PDA

View Full Version : Duke3DS - "Hail to the king, baby!"

GPF
February 12th, 2007, 17:12
Its Released my entry into the Neoflash Coding Contest (http://www.neoflash.com/forum/index.php/topic,3934.0.html):.

SPREAD THE WORD

http://digg.com/gaming_news/Duke_Nukem_3D_DS

Heres Screenshots:

http://gpf.dcemu.co.uk/duke3ds3.png

http://gpf.dcemu.co.uk/duke3ds2.png

Release Info

Port of the Duke3d from the GP2x port
The home page of the NDS port is http://gpf.dcemu.co.uk .

dpad move Duke
a fire
b jump
x look up
y look down
lefttrig strafe left
righttrig strafe right
select use item
start select
touchscreen look around, change weapon

dldi patch .nds and copy it and defs.con, game.con, user.con, duke3d.grp and supplied duke3d.cfg to /duke3d directory of card. might be case sensitive with Uppercase. It still needs sound added and network support, but is playable with your own provided shareware .grp or full version .grp file.

thanks and enjoy,
Troy Davis(GPF)
http://gpf.dcemu.co.uk

Download Here (http://nintendo-ds.dcemu.co.uk/duke3ds-duke-nukem-3d-for-nintendo-ds-released-56734.html) .

Sektor
February 12th, 2007, 18:14
"Groovy!"
"Uh, Uh, Uh. Where is it?"
"What are you waiting for? Christmas?"

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0228246/quotes

GPF
February 13th, 2007, 07:04
"Groovy!"
"Uh, Uh, Uh. Where is it?"
"What are you waiting for? Christmas?"

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0228246/quotes

LOL, its still needs a lot of work, no sound and its pretty slow. I need some time to try to remove SDL and use libnds directly and see if I can make it faster.

Troy(GPF)

pas
February 13th, 2007, 17:05
I've been waiting for this for a long time. Great job GPF, can't wait to play it.

Reppa
February 13th, 2007, 19:49
Wohhh you rock's GPF. Duke nukem is my first FPS Game on pc, i put in my favorites this topic ^^

Diddl
February 13th, 2007, 22:13
cooool!! I wait for it hard!!

Is there a chance to get run shadow warrior also?

Sonic-NKT
February 13th, 2007, 23:11
awesome work GPF!!! never thought this would happen... cant wait to test it!

Mourningstar
February 14th, 2007, 01:37
G6

wolfpack
February 14th, 2007, 02:17
nice, if i had a homebrew cartridge for my ds, id try this in a heartbeat

Metaluna
February 14th, 2007, 07:58

I'm almost speechless! ;)

I've always thought this port was nearly impossible due to the memory limitation of the DS.

Adrenalin
February 14th, 2007, 08:26
You GENIUS!

Diddl
February 14th, 2007, 09:13
could you upload a test version for us. we want see it. please!!

Flawless_2007
February 14th, 2007, 23:44
ITS ABOUT TIME SOMEONE TRIED TO DO THIS... ive been waiting for along time, along with tons of others, you sir a GOD!!!

Mark30001
February 15th, 2007, 00:48
Congrats GPF! This truly is one of my most favorite games ever! :)

Metaluna
February 16th, 2007, 08:55
could you upload a test version for us. we want see it. please!!

he will upload it when it's done! ;)

Reppa
February 17th, 2007, 17:20
I've always thought this port was nearly impossible due to the memory limitation of the DS.

There's a time, ten years ago, you can launch windows 95 and duke nukem on a 486DX66 With 4MB of RAM.

So in theory running duke nukem on ds with a fat linker is possible ^^. Same Thing for Warcraft 2.

Sonny_Jim
February 18th, 2007, 06:47
There's a time, ten years ago, you can launch windows 95 and duke nukem on a 486DX66 With 4MB of RAM.

A PC has an MMU and therefore can use swapping. Even so, can you actually run Duke3d on a PC with 4MB?

Metaluna
February 18th, 2007, 08:33

So in theory running duke nukem on ds with a fat linker is possible ^^. Same Thing for Warcraft 2.

from 3D Realms website (http://www.3drealms.com/duke3d/index.html), the game requirements are :

"486DX2/66 with 8 megabytes of memory and VGA graphics. We STRONGLY recommend a good Pentium with 16Mb of memory and PCI local bus video."

