspects and media offerings, according to Harrison, make the format unique and offer game designers the opportunity to create unique content. Ideally, future PSP developments (including those assisted by the new networking features spoken of earlier) will help the handheld realize that opportunity.

via ign (http://uk.psp.ign.com/articles/763/763025p1.html)

mavsman4457
February 9th, 2007, 21:03
This is good but I bet the new firmwares will check everytime if there is a new firmware update like the PS3 does so you can't go online unless you have the latest firmware. Let's just hope Dark_AleX can get around that if it does happen.

ALF
February 10th, 2007, 03:44
Just have to say one thing and thats UNITY!!!

Finally Sony is showing the love, Unify those two before ends meet. Or did that already happen:p

But really Sony needs to stop loafing around and get off there asses. Hopefully this is the start of that.:)

Zin0099
February 11th, 2007, 11:02
finally those who are screwed with 3.03-3.10 fw, LIKE ME! can finally play psx games on psp w/out a ps3

personally I think sony should build a program that allows us the gamer to copy our hard games to the psp!and if we have to copy it directly to the "ms duo" and can't copy it to pc or ps3 for backups I'm fine with that

and also make an universal remote(yes I know someone already made one) the IR link is just sitting there