PDA

View Full Version : cleaning dreamcast?

ganonbanned
February 11th, 2007, 00:49
I got my DC last summer, I bought it only for homebrew purposes and have only played an un-burned game once on it. It has basically just been sitting there, for some reason every disk I made doesnt work, and its starting to piss me off. I just downloaded the marathon trilogy CDI from dcevolution, burned it using bootdreams, and now my DC is stuck on the start up screen. what the hell? my DC is compatible, and I read somewhere that your DC (lens) has to be very clean to read burned games. I remember when I played phantasy star online (the only other game I played) it wouldnt load at a certain point and I cleaned it multiple times before I finally sent it back ( I got it at a local game store.) should I clean it? whats wrong?

Thanks,
A noob

Ice_Cold
February 11th, 2007, 01:56
use cotton earbud and alchol (not beer :p)

that work should ;)

ganonbanned
February 11th, 2007, 02:02
My uncle has this thing that worked on my xbox, It was ablank CD with a brush on it. It cleaned the lens and let me play morrowind again! WOOT! would that work?

Ice_Cold
February 11th, 2007, 02:04
the cotton bud thing easy,.....

just wet with lens alcohol and rub in circle

then rub with side taht dry and your done :)

if no do that then way u said work i think

ganonbanned
February 11th, 2007, 02:19
alright thanks!

ganonbanned
February 11th, 2007, 03:11
I just cleaned it, it still happens! can I have the CD drive from an unworking PSX (mobo fried) in, I will only be playing homebrew?

Elven6
February 11th, 2007, 19:24
Drop by your local dollar store and pick up a cd cleaner, I found one at a Dollar Store a few days ago and I think it did something.

Christuserloeser
February 11th, 2007, 22:39
Recalibrate the laser:

http://www.whoneedsoxygen.net/index.php/2004/04/23/dreamcast-laser-calibration-trick/
http://www.consolevision.com/?Dreamcast:Tutorials:Fix_to_GD-ROM_calibration

(Thanks to Bertrude for the links)