Reppa
February 19th, 2007, 09:28
Well, I have a question for gpf, i recently put my face on Build Documentation (Duke3D level editor), i create level some years ago, and i want to create news level for this ds version.
So can i use my own map ? My idea is to modify duke grp file to create a free custom episode for this version

rigor
February 19th, 2007, 18:37
What about news on this port ? How it's going ? I really look forward for this awesome port!

Marcel100
March 19th, 2007, 16:43
And what's with this port?

GPF
March 20th, 2007, 09:37
And what's with this port?

http://www.neoflash.com/forum/index.php/topic,3934.msg27231.html#msg27231

I have entered it in the neoflash contest. download from the link above, will appreciate any user support when it comes to voting for it in the contest.

Enjoy,
Troy(GPF)

Deburner
March 20th, 2007, 10:42
wheres the download?

GPF
March 20th, 2007, 14:20
wheres the download?

At the link your have to be registered and logged in to see the link and also to vote in the contest.

Troy(GPF)

Marcel100
March 20th, 2007, 18:34
It doesn't work on M3 CF. Maybe DLDI patch for M3 CF is wrong. How to play it on M3 CF? Game says "Unable to initialize media device!" What's wrong?

Kasimir2007
March 20th, 2007, 19:32
Very Good Job GPF !

Work on my G6 lite and M3 DS simply.

I am happy to see Duke Nukem on my DS !!!!!

I haven't of sound ?:(

ChuckMcB
March 20th, 2007, 21:23
Getting error on my DS-Xtreme I'm afraid. DLDI patched the .nds and downlaoded a shareware .grp file.

App start fine, then upper blue screen fills with errors and finally stop with "Error! Too many warnings or errors Found 0 warning(s), 13 errors(s)"

Here some more of the errors:
Error (L35) Stat 'genericshrunkcode' not found
Error (L38) Found ends with state
Error (L42) Found 'actor' with 'actor'
(damn why can't the DS do a print screen :) )
If you need any more just shout.

Cygoku
March 20th, 2007, 23:00
Getting error on my DS-Xtreme I'm afraid. DLDI patched the .nds and downlaoded a shareware .grp file.

App start fine, then upper blue screen fills with errors and finally stop with "Error! Too many warnings or errors Found 0 warning(s), 13 errors(s)"

Here some more of the errors:
Error (L35) Stat 'genericshrunkcode' not found
Error (L38) Found ends with state
Error (L42) Found 'actor' with 'actor'
(damn why can't the DS do a print screen :) )
If you need any more just shout./me gets the same,... !! :(

Cygoku

GPF
March 21st, 2007, 00:47
yeah doesn't work on my ds-x either, still haven't figured out why yet, sorry.

I am looking into it though and hopefully with the release of my source also someone might know the problem.

Troy(GPF)

Marcel100
March 21st, 2007, 06:55
Ok on M3 CF it works perfectly. I'm waiting for version with sound. If it will be good You win Neoflash. Congratulations. I have also some suggestions:
1)On the touch screen we can only look around(my duke walk when I use touch screen)
2)Fire with "L" button(it will be comfort to shoot with "L" and looking around with stylus)
3)Jump with "R"(more comfortable to play in this controls)
And that's all my suggestions.

EDIT: Game works but why after start I have text"Missing external con file(s) COPY INTERNAL DEFAULTS TO DIRECTORY(Y/n)?" and game chose "n" and game loads. What's wrong?

ChuckMcB
March 21st, 2007, 20:21
I am looking into it though and hopefully with the release of my source also someone might know the problem.Cheers Troy

directive0
March 21st, 2007, 22:13
Thats freaking incredable. I'm still waiting for Marathon for the DS though.

sjuut
April 17th, 2007, 11:06
when I patched it, (DLDI or something), it didnt work (too many errors) when I DIDNT patch it, it worked like a charm :D i changed the fire for the L trigger, just like metroid prime! it is AWESOME!!

Sektor
April 18th, 2007, 06:38
when I patched it, (DLDI or something), it didnt work (too many errors) when I DIDNT patch it, it worked like a charm :D i changed the fire for the L trigger, just like metroid prime! it is AWESOME!!

