PDA

View Full Version : Dark Alex's Open Edition Netwok Update downloader {WIP}

-Xandu-
February 13th, 2007, 15:46
http://i166.photobucket.com/albums/u120/SXandu/du-1.png

Don't know what to put instead of Sony's Network Update? Well, here's a nifty program that automatically downloads Dark Alex's latest Open Edition Firmware!

I'm still facing connection problems, so it's not released yet..

http://i166.photobucket.com/albums/u120/SXandu/dax-1.png

Current BETA testers:
Malksta.

Note: this only downloads, it doesn't install.

Kramer
February 13th, 2007, 15:51
What does it download the installer plus Data.daxr or whatever it's called?

-Xandu-
February 13th, 2007, 15:54
No, it's supposed to download the .rar file.
To extract you could use IRShell.

pkmaximum
February 13th, 2007, 16:01
Ughhh seems like its more trouble than what it is worth, might be better off just downloading from a computer, and using a installer.

But still I like the idea of what you are going for, definently a lot better than SONY's gay update =P

-Xandu-
February 13th, 2007, 16:02
Yeah a little bit pointless, but it's better than having Sony's update ;).

LilSwish722
February 13th, 2007, 16:04
AHHHH SO this is the secret project you needed beta testers for.

SamuraiX
February 13th, 2007, 16:05
But the potential is there to download both firmwares (1.5 + latest) then internally run oe creator or just download the patched update. Then leave it to the user to install the new custom firmware or patched update.

Sounds interesting to say the least....

.:}<3\/!}\{:.
February 13th, 2007, 16:15
cool!

Gabba Gandalf
February 13th, 2007, 17:03
awsome :thumbup:

ExcruciationX
February 13th, 2007, 17:20
Interesting idea! It certainly has potential! :)

fro
February 13th, 2007, 17:43
Could DAX implement his own custom firmware updater using the Sony's Network Update?

(I'm not asking him to do it, just if it would be possible, I'm not sure of my English here)

Another question:
SamuraiX, you talked about downloading 1.5 + the latest firmware to create the DATA.DXAR. Does this mean there is any kind of restriction on downloading the DATA.PXAR directly? Is that illegal or something?

ExcruciationX
February 13th, 2007, 17:45
I'm sure someone could host it on their server.

You could put down a whole list of people hosting the file, and just have the updater go down through the list.

imagecko
February 13th, 2007, 17:55
Can't wait to test it out.

EvilSeph
February 13th, 2007, 18:00
Could DAX implement his own custom firmware updater using the Sony's Network Update?

(I'm not asking him to do it, just if it would be possible, I'm not sure of my English here)

Another question:
SamuraiX, you talked about downloading 1.5 + the latest firmware to create the DATA.DXAR. Does this mean there is any kind of restriction on downloading the DATA.PXAR directly? Is that illegal or something?

Yes, it has been suggested a few times, but the general consensus is that it's not worth the trouble and it's not that much work downloading it on a PC, transfering it over and reading the readme.

Yes, the DATA.DXAR contains Sony's code, therefore it is illegal to distribute.

LAMPRO
February 13th, 2007, 18:10
my network update on 303oec currently has a reboot prx instead. when i hit netwrk updte, it just reboots. if i want i goto recovery or just to xmb. nice little feature.

cal360
February 13th, 2007, 18:11
Its a shame this can't include sony's files as we could of had this as an automatic installer just like sony's update

iniquitous_beast
February 13th, 2007, 18:21
I guess a program could be rigged to download both updates, the .dxar maker and the updater. The program would then have to automatically place the files and run the .dxar maker on the psp, move the completed .dxar into the update, and install the update. It would, however, be a large file which would tax servers and take forever to download on the psp's wireless.

hksrb25s14
February 13th, 2007, 18:21
So this will automatic update from Dark Alex's site for the FW and not sony? and with no use of a computer?

SamuraiX
February 13th, 2007, 18:24

Another question:

The reason you must create your own DAX file is because oe_setup_maker creates its own IPL based on your PSP's IPL ID (unique) or something of the sorts. So If you tried to copy someone elses DAX file you would most certainly brick your PSP.

Thats why Dark_Alex modified psar_dumper aka Setup_Maker to rely on your PSP's unique IPL ID.

So the lesson here is you can NOT use someone elses DAX file!!!!

