PDA

View Full Version : Sony's success 'won't depend on MS or Nintendo'

wraggster
February 12th, 2007, 16:18
via gibiz (http://www.gamesindustry.biz/content_page.php?aid=22713)

Ready At Dawn president Didier Malenfant has told GamesIndustry.biz that Sony's performance in the next-gen console market will be determined by the actions of the company itself, not those of its rivals.

"It's their market to lose. That's the reality," Malenfant observed.

"It doesn't depend on Nintendo or Microsoft - it depends on them. They've got a great platform in the PS3, they've got great teams working with them, but every hardware transition is difficult.

"Next-gen involves a lot of money, it's a big investment, and it's going to be a difficult time of transition whether you're Microsoft or Sony."

Malenfant conceded that Sony's image has suffered in recent months, stating, "I think that's the price you pay for being the number one player in the industry. You can see that with Microsoft with operating systems - after a while, you become the favourite target."

He went on to argue that the negative press surrounding the company has worked in its competitor's favour: "All the buzz about Sony nicely hid the fact that Microsoft weren't selling many 360s and didn't really have any good games until Gears of War came out. I think everybody is in a similar position if you look at how PR gets handled and how things are interpreted."

Malenfant co-founded Ready At Dawn in 2003, and the studio has since produced PSP-exclusive title Daxter. RAD is now working with Sony once again on a new PSP game - but that doesn't mean that if the studio moves into next-gen development it will automatically look to the PlayStation 3.

"It all depends on the project. It could be PS3 or 360 or both," Malenfant said.

"If we find a game we're excited about and it happens to be on 360, we'll go for it. We just work with what the platform's capable of and get the most out of it rather than focusing on limitations."

kcajblue
February 12th, 2007, 17:18
Malenfant conceded that Sony's image has suffered in recent months, stating, "I think that's the price you pay for being the number one player in the industry."lmao :rofl:. yeah right. being hated makes you number one.

devdj
February 12th, 2007, 17:37
well sony better drop there prices on ps3 in europe or i'll be forced to sell my ps2 games to get an xbox 360 and anyway ps3 right now can only produce games with sharper textures but not great lighting effects and frames per second on x-box 360 are way better than ps3.

Shrygue
February 12th, 2007, 19:36
Hmmm, this is interesting news to hear...

NeoXCS
February 12th, 2007, 20:08
I'm getting sick of all the Sony bashing. The PS3 is a great system with lots of power behind it. It just needs to start dishing out some high quality titles. The cost isn't the end of the world, even in the high end one, considering it just came out. Also add on WiFi to the 360 for $90, that jacks its price a bit higher if you want WiFi for it. The Premium 360 with a WiFi adapter costs around $500. The high-end PS3 costs $600. It's only a $100 dollar difference. Give the PS3 a chance to get some great titles and the manufacturing price to go down a bit. :)

-=me=-
February 12th, 2007, 20:34
Sony success does depend on MS, AKA Memory Stick.

Shrygue
February 12th, 2007, 20:42
-=me=-, I think the MS bit mentioned in the top post was to mean the company Microsoft, not the memory sticks Sony makes.

-=me=-
February 12th, 2007, 21:42
yeah, i know, you just cant refer Microsoft as MS when sony uses MS memory sticks ;)

Shrygue
February 12th, 2007, 21:50
True but Memory Sticks weren't mentioned in the first post, the Microsoft company was. In that case, most would understand what MS means.

animekid4
February 12th, 2007, 22:04
sony is lulling its self into a false sence of security.=)

Shrygue
February 12th, 2007, 22:06
Indeed.

Shadowblind
February 12th, 2007, 22:07
Sony is very capable of making a comback. The problem is they will have to do an EXTREME revision of many different parts of their company and console, and they dont really seem to want to listen to its customers. But as of right now, Sony will be ruined by what it has done, and in the worst way possible.

Come on Sony, rethink your game plan and show us what your made of! :)

Joe88
February 12th, 2007, 23:10
I hate to tell you but sony isnt doing that bad as you people think at times...

kcajblue
February 13th, 2007, 00:33
Sony is very capable of making a comback. The problem is they will have to do an EXTREME revision of many different parts of their company and console, and they dont really seem to want to listen to its customers. But as of right now, Sony will be ruined by what it has done, and in the worst way possible.

Come on Sony, rethink your game plan and show us what your made of! :)they could make a comeback if they wanted, but they are not likely to change what they are doing right now.

Joe88
February 13th, 2007, 05:09
According to UK retailer Woolworths, advance orders of Sony's PS3 has broken all previous records with it being claimed that one of the console's is pre-ordered every 20 seconds!

Advance orders for Sony's highly anticipated PlayStation 3 console have broken all records, with high street stalwart Woolworths revealing it has been taking one order every 20 seconds during the past week.

The state-of-the-art PlayStation 3 will go head-to-head with Microsoft's Xbox 360 when it hits the shops on March 23 and Woolies, one of the first stores to accept pre-orders, has admitted it has been staggered by the demand.

Gerry Berkley, Woolworths' head of games, said, "It's the hottest gaming system since the PS2 launched in 2000 - demand will outstrip supply."

News Source: Vgcharts.org maxconsole.net

ish420ism
February 13th, 2007, 05:26
I don't give a fluck. I'll get the 360 now, and the ps3 later, when the dope software is out and poppin. No sweat off my bolas. Right??
Right!!
p.s. Sony Kicks A$$, you Haters. If you can't afford it, get a real job...What???

DessyDago
February 13th, 2007, 06:22
I don't give a fluck. I'll get the 360 now, and the ps3 later, when the dope software is out and poppin. No sweat off my bolas. Right??
Right!!
p.s. Sony Kicks A$$, you Haters. If you can't afford it, get a real job...What???

Why does the money thing always come up? If the ps3 was 200 dollars msrp right now I still wouldn't get it. I'm not a sony hater in the least, there just is no reason for me to get it right now. Well resistance is cool.... yah so is a whole lot of other pc shooters. Well oblivion is coming.... yah my pc oblivion looks better then the 360 or ps3 and its almost 3 years old. It's not about the money, its not even about anythign else besides the fact that there is no reason really to get one. So I kind of agree with this statement, sony can easily pull themself out of the shitter, just it won't be most of their doing, it will be a lot of third party support, the key for the ps2.

pkmaximum
February 13th, 2007, 15:22
I'm sure the ps3 will be something awesome to own once hackers, but their homebrew skill to work. And other coders take up development for the ps3. In the mean time I think the PS3 is fair in ist price... because you do have to look at the idea, there is a lot of hardware in that consul, and blue ray isn't exactly the cheapest thing in the world.

But yes I do agree, its fairly expensive for that average gamer, such as my self. There is no way I'm getting a ps3 any time soon... maybe not at all. But I do think its a promising consul that has a lot of potential, if the devlopers that are working for SONY can really pack a game into what the ps3 hardware can deliver =]