PDA

View Full Version : Nintendo Using New Chip to Combat Piracy

wraggster
February 11th, 2007, 00:03
Nintendo are now using a new chip called the Matronix Chip in the game DS Air,

Heres what was posted at an hacking site

A possibly new protection method was implied to the latest NDS Game Jet Impulse/DS Air. Two of our suppliers have tried WRG DUMP 1.4/M3 and got the same dumping problems. This game is 1Gbit in size and uses the Macronix chip. A noticeable fact is that this is the first 1Gbit.

Nintendo Fighting back at last ?

kcajblue
February 11th, 2007, 00:26
this could be a problem unless its only that game.

DanTheManMS
February 11th, 2007, 00:27
I'm pretty sure Elite Beat Agents is 1 Gbit (128 MBytes), though I don't know which one was released first.

kcajblue
February 11th, 2007, 00:35
there a lot of games that are 128MB

raging_bull
February 11th, 2007, 00:51
True, look at Elite Beat Agents and Resident Evil - Deadly Silence..

The Hombrew Hunter
February 11th, 2007, 02:51
Ffiii.

Keitaro Urashima
February 11th, 2007, 02:52
Way to go Nintendo. No more piracy for me. You never know, if your game is defective or not.^^

HousePlant
February 11th, 2007, 03:15
This isnt the first 1 gbit game.

woods05
February 11th, 2007, 03:29
this is good, no more stealers.

kcajblue
February 11th, 2007, 03:34
what about people who back up their cartridges just in case something happens to it.

Auriman1
February 11th, 2007, 03:57
Direct quote from a DS game manual:

Copying of any video game for any Nintendo system is illegal and is strictly prohibited by domestic and international intellectual property laws. "Back-up" or "archival" copies are not authorized and are not necessary to protect your software. Violators will be prosecuted.

Their specifically targeting back-ups in this statement would support the idea of an anti-dumping chip being implemented sooner or later, although I'm not sure if this is the case. Maybe the chip is just using a new format that's incompatible with older dumping equipment?

iniquitous_beast
February 11th, 2007, 04:48
what about people who back up their cartridges just in case something happens to it.

Flawed logic. How often does something happen to your cartridge? Are they so rare that they must be handled with rubber gloves and kept in a vault? If your house were to burn down with your game cartridge inside it, would your backup (most likely also in your house) be any better off?

Those who back up their games do it for piracy reasons. There are a few legit reasons besides piracy, but none of them are "in case something happens to my main copy".

Shadowblind
February 11th, 2007, 05:14
See, I think its good of Nintendo to fight piracy. Just as long as they dont mess too much with homebrew.

kcajblue
February 11th, 2007, 06:20
Direct quote from a DS game manual:

Copying of any video game for any Nintendo system is illegal and is strictly prohibited by domestic and international intellectual property laws. "Back-up" or "archival" copies are not authorized and are not necessary to protect your software. Violators will be prosecuted.

Their specifically targeting back-ups in this statement would support the idea of an anti-dumping chip being implemented sooner or later, although I'm not sure if this is the case. Maybe the chip is just using a new format that's incompatible with older dumping equipment?

Flawed logic. How often does something happen to your cartridge? Are they so rare that they must be handled with rubber gloves and kept in a vault? If your house were to burn down with your game cartridge inside it, would your backup (most likely also in your house) be any better off?

Those who back up their games do it for piracy reasons. There are a few legit reasons besides piracy, but none of them are "in case something happens to my main copy".just so you guys know, im not one of the people who does that.
i was just stating it, for everyone to hear.

Junixx
February 11th, 2007, 06:36
Those who back up their games do it for piracy reasons. There are a few legit reasons besides piracy, but none of them are "in case something happens to my main copy".

There are sometimes where it's good to have backups, such as I lost a game holder (4 games) on a bus ride once, fell out of my pocket or something. Still have the case and everything with the backups, although not too much use to me.. thats just once of those instances though

Mourningstar
February 11th, 2007, 09:27

I love having all my games on one card...

Fetty
February 11th, 2007, 10:47
what about people who back up their cartridges just in case something happens to it. they have nothing to fear because they dont exist... for the cost of a ds cart dumper one could purchase duplicate copies of the games they wanted instead

lexluthor
February 11th, 2007, 13:36

How many of those people actually exist... I mean... seriously!?

toymin80r
February 11th, 2007, 13:55
hopefully we can still get a unprotected Zelda cartridge when it comes out, or else ill go out and buy it.

Hateshinai
February 11th, 2007, 16:10
Is it possible that the new chip provides some extra processing power like the SNES FX chip used in Starfox? In this case dumping the ROM would be no use because none of the back-up carts would be able to run the game anyhow.

basilb
February 11th, 2007, 16:58

I had a load of my nds games stolen when I was on holiday last year, I'm glad I had back ups of them.

Cygoku
February 12th, 2007, 15:31
Is it possible that the new chip provides some extra processing power like the SNES FX chip used in Starfox? In this case dumping the ROM would be no use because none of the back-up carts would be able to run the game anyhow....that would just be a matter of time,...

Cygoku

souLLy
February 14th, 2007, 15:41
Let me remind everyone that warez is not acceptable on the forums.

'Back-ups' is just a nicer sounding word for piracy and warez, I don't care about what your personal views on what should be allowed or not, the rule on the forums is no warez.

DanTheManMS
February 15th, 2007, 01:53
Well, the game appears to have been dumped successfully anyway, so this thread is a bit useless as it is now.