PDA

View Full Version : Have Your Say With New Wii Channel

Darksaviour69
February 14th, 2007, 11:05
A brand new channel launches today for the Wii Menu providing a quick, easy and fun way to cast your answers to a multitude of different questions. The Everybody Votes Channel allows you to compare and contrast your opinions with those of friends, family and people from across the globe. With a regularly updated supply of new questions to ponder, this is a great way to discover not only differences between you and your family, but also between your country and others!

″If you have ever wondered whether many other people share the same opinions, preferences, likes or dislikes as you, then the Everybody Votes Channel is a quick and easy way to quell those curiosities″ says Laurent Fischer, Marketing Director, Nintendo of Europe. ″From whether people believe in aliens to what they would do if they had 1 million Euros, this quirky but addictive channel lets you find out what others think as well as being a great discussion starter with family and friends!″

This latest addition to the Wii Menu features different general poll questions for users to answer. Three questions will always be offered. These will then closed after a week and updated with new ones. When accessing the main page of the Everybody Votes Channel, users will be greeted with the current polls open and can then register their votes by clicking on their chosen one.

Within hours of the poll closing, the latest regional results of the poll will be made available and will be displayed for each region of the relevant country. Vote ratios for each question will be displayed on the Channel using hundreds of Miis to represent the different votes.

The previous twelve polls that a player has voted on are archived so they can check back on them after they have closed. Each time a new poll closes, if the user has voted on it, it is added to the archive and the oldest one on there is deleted.

In addition to casting a vote, users can also predict the outcome of the poll. Every correct prediction will be added to the player’s profile and used to calculate how tuned in they are with general public opinion, which is shown in the ″How Tuned In Are You? ″ section.

Users are able to register a total of six different players on each Wii console using Mii data and names from the Mii Channel, meaning that each member of the household can have their own say on a poll. The Everybody Votes Channel records all of the votes cast by a player and allows them to check their opinions against those of their family using vote results as well as their ″How Tuned In Are You?″ results. This allows users to compare numbers of consecutive wins and overall wins versus losses recorded.

As well as providing three different sets of general poll questions each week, the ‘Everybody Votes Channel’ also features worldwide poll questions. These are set twice a month and run for approximately two weeks, with live result updates appearing just hours after the vote closes.

Miis illustrate the global vote ratio and a bar graph shows the results for each different country globally. Players can sort these results by vote percentage, country or in order of prediction accuracy.

An additional feature of this channel is the ″Suggest a Question″ section, which allows players to suggest a poll topic they would like to see on the service. Each player is allowed to make up to one suggestion a day, the best of which may be converted into a poll question by Nintendo.

qwertying123
February 14th, 2007, 12:48
I downloaded this update earlier, and it doesnt show in any of my channels! I tried updating again, and get the message saying there are no new updates! Has anyone else experianced this? Im in the uk.

madpowerUK
February 14th, 2007, 13:31
The update is to use the channel, but you still need to go to the wii shop then go into wii software and download the channel from there

shadowprophet
February 14th, 2007, 13:36
I downloaded this update earlier, and it doesnt show in any of my channels! I tried updating again, and get the message saying there are no new updates! Has anyone else experianced this? Im in the uk.

I had issues like that with my update. unplug your wii, dont simply power down' unplug it. your wii simply needs to be power cycled after the update. no biggie, also this update doesnt give you the said channel, this time, after the update, go to the wii shop channel an then download it for free from the wii ware section ;)

DPyro
February 14th, 2007, 13:51
Uh...Shadow, you don't need to turn the console off :rofl:

qwertying123
February 14th, 2007, 13:51
OHHHH! i thought it would be somthing stupid i wasnt doing. Thanks very much for your help!

shadowprophet
February 14th, 2007, 14:00
Uh...Shadow, you don't need to turn the console off :rofl:

no nvm.. too easy, just trust that the process wasn't given the title "power cycle" for it's uselessness..:rolleyes:

bmemike
February 14th, 2007, 14:00
This will be one of the first channels to be deleted once our Wiis get full.

It was novel for about 2 minutes, but I can't see loading this thing up again.

sfish
February 14th, 2007, 14:28
Unexpected updates? I have to admit I'm just a bit leery because I've been nearly singed by $ony's homebrew-killing unannounced updates with promises of "cool" new features I could live without.

I'll probably just wait a few days to let the dust settle on this one.

danh_24
February 14th, 2007, 16:33
I was woke up my the damn blue light pulsing on my Wii 'cos of the message telling you about the update was sent! grr!

Agree with the above posters about the channel getting deleted once the Wii is full though! It seems a bit trivial.

djkus
February 14th, 2007, 16:57
im sure Im not the only one (well.. i know im not after reading this thread) that had problems with this.

email.. great.. exciting doing the s.ware update..
reboot..
nothing..
its not obvious.. nor is it listed anywhere in the email that you need to go to shop channel to download it!
i think nintendo made a big error somehow with this.

im sure if us adults cant figure something to silly out without going online.... what chances does a 5yr old have?

lol

anyone else think its weird?

Kramer
February 14th, 2007, 17:26
Anyone notice they use a much sexier and easier to use on screen keyboard in this channel?

Why dont they use this one as the main OSK?

Mabolsa Ritchie
February 14th, 2007, 17:36
I got this stupid update at 5 am and it woke me up with its super bright light of death!!! Not happy

Kramer
February 14th, 2007, 17:45
You do know there is an option to turn the light off.

ICE
February 14th, 2007, 18:14
well i updated and all but i have wireless dial-up with wifi-max so for some reason i cant use the shop channel to get it.... im getting dsl in a few days though so its ok.

alienanthropologist
February 14th, 2007, 18:40
I love that light!!! If I don't download the channel, do I get to keep the light on?? awesome.

StormB
February 14th, 2007, 21:26
im sure Im not the only one (well.. i know im not after reading this thread) that had problems with this.

email.. great.. exciting doing the s.ware update..
reboot..
nothing..
its not obvious.. nor is it listed anywhere in the email that you need to go to shop channel to download it!
i think nintendo made a big error somehow with this.

im sure if us adults cant figure something to silly out without going online.... what chances does a 5yr old have?

lol

anyone else think its weird?

From the email that popped up on my Wii:

You can download the "Everybody Votes Channel" for free via the Wii Shop Channel.

* You must update your Wii in order to use this Channel. Press the "Update" button on the right to update your Wii.

I would have thought that is fairly self explanatory?

Will

djkus
February 14th, 2007, 22:06
Mmm, did I get a different email?
Perhaps... but liklyhood is im a numpty..

sfish
February 14th, 2007, 22:10
* You must update your Wii in order to use this Channel. Press the "Update" button on the right to update your Wii.

Maybe it would have been clearer if it had said "in order to download this Channel."

Either way, it doesn't seem too difficult to figure out to me.

- Steve