DragonPimpsta
February 13th, 2007, 18:27
yea, definately has potiental.. if u could make it easy to use, and also very brick protective to ppl with diff versions who dont know wat theyre doing.. would be awesome

ExcruciationX
February 13th, 2007, 18:28
But my dumps that I am distributing in my sig seem to work on everyone else's PSPs...

I've never bricked from using someone else's pack either...

titch.ryan
February 13th, 2007, 18:36
it DA can gt it to work in the same way as sony's updates it will be awesome if not too much hassle

SamuraiX
February 13th, 2007, 18:37
Well that was the original thought behind setup_make/psar_dumper with ipl support. Maybe its a non-issue anymore... but its a chance I'm not taking. Call me paranoid.... lol

carlitx
February 13th, 2007, 18:41
ya there should be like an online database like installotron. maby u should try using some code from that. just make sure its all right with the noobz team first.

jak66
February 13th, 2007, 18:44
i dont understand samuraix (maybe cause im thick), what did you mean when you were talking about the ipl, were you on about sig-checking or something (yes, i really am that thick).

Either way, every dxar file made has to be the same, otherwise the SHA-1 would be different for all of them, wouldnt it?

SpooForBrains
February 13th, 2007, 18:46
OK, here's a suggestion. I don't know where this gets the updates from, but if someone were to repack them as a gzip or one of the open zip file formats (ie not RAR) and host them for download, then the updater could not only download it, but also unpack thrm into the right places on the memory stick.

With some work it might even be possible to automatically download the firmware files as well, and place them in the right places on the memory stick.

One thing I've always wondered: is there a reason why the oeupdatemaker doesn't automatically place the DXAR in the oeflasher folder?

LilSwish722
February 13th, 2007, 18:56
^ ^ Most likely due to the fact that it's being the OEUPDMAKER is running all the file out of that folder, so it would make since to put it in the correct folder but some people don't always put all the folders in until after the DXAR is created. So this is most likely the reason as to why its placed in the oeupdatemaker folder.

jak66
February 13th, 2007, 18:57
because the location would be hardcoded (i.e. ms0:/PSP/GAME/oeflasher/) but for some people it could be ms0:/PSP/GAME150/oeflasher/ , in which case it would take time to copy/paste/delete the dxar file, then they would have to move it themselves anyway

LilSwish722
February 13th, 2007, 19:00
^ ^ or that haha

pt9087
February 13th, 2007, 19:01
This could lead to something alot more usefull. Like an installer from NU.

LilSwish722
February 13th, 2007, 19:07
Yea. It's very useful. If it's ok with -Xandu-, I might release a little more information the more testing I do.

fro
February 13th, 2007, 19:10
SamuraiX, I believe (not enterely sure though) that what you're talking about is no longer a problem.
PSP-Hacks Forums, which are not as strict with legal stuff as other sites (not saying this is a good thing), host a tutorial and an installation program that includes the DATA.PXAR. Browsing this tutorial and the answers, I don't remember anyone saying they'd bricked their PSP.

I guess a program could be rigged to download both updates, the .dxar maker and the updater. The program would then have to automatically place the files and run the .dxar maker on the psp, move the completed .dxar into the update, and install the update. It would, however, be a large file which would tax servers and take forever to download on the psp's wireless.

As ExcruciationX said, there could be a list of servers hosting this file, asking trusted people and psp websites to do it. It indeed would be a large file, but if enough people host it, I think it'd be worth the trouble.
About the wireless, I guess the update could use a USB connection as well.

A safe and easy custom firmware update, and there is no longer any service Sony is offering that the PSP homebrew scene isn't, am I right?

So DAX, I hope this reaches your ears (and that I'm not talking shit :D)

ExcruciationX
February 13th, 2007, 19:16
i dont understand samuraix (maybe cause im thick), what did you mean when you were talking about the ipl, were you on about sig-checking or something (yes, i really am that thick).

Either way, every dxar file made has to be the same, otherwise the SHA-1 would be different for all of them, wouldnt it?
I think you're thick. :p Just kidding.

IPL stands for "Intitial Program Load".

It is the start up phase of any computer (in this case, the PSP). When you flick that power switch, the IPL will run. It will then procceed to load the stuff on Flash0:\.

SpooForBrains
February 13th, 2007, 19:18
because the location would be hardcoded (i.e. ms0:/PSP/GAME/oeflasher/) but for some people it could be ms0:/PSP/GAME150/oeflasher/ , in which case it would take time to copy/paste/delete the dxar file, then they would have to move it themselves anyway

Valid point ... then why not have the DATA.DXAR file written to (and read from) the root of the memory stick instead? Since the update flasher does a check of the file anyway before flashing, I can't see why it would be a problem - and the extra cautious could manually check the file before running the update.

