PDA

View Full Version : Where the PS3 Stands Now

wraggster
February 15th, 2007, 21:07
Phil Harrison and 1up's Luke Smith had a chat about the current positioning of the PlayStation 3, and it makes for some interesting reading. A quietly confident Harrison discusses the future of game distribution online, their attitude towards competition in the console market, and clarifies a few things about the potential for PS3 price cuts. The previous discussion about price cuts was apparently a big misunderstanding.
"PH: Well, do you know what [Takao Yuhara] said was, cost reduction, not price drop, and there's a big difference between cost reduction and price drop. So, that I believe is where the confusion came from. Obviously, we are investing our money in making PlayStation 3s cheaper to manufacture -- that's part of our business plan. 1UP: You're not going to pass the savings along? PH: When we can, when there are savings to pass along to the consumer, we would obviously choose to do that. That's the business model. 1UP: Wait? You guys are doing this to make money? Really? PH: That's videogame hardware 101."

via /. (http://games.slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=07/02/15/1923234)

Shrygue
February 15th, 2007, 21:14
This is interesting to hear...

joshisposer
February 15th, 2007, 22:54
I'm waiting for this to become out of context for all the other systems to look good. Taking stuff out of context is pretty news these days. People try to make things sound different to bring others down. I am predicting that is what is going to happen with this interview.

F9zDark
February 15th, 2007, 23:30
There's really nothing to take out of context. PH speaks alot of PS3's networking future and how every PS3 has a hard drive in it to make full use of the future of downloadable media.

No MS or Nintendo bashing in this interview. The only times Microsoft came up was from the interviewer.

irongiant
February 16th, 2007, 09:47
Sony, for whatever reason, don't tend to bash MS or Nintendo very often.. they seem confident in their plans and sticking to them. Nintendo also are just going about their business, of making boatloads of money! It's MS that do all the trash talking and that's because they're desperate to knock Sony off the top of the pile.

paul1991
February 16th, 2007, 22:30
Phil Harrison and 1up's Luke Smith had a chat about the current positioning of the PlayStation 3, and it makes for some interesting reading. A quietly confident Harrison discusses the future of game distribution online, their attitude towards competition in the console market, and clarifies a few things about the potential for PS3 price cuts. The previous discussion about price cuts was apparently a big misunderstanding.
"PH: Well, do you know what [Takao Yuhara] said was, cost reduction, not price drop, and there's a big difference between cost reduction and price drop. So, that I believe is where the confusion came from. Obviously, we are investing our money in making PlayStation 3s cheaper to manufacture -- that's part of our business plan. 1UP: You're not going to pass the savings along? PH: When we can, when there are savings to pass along to the consumer, we would obviously choose to do that. That's the business model. 1UP: Wait? You guys are doing this to make money? Really? PH: That's videogame hardware 101."

via /. (http://games.slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=07/02/15/1923234)

LOL. I REPEAT We will never ever ever ever drop the price of the PS3. Those gaming suckers will always be paying to much for our Semi-useless console.