PDA

View Full Version : lol at this guy

Strangler
February 15th, 2007, 02:34
he making a saturn emulator :)
http://boards.gamefaqs.com/gfaqs/genmessage.php?board=918340&topic=33584194

SSaxdude
February 15th, 2007, 02:36
He's probably going to make a beta that can run some public domain demos and then he's probably just going to ditch it. I'm not insulting the coder, it's just a Saturn emu on the PSP is near impossible.

Nicko01
February 15th, 2007, 02:40
Hey, thats what everyone said about the N64 emulator, and look where it has gone :)

joshisposer
February 15th, 2007, 02:58
True, but the N64 emulator had some hope actually. It started out with like 2/3 coders. Then one turned out to keep going.

JKKDARK
February 15th, 2007, 04:38
Hey, thats what everyone said about the N64 emulator, and look where it has gone :)

Sega Saturn has 8 processors

psiko_scweek
February 15th, 2007, 05:40
Processors
-Two Hitachi SuperH-2 7604 32-Bit RISC processors at 28.63 MHz (50-MIPS) - each has 4 kB on-chip cache, of which 2 kB can alternatively be used as directly addressable RAM
-SH-1 32-bit RISC processor (controlling the CD-ROM)
-Custom VDP 1 32-bit video display processor (running at 7.1590 MHz on NTSC Systems, 6.7116 MHz for PAL Systems)
-Custom VDP 2 32-bit video display processor (running at 7.1590 MHz on NTSC Systems, 6.7116 MHz for PAL Systems)
-Custom Saturn Control Unit (SCU) with DSP for geometry processing and DMA controller (running at 14.3 MHz)
-Motorola 68EC000 sound controller (running at 11.3 MHz / 1,5 MIPS)
-Yamaha FH1 DSP sound processor, "Sega Custom Sound Processor" (SCSP), running at 22.6 MHz
-Hitachi 4-bit MCU, "System Manager & Peripheral Control" (SMPC)

now if you exclude sound and the CD-Rom and Peripheral Such (and just hard code the instructions to the other processors) that leaves you...

i think 4, two main ones, video, and the DMA/Geometry processor.

I do not believe that all games and PD Roms use both the main processors and all instruction sets so we might be able to shave off some things there. is it possible....

highly unlikely. would it be cool? yes.

~psiko

JKKDARK
February 15th, 2007, 05:50
Processors
-Two Hitachi SuperH-2 7604 32-Bit RISC processors at 28.63 MHz (50-MIPS) - each has 4 kB on-chip cache, of which 2 kB can alternatively be used as directly addressable RAM
-SH-1 32-bit RISC processor (controlling the CD-ROM)
-Custom VDP 1 32-bit video display processor (running at 7.1590 MHz on NTSC Systems, 6.7116 MHz for PAL Systems)
-Custom VDP 2 32-bit video display processor (running at 7.1590 MHz on NTSC Systems, 6.7116 MHz for PAL Systems)
-Custom Saturn Control Unit (SCU) with DSP for geometry processing and DMA controller (running at 14.3 MHz)
-Motorola 68EC000 sound controller (running at 11.3 MHz / 1,5 MIPS)
-Yamaha FH1 DSP sound processor, "Sega Custom Sound Processor" (SCSP), running at 22.6 MHz
-Hitachi 4-bit MCU, "System Manager & Peripheral Control" (SMPC)

now if you exclude sound and the CD-Rom and Peripheral Such (and just hard code the instructions to the other processors) that leaves you...

i think 4, two main ones, video, and the DMA/Geometry processor.

I do not believe that all games and PD Roms use both the main processors and all instruction sets so we might be able to shave off some things there. is it possible....

highly unlikely. would it be cool? yes.

~psiko

You will never see a Saturn emulator running commercial games in your PSP. Stop dreaming.

Strangler
February 15th, 2007, 07:11
if it wa spossible here are the games id like to put on a memory stick:
Bug!
Panzer dragon saga
shinning force 3
Nights

btw would a 3do emulator be possible?

JKKDARK
February 15th, 2007, 07:14
btw would a 3do emulator be possible?

Very, very, very hard. There's only one 3DO emulator, and it's for PC. Even there isn't for Xbox or Dreamcast..

Wally
February 15th, 2007, 08:49
Ya know,
I'd be suprised, if this guys Japanese.

Japanese can do anything, anything is possible for them.