I'm basically throwing out ideas about how the process could be further automated than it is. I'm not criticising Dark_Alex, btw, I just think that there are both small and big steps on the road to having an automated update, and we need not let the fact that there's not a solution for the big steps stop us from making inroads into the small ones. Make any sense?

AvengedSevenfold Fan
February 13th, 2007, 19:19
Good idea, I was wondering what u needed beta testers for...

LilSwish722
February 13th, 2007, 19:21
Keep in mind guys, we are still testing this and is a work in progress.

sshaw1982
February 13th, 2007, 19:21
The reason you must create your own DAX file is because oe_setup_maker creates its own IPL based on your PSP's IPL ID (unique) or something of the sorts. So If you tried to copy someone elses DAX file you would most certainly brick your PSP.

Thats why Dark_Alex modified psar_dumper aka Setup_Maker to rely on your PSP's unique IPL ID.

So the lesson here is you can NOT use someone elses DAX file!!!!

thats just plain wrong... you can use anyones correctly created data.dxar on any psp

SpooForBrains
February 13th, 2007, 19:25
However, you can't distribute the DXAR file. Hence why there's a manual process for generating it, because *generating* it is fine, it's distributing it that's legally fuzzy.

Although, the DMCA may well make the PBP unpacker/PSAR dumper that is used in the updater illegal anyway. The DMCA makes most things illegal.

DarthPaul
February 13th, 2007, 19:26
Well now this is a real good reason to change the Network Update!! Thanks a lot Xandu! You're gorgoeus! The media player..and now this! WOot!

Shrygue
February 13th, 2007, 19:51
Hey, this sounds good. Being able to dowload the latest custom firmware package straight to your PSP would be useful!

fjh89
February 13th, 2007, 19:53
lets just hope it works, with so many issues it could seem like an impossibility, the file size, the dl time, dxar file being illegal. Although we're speacking of a guy who made the 3.03downgrader, that was a bigger impossiblity, and yet here i am in 3.03oe-c because of it... lets just see what these guys are up to, to see if the can find a way around these issues

rebuiltearth
February 13th, 2007, 20:34
Definitely needs to also download both updaters and create the dxar file automatically. Go the extra mile to make it happen, man! Try talking to D_A, he may help you with all the details of making that possible.

SamuraiX
February 13th, 2007, 20:39
Sorry for the missinformation and next-time I think twice before sharing thoughts....:p

But back onto the subject at hand. I would go through the whole ball of wax and create the Online Updater to support the following...

Example:

Check and/or Download from server by checking internal PSP Custom-OE version...

If new version is found then logic should ask if you want to proceed with the download. Once Download is completed then you should be asked if you would like to run the PREPARE the INSTALL/UPDATE. Which this basically means run the setup_maker. Once this is complete have a nice little screen pointing you to the game menu for executing the install or update. (Ideally you would want this done automatically by asking you during the download procedure but I'm not sure if executing code through the update vsh is the same as running it through game vsh????)

----------------------------------------------
FULL-INSTALL

/PSP/GAME150/TEMP/150.PBP
/PSP/GAME150/TEMP/310.PBP or whatever latest PBP is.
/PSP/GAME150/TEMP/SETUP
/PSP/GAME150/TEMP/INSTALL

Execute setup_maker.

Then When its ready.... Copy DAX && INSTALL contents over to....

/PSP/GAME150/INSTALL-OE

and remove TEMP dir and its contents

-----------------------------------------------
UPGRADE - PATCH

/PSP/GAME150/TEMP/EBOOT.PBP

Then When its ready.... Copy PATCH files over to....

/PSP/GAME150/UPDATE-OE/EBOOT.PBP

and remove TEMP dir and its contents

ExcruciationX
February 13th, 2007, 20:48
Sorry for the missinformation and next-time I think twice before sharing thoughts....:p
It's alright, dude. The title below your alias implies that you are more knowledgeable then the rest of us. ;)

wolfpack
February 13th, 2007, 21:21
genious!

-Xandu-
February 13th, 2007, 21:24
Public BETA comin' up ;).

DrNicket
February 13th, 2007, 21:25
SamuraiX

Step 1:
Everyone should have the 1.50 eboot by now. No reason to keep downloading it. It should have a default location on the memory card (determined by Dark_Alex & Co.). If you don't have a big enough mem stick to keep it on always, then just keep it handy on you computer.

