PDA

View Full Version : HDMI Cables

steve-b
February 16th, 2007, 10:52
So, I'm looking at HDMI cables and the price range is crazy. I can pay anything from £8 up to £80.

How the hell can someone justify charging 80 for a 2 foot long cable?

Is there really that much of a difference between cables? Surely a cable is a cable.

Should I just go for the cheap option and hope for the best, or somewhere more middle of the road (20-40)?

I know you get ones with gold connectors and crap like that, but surely that is only of use if the socket it's plugging into is also gold.

Hmm confused...

Xiofire
February 16th, 2007, 16:14
I heard that some have "oxygen free copper" or something that enhances the picture. Sounds like BS to me. Id go with the mid range, or if its for a PS3, the sony offiacl ones.
-Xiofire

Triv1um
February 16th, 2007, 16:20
I know with hifi's wires/interconnecters etc. make ALL the difference with sound.

You get the $8 set and the $80 set you will tell a huge difference if its the same sort of difference as it is with hifi's

reakt
March 5th, 2007, 13:27
I know with hifi's wires/interconnecters etc. make ALL the difference with sound.

You get the $8 set and the $80 set you will tell a huge difference if its the same sort of difference as it is with hifi's

Actually it's a bit different for HDMI. It's important to have high quality cables if you're worried about the quality of an analog signal - i.e. the interconnector example you gave, for a hifi. Digital signals are not the same.

Have a read of this article

http://pcworld.about.com/magazine/2309p111id121777.htm

The basic conclusion is that, for a short length cable (4 metres or less) the picture / sound quality doesn't vary greatly between cheaper and more expensive cables.