PDA

View Full Version : StyxDS v0.1A - Atari ST Emulator for Nintendo DS

wraggster
February 12th, 2007, 23:21
via ketchup site (http://deadketchup.kyuran.be/) comes a new Atari ST Emulator for the Nintendo DS, heres the translated info:

StyxDS is an emulator Atari ST for Nintendo DS. It is based on castaway of Jhoenig.
The speed of emulation is currently 60% on average.
With you Xenon 2, Rick Dangerous and other plays of legend.

Among the functionalities, one finds:
- Support of the discs to the format .st
- Management of the sound.
- Support DLDI

Level use, it is enough for you to copy the Romanian one and the discs in the root or the /roms/st repertory of your chart flash, patcher the nds with patchor DLDI and of launching this homebrew from your Nintendo DS
All the roms 1.x and 2.x should function but that which I use for my developments is the v1.02 (tos102fr.img). It is necessary to re-elect it in tos.bin.

It is a version alpha! They comprise many bugs and I of it am conscious.

Do not ask me the ROMANIAN nor the discs. Google is your best friend to find an image of your favorite plays (All the releases of the Automation group are, for example, available after 3 clicks on the site of the emulator Steem Engine).

My future improvements will aim at the acceleration of the CPU, the management of the files .msa (the .msa are convertible in .st starting from the software available on the site of Zorg) or of another software usable in line of order, the improvement of the sound, the saves-states, a keyboard a little more ST friendly

Download and Give Feedback Via Comments

Metal_Spirit
February 13th, 2007, 18:11
Man.. this rocks... Its a bit slow, and digital sound is garbled, but games run perfectly. Looking forward for next releases

crookedmouth
February 14th, 2007, 01:26
Wow this is incredible, didn't even think it was possible. 60% speed in first alpha sounds promising too. Ketchup is a machine! If he keeps this up we'll have as many Emus for DS as the psp, well maybe not but truly fantastic news. I'm praying he gets speed up. I'm drunk on the possibility of so many awesome games.Even though I'm an amiga fan, this is the next best thing :)

Metaluna
February 14th, 2007, 07:54
I'd like to know if someone with an M3 Adapter (SD Card) managed to get it to work.

So far, all I get is an upper scrambled screen and sound garbage. :(

mickster
February 23rd, 2007, 04:41
I have an r4 and was unable to get it to work. I patched the program for DLDI and then I placed to .st images a 102 tos rom and the program itself in the root directory and all I get is a scrambled upper screen. I would appreciate and guidance. I am a St'r from way back and I would love to keep a couple of old ST games on the DS to play.

crookedmouth
February 23rd, 2007, 05:01
This is the path you use
\roms\st

place your roms here including tos.bin
all game roms need to have extension .st for now.

the thing is I get it to recognize roms and they load up right on the desktop but I can't get from there. Also at 60% of course don't expect playable.
My dream is that he'll get this running well, would be awesome.

duckharding30
February 23rd, 2007, 09:06
hey guys just wondering about the tos.bin file. the one i download is an img file but when i rename it to tos.bin it still remains an image file instead of now being a bin. i get the program to load up and give me a file list but when i select something i just had garbage on top screen and % jumps about but never anything recognisable happens. so is it my tos file or is something else wrong. i have supercard cf by the way with. any help would be great thanks

crookedmouth
February 24th, 2007, 00:24
This happened with all the roms you tried? Some games do the same for me, but you could try different versions of the operating system. So far, 1.6 has done well for me. thats odd about the bin file remaining an image.

edit:my joystick and mouse don't work inside the emulator so I can't do anything but autoload disks. Anyone have any ideas?

duckharding30
February 24th, 2007, 10:27
yep so far tried 7 games including the ones mentioned by the author ie. rick dangerous , xenon2. what extension should i look for in a tos file as i think this is my big problem because i tried deleting the TOS completely from my flash card and the program still acts the same, will try 1.6 though and see what happens, also off topic but still atari related anyone know what is going on with the 2600 emulator it is so close to being great yet has stalled for nearly a year.

crookedmouth
February 25th, 2007, 00:32
Does anyone have the mouse or joystick working on the green desktop? Seems like the author does and many people over at his site.