Step 2:
Via a patched Network Update icon or simple eboot launch:
Check for latest Custom firmware and if higher than current, download files to appropriate locations on mem stick.

Step 3:
Check for official Sony firmware (direct link can be added to a .txt/resource file during step 2), then download the official eboot.pbp to a temp folder, when complete, rename to 3XX.pbp and copy to appropriate folder.

Step 4:
Now all the critical files are on your stick. Ideally they are extracted to the proper locations. You can now (manually or automagically) run the OE Update Maker. Once the DXAR is complete the update maker could check the MD5 (or whatever you use on PSP side). If it checks out, move file to flasher folder.

Step 5:
(manually or automagically) run the flasher. If possible, when complete ask if okay to delete all files unique to this update (except 150.pbp of course). If not possible, create an eboot for the user to run that checks the fw version and if it matches what it intended to update to, then delete the above mentioned files.

What do you think? I'm not sure how much of the file management tasks can be automated, but short of more ideas, this seems to be ideal in my mind.

-Xandu-
February 13th, 2007, 21:36
Sorry guys, BETA will have to wait till tommorow :(.

SamuraiX
February 13th, 2007, 21:55
SamuraiX

Step 1:
Everyone should have the 1.50 eboot by now. No reason to keep downloading it. It should have a default location on the memory card (determined by Dark_Alex & Co.). If you don't have a big enough mem stick to keep it on always, then just keep it handy on you computer.

Not a bad Idea.... If not found then tell user A: Either place it here or B: continue and download it.

Step 2:
Check for latest Custom firmware and if higher than current, download files to appropriate locations on mem stick.

I would try to keep all updates (installs/updates/patchs) all within a unified source of execution. Keeps things clean and simple for users.

For example the Sony Online Updater would be replaced with OE Online Updater which would handle all three cases.

Step 3:
Check for official Sony firmware (direct link can be added to a .txt/resource file during step 2), then download the official eboot.pbp to a temp folder, when complete, rename to 3XX.pbp and copy to appropriate folder.

This i do not agree with. From where ever the latest supported OE SetupMaker/Installer is being hosted from (which is obviously a trusted source) so should the 3xx.pbp or new supported sony firmware.

Step 4:
Now all the critical files are on your stick. Ideally they are extracted to the proper locations. You can now (manually or automagically) run the OE Update Maker. Once the DXAR is complete the update maker could check the MD5 (or whatever you use on PSP side). If it checks out, move file to flasher folder.

This was already covered above in my post. But you mention something I missed and is extremely important..... MD5 check must be built in to the OE Online Updater for verifing the DAX file after its creation.

Step 5:
(manually or automagically) run the flasher. If possible, when complete ask if okay to delete all files unique to this update (except 150.pbp of course). If not possible, create an eboot for the user to run that checks the fw version and if it matches what it intended to update to, then delete the above mentioned files.

What do you think? I'm not sure how much of the file management tasks can be automated, but short of more ideas, this seems to be ideal in my mind.

Personally, I would like to see these options only within the OE Online Updater. I don't like to see clutter in my memory stick or XMB. So.... I guess we will just have to wait and see....

keane10
February 13th, 2007, 21:58
Hi guys, its my dcemu forum debut!

Anyway, Iv got D_A's 3.03 OE-A, its brilliant but it hasnt got any CPU speed. Does anyone know if this exists? Also, can I run devhook 0.46 (which has CPU speed which I need for NFS Carbon) with OE-A? If yes how do I install it?

Thanks
Keane10

SpooForBrains
February 13th, 2007, 22:10
keane: update to 3.10OE-a' which has CPU speed, and ask further questions about that firmware in the relevent thread so we can keep this one on topic!

ETA: sorry, welcome to the forums!

jak66
February 13th, 2007, 22:14
CPU speeds were added in later versions (I think 3.03 OE-B added UMD/ISO CPU speeds and XMB(VSH) CPU speeds were added later. Yes you can run devhook on any OE. Same as on 1.50 except put the devhook and devhook%in GAME150.

I'd like to say i cant wait for this, but i dont have wifi :(

LilSwish722
February 13th, 2007, 22:17
Guys, this was not made by DA, it was made by -Xandu-. Whether or not DAX even knows about this is something I don't know. If -Xandu- lets me (the guy whos making this), I will explain more about how it works. Or if he wants to do it. That's his choice.

irishwhip
February 13th, 2007, 22:22
lol, "netwok" sounds like a hi-tech chinese cooking pan.
:thumbup:

in all honesty, i think this is a great idea.