What card?

Thebladeofsouls
April 18th, 2007, 22:57
And how do you go back to the main screen, from an option menu, and how do you change fire button?

sjuut
April 25th, 2007, 15:55
I have a supercard SD, and I changed something in the .ini file of the duke3d folder, I switched the buttons

Wii60_FTW
May 4th, 2007, 22:34
I think there is something wrong with my version. The game runs, but when I play, the turn speed is waaaay too slow. Is there anything I can change to fix this? He turns REALLY slow, and when I let go of left or right, he suddenly turns really fast. It pretty much makes it unplayable. Is this normal or is something wrong with mine?

SuperJMN
May 5th, 2007, 16:35
Hi! I've tried to boot up later to patch it for my M3 (slot-2 microSD) and all that I can read on the screen is:

v1.4 Atomic Edition Copyright (c)
1996 3D Realms Entertainment

Missing external con file(s)
COPY INTERNAL DEFAULTS TO DIRECTORY(Y/n)?
No
* Writing defaults to current directory

It hangs when reaching this point. What happens?

I have only copied a DUKE3D.GRP from my original game, the other files are the ones that came with DUKE3DS.RAR

Thank you!!

Sektor
May 7th, 2007, 21:25
I think there is something wrong with my version. The game runs, but when I play, the turn speed is waaaay too slow. Is there anything I can change to fix this? He turns REALLY slow, and when I let go of left or right, he suddenly turns really fast. It pretty much makes it unplayable. Is this normal or is something wrong with mine?

It's normal, at least for this version. The turning is just slow. The source is released, so some experienced coder could improve it.

Hi! I've tried to boot up later to patch it for my M3 (slot-2 microSD)

There are two DLDI drivers for M3SD. Try them both:
http://dldi.drunkencoders.com/index.php?title=M3_Adapter_%28SD_Card%29

King DS
June 24th, 2007, 16:04
What chance is there of this being compiled into 1 rom? coz im having trouble setting it up, and im using an R4 so not even sure if it will work anywhos ¬_¬

myuusmeow
June 25th, 2007, 19:33
What chance is there of this being compiled into 1 rom? coz im having trouble setting it up, and im using an R4 so not even sure if it will work anywhos ¬_¬
It worked perfectly on my R4.

ASmithies
July 21st, 2007, 22:16
yeah mine works too... its quite some effort tho

optln
August 14th, 2007, 17:37
Hi! I've tried to boot up later to patch it for my M3 (slot-2 microSD) and all that I can read on the screen is:

v1.4 Atomic Edition Copyright (c)
1996 3D Realms Entertainment

Missing external con file(s)
COPY INTERNAL DEFAULTS TO DIRECTORY(Y/n)?
No
* Writing defaults to current directory

It hangs when reaching this point. What happens?

I have only copied a DUKE3D.GRP from my original game, the other files are the ones that came with DUKE3DS.RAR

Thank you!!

I get the same thing. But I'm using R4.

Colek
October 24th, 2007, 13:14
I have DS-Linker and Shareware version and 13 Errors :/ Who can give me a correct .grp file?

P.S How to patch DLDI?

superduffman
November 6th, 2007, 19:09
Hi all & GPF.
Can you tell me how far you got with networking?
I’m doing A networking course and need an end of year project.
How would you feel if I did the networking for you on this?

GPF
November 11th, 2007, 14:02
Hi all & GPF.
Can you tell me how far you got with networking?
I’m doing A networking course and need an end of year project.
How would you feel if I did the networking for you on this?

Haven't looked into it yet, would be awesome for you to do it.

Troy(GPF)

GPF
November 20th, 2007, 03:09
dldi patch .nds and copy it and defs.con, game.con, user.con, duke3d.grp and supplied duke3d.cfg to /duke3d directory of card.

just a test build with sfx, maybe some other stuff fixed or more broken let me know.

I need to create a new page for duke3ds still so i can officially release it with source etc.

Thanks,
Troy(GPF)
http://gpf.dcemu.co.uk

pas
November 21st, 2007, 14:04
the sfx is so.... sick... it sounds all crackly

and the controls aren't responsive enough for making the game playable.

Further the gfx does load too slow.