F9zDark
February 15th, 2007, 09:49
Nothing is impossible; such is merely the thoughts of ignorance. That is not to say that a Saturn emulator will work well or even play games at any reasonable speed. But it is certainly not impossible.

In fact, as hard as it sounds, I think some of you are complicating the issue; the Saturn's 8 processors don't handle radically different task; in fact, nearly 2 of each processor handles a similar task and the PSP has 3 processors: the CPU, GPU(forgot its real name) and ME; the coders can simply bundle the the similar processors to their PSP counter parts. For instance:

Motorola 68EC000 sound controller and Yamaha FH1 DSP sound processor would be handled by the ME.

Custom VDP 1 32-bit video display processor, Custom VDP 2 32-bit video display processor and Custom Saturn Control Unit (SCU) with DSP for geometry processing and DMA controller would be handled by the VFPU.

And obviously the 2 CPUs would be handled by the PSP's cpu, with the other 2 remaining processors handled by software.

By no means an easy task, but not impossible...

Baboon
February 15th, 2007, 09:52
Ya know,
I'd be suprised, if this guys Japanese.

Japanese can do anything, anything is possible for them.

lol ...how very true!

Just look at what NJ achieved with CPS1,2, MVS and CDZ... all thought impossible not too long ago and now weve got all of them working 100% with ad hoc multiplayer on our PSP's! :thumbup:

To be honest though I really dont think a Saturn emu will ever happen for us (dont quote me on that though lol)... but weve been proven wrong quite a few times before and theres nothing wrong with being optimistic/dreaming. :D

psiko_scweek
February 15th, 2007, 20:28
You will never see a Saturn emulator running commercial games in your PSP. Stop dreaming.

im not dreaming. Im just saying that it might be feasible. And hell I would be happy seeing Saturn PD Roms running on the PSP, just like we have a emulator for the Jaguar, its slow as dirt, but it works.

(btw, 8 processors for the Saturn!? thats a little crazy)

Shrygue
February 15th, 2007, 20:35
It would be great to have a Sega Saturn emulator for PSP.

JKKDARK
February 15th, 2007, 20:44
ijust like we have a emulator for the Jaguar, its slow as dirt, but it works.

so? also there're snes/nes/gen/sms emulators on PSP. What's your point?

F9zDark
February 15th, 2007, 20:52
so? also there're snes/nes/gen/sms emulators on PSP. What's your point?

He made his point and you clearly missed it. Jaguar has 5 processors and yet it made its debut to the PSP...

JKKDARK
February 15th, 2007, 20:59
He made his point and you clearly missed it. Jaguar has 5 processors and yet it made its debut to the PSP...

Jaguar is emulated on PC perfectly, Saturn isn't

F9zDark
February 15th, 2007, 21:07
Jaguar is emulated on PC perfectly, Saturn isn't

Saturn is emulated on PC, its called Yabause. Simply because it doesn't run perfectly doesn't make it impossible.

All emulation is relatively imperfect, especially across dissimilar platforms.

mesosade
February 15th, 2007, 21:09
saturn wasn't a good console to begin with :P

JKKDARK
February 15th, 2007, 21:17
Saturn is emulated on PC, its called Yabause. Simply because it doesn't run perfectly doesn't make it impossible.

All emulation is relatively imperfect, especially across dissimilar platforms.

The Jaguar is emulated even in a old and stupid SSE PC.
When did I say Saturn isn't emulated? I said it's not perfect. Plus you don't have any idea about Saturn emulators since that's not the best.
At the moment, SSF is the best Saturn emulator on PC, it runs 90% of the games. A lot of them have graphic/sound/speed problems and sometimes you should use a old version for better compatibility on some games. And you need to use a SSE2 computer, on SSE it's not compatible.

psiko_scweek
February 15th, 2007, 22:47
im not trying to start anything,

but anything is possible. Im saying if we omit all sound processing and hard code the peripheral processor for one controller and that alone we may be able to cut down on the needs that the emulator may need. The PC emulators may try and emulate all 8 of the processors and we possibly do not need that.

now i say anything is possible, look at the N64 emulator for the PSP, when PSMonkey first ported Nincest to the PSP it ran slow as dirt and everyone said fullspeed was impossible, now fast foward and look at Daedulus (i know i didnt spell that right) and see we have near full speed emulation with sound and its only going to get better. Same story with CPS1 and CPS2 emulators.

now do I think there is a saturn emulator in the works. probably not. but would it be great if there was, and is it possible. probably.

~psiko

(btw, im still waiting for a virtual boy emulator to get ported :p)