Metaluna
February 25th, 2007, 09:02
hey guys just wondering about the tos.bin file. the one i download is an img file but when i rename it to tos.bin it still remains an image file instead of now being a bin.

Maybe your Windows configuration has extension file hidden and so by renaming your tos, you have in fact something like that : tos.bin.img

Does anyone have the mouse or joystick working on the green desktop? Seems like the author does and many people over at his site.

What is the linker you're using? I know there are some issues with mouse emulation on G6.

duckharding30
February 25th, 2007, 10:44
[QUOTE=Metaluna;364882]Maybe your Windows configuration has extension file hidden and so by renaming your tos, you have in fact something like that : tos.bin.img

that exactly what is happening but i dont know if that is okay or if everyone elses TOS is being renamed like that or if their file is being reclassified as a .bin file and not .img like mine. may just be that the program doesnt like my particular set up ie supercard with compact flash though the same authors msx emulator runs fine but that doesnt mean too much i guess.

crookedmouth
February 25th, 2007, 15:15
What is the linker you're using? I know there are some issues with mouse emulation on G6.

That could be it, I'm using the dreaded Max Media Dock :) , but I must say it hasn't let me down that much so far.
Maybe an update will help seeing as though this is an alpha release. thanks

blimey
March 2nd, 2007, 17:45
Maybe your Windows configuration has extension file hidden and so by renaming your tos, you have in fact something like that : tos.bin.img

how do you make it not just rename i but change the extention?
I did it through the DOS but can you chang windows to do it?

And my top screen is still jacked up

duckharding30
March 7th, 2007, 07:32
hey thanks for any help i was given in here including the hidden file extension problem that was part of the hassle i was having. Now even with that sorted i still had hassles until i formatted the compact flash card and put the emulator on my 'CLEAN' compact flash it finally worked and it hasnt failed on any game i have tried so far. 10 titles all up including Stunt Car Racer , outrun, dungeon master, rick dangerous 1 &2. my only problems so far are those that will be sorted out as the emulator is updated mainly sluggish mouse control and the games speed (which isnt so bad as all the games are reasonably playable and look great particularly stunt car and dungeon master) and sound needs work but at least it is there.
hope the updates come thick and fast as this is one of the most impressive emulators i have tried for the ds.

crookedmouth
March 20th, 2007, 23:46
Ketchup has a new version :)

StyxDS v0.2a (Neo Spring Compo 2007 release) française
20-Mar-07

What’s new ?
In one word : quicker ! (but not yet realtime)
- Auto-frameskip (max 5)
- New screen handling (next version will be ARM asm based)
- Mouse in touchpad mode is quicker.

http://deadketchup.kyuran.be/

xcom
March 21st, 2007, 23:19
Awesome, this is so cool.

And I remember someone saying in the forums that 16bit (ST & Amiga) could not be done on the DS!!!

Yes it's quicker alright and works great.

When you've finished this ST emulator - What about an Amiga one. Strangely this seems to be the only major emulator missing from the DS homebrew scene.

How about it - Somebody?

paul3100
August 30th, 2007, 15:47
Exellent to see the atari st emu on the DS but can someone give a total STONEHEAD a guide to getting this emu to work please!

I have loads of US and UK tos images and some .st games but can't get the emulator to run on my R4 card.

I have a folder named emulators in which i put another folder called " atari st (test) " in which i put my emulator + roms folder in which i put the tos.bin file and some games but when i load up the emulator it goes all buggy after i press (A) and no games load or any top screen.

So please anyone give me a step by step please

regards . . .. . . .. . . .. pauL

ebles420
September 15th, 2008, 15:23
Exellent to see the atari st emu on the DS but can someone give a total STONEHEAD a guide to getting this emu to work please!

I have loads of US and UK tos images and some .st games but can't get the emulator to run on my R4 card.

I have a folder named emulators in which i put another folder called " atari st (test) " in which i put my emulator + roms folder in which i put the tos.bin file and some games but when i load up the emulator it goes all buggy after i press (A) and no games load or any top screen.

So please anyone give me a step by step please

regards . . .. . . .. . . .. pauL

The files MUST be places in the directory

roms/st

the roms folder being at the root of the card.

i was having the same problems until i did this