I use a R4 with auto dldi patch and the full gpr file

RedGear21
November 22nd, 2007, 02:37
TWITCHY CONTROLS, but it's coming along nicely! Keep up the great work, and in the next release, try to fix twitchy controls, and a start button for in game, because i can't access the menu while playing...(Just a thought) anyway, can't wait til it's finished

:EDIT: I can't play the fourth chapter either... DANG IT!@@ something about not enough memory, GAH
Also when it comes to saving, the game locks up

oh yeah i figured out how to access the menu

GPF
November 27th, 2007, 22:05
finally fixed the black lines on the floor, made some other minor tweaks.

Let me know how it works and please give me constructive feedback, how should the controls work, I haven't tried other fps's on the ds, so not sure how to do the controls for it. Plus any other ideas will be helpful.

81 downloads -- 2 comments on last release, hard to improve without feedback.

Thanks,
Troy(GPF)

myuusmeow
November 27th, 2007, 23:41
Try out DSDoom and the shareware WAD. The turning on that is just right, and something similar to that with Duke3DS would be just super.

It's just annoying wanting to turn a tiny bit (And just tapping slightly on the D-Pad) and end up turning 180 [insert degrees sign]--I die almost immediately because of this.

EDIT: Stylus control is good though. All we need is: the ability to pause, map shoot to L and jump and stuff to touch screen buttons, and if you can, better sound, even with sound like this though it is awesome.

superduffman2
November 28th, 2007, 14:23
Hi GPF, I got the go-ahead from my supervisor.
Im just trying to compile your sorce.

Can you give me some pointers?
I got DevkitArm & Ham working but I don’t know how to set the source up in a project?

I have a Strong coding background but this is my first on the DS.

Thanks

Duobix
November 28th, 2007, 16:34
DAMN THAT'S GOOD! You rock. But the controls are not piece of cake :( Anything other is good, and I think there shoudn't be a need of making stylus controls, cause Duke is more enjoyable when you come get some button ones ;) It would be also nice to play duke nukem advance on ds sometime, because it cannot be played via supercard :(

souLLy
November 28th, 2007, 18:29
Definitely the best so far gpf, the graphics glitches appear to be all gone which is awesome.

I think the thing that needs work is the controls really, the stylus movement work decently enough, but I'd prefer not to use the stylus for that since there's no up/down aiming ingame, the d-pad seems way too sensitive when you tap it- a gentle rotate left/right would be perfect. The only other suggest would be to map door openings to Y possibly, what's Y mapped to currently?

It's an awesome project though, good work

GPF
November 28th, 2007, 18:52
Hi GPF, I got the go-ahead from my supervisor.
Im just trying to compile your sorce.

Can you give me some pointers?
I got DevkitArm & Ham working but I don’t know how to set the source up in a project?

I have a Strong coding background but this is my first on the DS.

Thanks

need libnds for ds, Ham is for gba?
easiest way is to use the devkitPro installer.

extract source somewhere,
in msys navigate to the directory where it is and type make

Troy(GPF)

GPF
November 28th, 2007, 18:54
DAMN THAT'S GOOD! You rock. But the controls are not piece of cake :( Anything other is good, and I think there shoudn't be a need of making stylus controls, cause Duke is more enjoyable when you come get some button ones ;) It would be also nice to play duke nukem advance on ds sometime, because it cannot be played via supercard :(

works great on the supercard, thats what I use to develop it.

Troy(GPF)

Duobix
November 28th, 2007, 20:00
I didn't mean your great Duke Nukem 3D port-it's running on SC perfectly. I ment Duke Nukem Advance which is, in fact, not even booting on SC.

GPF
November 28th, 2007, 20:22
I didn't mean your great Duke Nukem 3D port-it's running on SC perfectly. I ment Duke Nukem Advance which is, in fact, not even booting on SC.

oh the gba game lol, sorry.

GPF
November 28th, 2007, 20:25
ok i finally created a page on my site to hold duke3ds,
http://gpf.dcemu.co.uk/duke3ds-duke-nukem-3d-for-ds-80584.html

and to continue discussion of duke3ds in this thread
http://www.dcemu.co.uk/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=549838#post549838

Thanks,
Troy(GPF)