PDA

View Full Version : Former GameCube developer calls early Wii graphics sloppy

wraggster
February 10th, 2007, 10:22
via joystiq (http://www.joystiq.com/2007/02/09/former-gamecube-developer-calls-early-wii-graphics-sloppy/)

Developer Factor 5 is no stranger to Nintendo consoles. The company's Rogue Squadron II launch title for GameCube arguably pushed the purple box hardware further than most, right out of the gate. In its time (and perhaps still today) the game is a looker.

That said, the company's CEO Julian Eggebrecht was critical of first-generation Wii graphics while speaking with IGN yesterday. In short, he called developer efforts "sloppy" as many Wii launch titles output worse graphics than some GameCube games, notably Resident Evil 4. From the interview: "I really have to say, boy, am I disappointed [with early Wii graphics]... I was digging out Rebel Strike the other day and was looking at it, and we had some people who were visiting ask, 'Why isn't anybody else doing this on Wii?' and I am at a loss."

Though Eggebrecht originally criticized Wii's hardware back in October of last year, it sounds like he's at least on board the fun train. "I love the Wii, absolutely... Everybody really should have one." Still, we can't help but echo his distaste for inexcusable sloppy graphics by some Wii developers.

sonikku88
February 10th, 2007, 14:13
I totally agree. I've been playing StarFox Adventures recently and I noticed how the graphics are so much better than most of the Wii games out now, especially Twilight Princess.

DPyro
February 10th, 2007, 14:44
Ya, PSmonkey said he got the Gamecube version of TP instead of the Wii version.

Kramer
February 10th, 2007, 14:49
Ya, PSmonkey said he got the Gamecube version of TP instead of the Wii version.

LOL.

What's that got to do with anything im sure the graphics are exactly the same excet the wii version has 16:9 and the Wii is capable of 480p so it might look a little better.

sonikku88
February 10th, 2007, 22:32
LOL.

What's that got to do with anything im sure the graphics are exactly the same excet the wii version has 16:9 and the Wii is capable of 480p so it might look a little better.

I've played and completed both Wii and GC versions of TP, and I can safely say, in terms of textures and polygons and stuff, there's no graphical difference between the two. The graphical upgrades the Wii has, such as 480p and 16:9 widescreen, are what make TP for Wii better looking.

Still, you'd think because the Wii has bigger discs than the GC, Nintendo could have updated some textures and models to make things look more life-like.

I heart Nintendo
February 10th, 2007, 22:39
Eggebrecht can suck my Wii remote. As for some of the graphics looking worse on Wii than GC - it's down to the developers, not the hardware.

There are some Dreamcast games that look better than many PS2 titles and even touch shoulders with some GameCube and Xbox titles.

Developers, not hardware.

Demolition49
February 11th, 2007, 14:09
Much agreed, wii has much more capability, its around an equivalent of xbox processing power right? The graphics developers are slapping on it really look LAZY. i mean i know they were rushed and stuff but come on wii has double power of the gamecube make a little effort guys... I think developers have just labeled the wii last gen console and therefore given it last gen graphics and havnt attempted. But they do support the machine because it is so popular. maybe later this year we will see some game that have had some effort put in to them.

basilb
February 11th, 2007, 17:29
i think the pressure of having the games ready at launch was the most deciding factor in some of the first wave wii-games' graphics being rough

sonikku88
February 11th, 2007, 18:25
Eggebrecht can suck my Wii remote. As for some of the graphics looking worse on Wii than GC - it's down to the developers, not the hardware.

There are some Dreamcast games that look better than many PS2 titles and even touch shoulders with some GameCube and Xbox titles.

Developers, not hardware.

Sorry if I seem like I'm contradicting myself, only I didn't read the part where he was bashing the hardware, but I agree with you about the developer thing. Hopefully they'll realise the Wii's potential and produce some jaw-dropping graphics for future Wii games.

Plus, if Rare was still working for Nintendo, we'd have at least one company producing awesome graphics in their Wii games.