PDA

View Full Version : Wii outselling 360? A question of when, says Nintendo boss

wraggster
February 12th, 2007, 19:49
Speaking to the San Jose Mercury News about sales of both Xbox 360 and Wii, Fils-Aime said, "the question is when" Wii passes rather than if. "That's going to be driven by our own sales rate and getting good software released at the right time. It's clear they are slowing down. It's not unthinkable to see that next year we could surpass their installed base."

In order to do that though, Nintendo needs to bring out some quality Wii titles. Now the launch-period honey moon is coming to an end, and all the company's heavy-hitters are releasing towards the end of the year, the immediate Wii gaming horizon is looking a little light.

via cvg (http://www.computerandvideogames.com/article.php?id=157797)

bmemike
February 12th, 2007, 19:58
I took a good 10 year break from console gaming, but the Wii brought me back. I've already picked up a GC controller and have started putting together a decent game library with current Wii titles along with GC titles that I never enjoyed.

While I still have my NES and SNES which I play, it also opens up N64, Genesis and TG16 games.

So without even bringing up homebrew/modchips, the Wii offers a ton of gaming options that should carry many people through the next 6 months until we can see some very solid titles.

kyus
February 12th, 2007, 20:42
Uhhh...

"and all the company's heavy-hitters are releasing towards the end of the year, the immediate Wii gaming horizon is looking a little light."

What a crock of sh!t. Metroid prime corruption... Sonic and the secret rings... Smash Bros Brawl...? all within two months? Mario Galaxy in june?

Looks like some seriously heavy hitters to me.

alienanthropologist
February 12th, 2007, 20:42
I think that Nintendo Wii sales still have a lot of impetus, and that doesn't seem to be slowing down very much despite the lack of killer games coming out just now.

So I think that by the time Wii sales start to slow down and supply starts to meet and surpass demand (much later in the year), the new big killer games will be close to release to drive further sales.

I reckon that Mario Galaxy will be an absolutely succcess. Every Nintendo Wii owner is going to want to get their hands on it. And by the time Mario gets released there might be nearly ten milllion Wiis out there.
Nintendo is in for a big win.

Cap'n 1time
February 12th, 2007, 21:21
Hmm. It is odd, but given how well the wii is selling I think it might actually be possible to surpass the 360. As stated though, it needs a continuous stream of decent titles every few months.

ICE
February 12th, 2007, 22:48
ya i can definitly see it happening. i hardly ever buy games and since getting the wii for Christmas i have been broke constantly.... cant quit buying games..

woods05
February 12th, 2007, 23:02
I still can't find a Nintendo Wii in stores. As soon as a store gets a shipment they are gone in a couple minutes.

Nintendo Wii will outsell Xbox 360.