PDA

View Full Version : Is Skype coming to the PSP?

wraggster
February 10th, 2007, 11:05
http://www.blogsmithmedia.com/www.pspfanboy.com/media/2007/02/skypeplugin.jpg

via pspfanboy (http://www.pspfanboy.com/2007/02/09/is-skype-coming-to-the-psp/)

This mumbo-jumbo that appears on your screen happens to be code extracted from a decrypted version of firmware 3.10. MaTiAz appears to have uncovered a reference to a "skype_plugin" within the code. While the functionality is clearly not present in the current revision of PSP's firmware, it appears that Sony's working on something for a future upgrade. Historically, it appears that hints to future functionality is hidden away in the code: references to the PSP camera and GPS were found in earlier decrypted firmware, long before they were officially released.

A similar Sony product, the Mylo, has implemented Skype functionality in the past. Certainly, being able to have some kind of VoIP service (free, or not) would increase the value of Sony's portable even more. Will you celebrate if Sony releases this in a future firmware revision?

Lets hope for a Dark ALex release with Skype ;)

Method Man
February 10th, 2007, 11:48
yeah, skype would be nice, expecially with the socom head-set

Psyberjock
February 10th, 2007, 11:48
I really hope that it does become implemented, but I won't hold my breath. You'll also remember that the leaked 1.0 update had reference to an email program, word processor, and other goodies that never seemed to reappear in later firmware.

But here's to hoping!:D

Cloudhunter
February 10th, 2007, 14:38
I noticed this a few days ago aswell :)

My guess it will probably be in a later firmware :)

3.20 or (more likely) 3.50 anyone? :thumbup:

Cloudy

Veskgar
February 10th, 2007, 17:13
That would be cool. No need for a MYLO then.

Whatever happened to the Mylo? Did it ever take off? Anyone ever get one?

xg917
February 10th, 2007, 17:25
i wanted to get it but my dad was like y would u need that wen u can get a psp for like the same price and same features and more! so i ended up buying a psp later on. :p :D

DarthPaul
February 10th, 2007, 19:32
Ok ok, for what i have read it sounds cool... but what the hell is Skype?

gdf
February 10th, 2007, 20:03
i think it's an IM and internet phone service...

xg917
February 10th, 2007, 20:09
its like AIM and MSN, but like no1 uses it.. lol

pkmaximum
February 10th, 2007, 20:31
I'm actually surprised that no coder has made a homebrew yet for VOIP on the PSP. W/E I guess we will just have to wait and see what other things SONY can legally pack into their firmwares to try and see if people will follow their updates.

In my head the PSX emulator was the last chance they had at getting people to update, but D_A completely owned them there =P

gdf
February 10th, 2007, 20:44
yeah it's ironic that the best feature on psp is actually made more functional and widespread through the homebrew scene.

KuLeD00d
February 10th, 2007, 22:43
Bleh I hated skype since I heard of it, and will continue to hate it... if it lets me use msn... i may look the other way

Ice_Cold
February 10th, 2007, 23:04
It could perhaps a ploy by sony?

to increase sales psp?

they knew firmware was decrypt, matter of time only

Psyberjock
February 11th, 2007, 07:32
In my head the PSX emulator was the last chance they had at getting people to update, but D_A completely owned them there =P

Amen to that!

Roache
February 11th, 2007, 20:06
skype is a cool idea but what would rather see is usb otg and more codecs.

F9zDark
February 11th, 2007, 21:14
its like AIM and MSN, but like no1 uses it.. lol

It has 100 million users and its a form of VoIP. And being that its free, its easily passed onto friends, creating your own little network, to whom you can have constant access to if you are in a WiFi enabled area.

This is an awesome prospect and something I have been waiting for for ages. Sadly my PSP doesn't charge while using Wifi (don't know if this is supposed to be that way...), making it impossible to have my PSP always on and online. (Thus limiting the usage of Skype considerably.)

What makes this a good idea is that, if it becomes a reality, I could reduce my cell phone plan to the minimum and use Skype to pick up the slack, because, aside from emergency calls, there really is no place that I use my phone where I don't have access to wifi.

Added:

Also, one can call traditional telephone lines using SkypeOut for 2.5 US cents per minute. Man this would own if it came to PSP.