Jpdeathblade
February 13th, 2007, 22:24
idk, i think it would be easye to get it off the computer myself (i know, this has been repeated over and over, what you gonna do).
And besides I have my network update run irshell, thats better then getting the update from it anyway =P

good job tho, ill give you that. Its wrong to put people down for something you cant do yourself.

fro
February 13th, 2007, 22:34
Guys, this was not made by DA, it was made by -Xandu-. Whether or not DAX even knows about this is something I don't know. If -Xandu- lets me (the guy whos making this), I will explain more about how it works. Or if he wants to do it. That's his choice.

Then I really hope Xandus and DAX get in touch with each other to make this a reality!!

LilSwish722
February 13th, 2007, 22:41
this is already a reality. were testing it now. but ill admit it would most likely be more complete/professionally done if they both got together.

Veskgar
February 13th, 2007, 22:46
This is definitely cool but I often use the network update feature to download official SONY updates in order to decrypt them and use with custom firmware, plugins, etc.

DrNicket
February 13th, 2007, 22:52
Step 2:

I would try to keep all updates (installs/updates/patchs) all within a unified source of execution. Keeps things clean and simple for users.

You're right. I was still thinking of two separate eboots for the process, like the current method. They wouldn't have to be separate in this case would they?

For example the Sony Online Updater would be replaced with OE Online Updater which would handle all three cases.

Ideally, yes.

Step 3:
This i do not agree with. From where ever the latest supported OE SetupMaker/Installer is being hosted from (which is obviously a trusted source) so should the 3xx.pbp or new supported sony firmware.

I agree. I wasn't considering its inclusion for some reason.

Step 4:
This was already covered above in my post. But you mention something I missed and is extremely important..... MD5 check must be built in to the OE Online Updater for verifing the DAX file after its creation.

I only included this as it's a part of the process. Yes, checking the MD5 is mucho criticale! (no I don't speak spanish c|8^)

Xandu: I'm sure you've got plenty of people to help, but if I can be of service, I'm willing and able. I've got two PSPs: one virgin 1.5, another 3.10 OE-A'. I'm also adept at searching code for errors and other erroneous things.

SamuraiX
February 13th, 2007, 22:59
Well This project sounds very interesting.... I believe we have given more then enough ideas to the developer in charge -Xandu-.

In the end its up to him and how he decides to implement this very cool feature. Good luck!

DrNicket
February 13th, 2007, 23:16
SamuraiX: Thanks for hashing it out with me. I appreciate your style of comment/criticism. It's that kind that makes a difference.

SpooForBrains
February 13th, 2007, 23:24

I know Dark_Alex isn't involved, and I definitely don't mean to piss on the efforts of the people that have coded this. It's more than I can do.

I've been mulling over in my head for a while what steps would be necessary to make a fully automatic updater, so I thought I would just throw some of what I've been thinking out there. Brainstorm it a bit :)

Obviously this can only get so far without Dark_Alex's involvement, but I think it's possible to automate more of this process than might initially seem apparent.

psphax
February 14th, 2007, 00:11
About time someone comes up with this idea....

RaiderX
February 14th, 2007, 02:49
That's a really damn cool idea! Hope this turns out good. You should try getting support from dark-alex.org so the server will always be up and the files are in just the right place

-Xandu-
February 14th, 2007, 15:00
Alright, I think I know the problem to all you beta testers..

WiFi does not work for all applications on 3.xx OE :(..

Although, it worked for my Pocket Update before.

mnuhaily22
February 14th, 2007, 15:45
Has potential, but useless for now...no offence, but I could download the ra 3 times faster off my computer....I hope in the future it becomes as good as the way sony devoled it...

-Xandu-
February 14th, 2007, 16:32
Working now :/.

I'm releasing public BETA 1 now.

LilSwish722
February 14th, 2007, 18:07
-Xandu-, im running it off of 3.10OE-A' and its working just fine.

Nicko01
February 14th, 2007, 18:31
Heres what it should do:
1. Download the updater
2. Check to see if it needs complete reflashing
3. If it does need reflashing, download the necessary updates.
4. Unzip/Unrar the files and place them in the correct areas.

Maybe you dont need to make it check, just provide your own premade file for download?

Also, this could be flashed to the network update icon :)
That would be awesome!