PDA

View Full Version : Sony takes on 360's Video Marketplace

wraggster
February 16th, 2007, 15:50
Sony exec Phil Harrison has dropped a heavy hint that PS3 owners will be able to download movies and TV to the console in the not-to-distant future.

"I think PlayStation 3 needs to stand for gaming and digital entertainment in the living room pushing the envelope of high definition, pushing the envelope of broadband, and of course that includes more than just games", Harrison explained to 1Up.com when queried about plans for TV and movie downloads through PlayStation Network.

He continued, "We don't have the announcements that you're probably looking for today, but it is digital data. We have a hard drive, we have a commerce engine, it doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure out we will have that on the network very shortly".

In the interview, Harrison also explained that the decision to include a hard drive in every PS3 was made "because we saw the long term benefit... The ten year plan of allowing people to download all kinds of digital content to their PlayStation 3 - not just games but movies, music, HD, standard definition TV, you name it."

Microsoft of course has already introduced a TV and movie download service States-side for Xbox 360. Via Video Marketplace, 360 owners can download standard and high-definition shows and films.

via cvg (http://www.computerandvideogames.com/article.php?id=158274)

Elven6
February 16th, 2007, 20:42
Mabye someone should hand Sony a compass so they can find themselves some originality!

Shrygue
February 16th, 2007, 20:47
Indeed.

F9zDark
February 16th, 2007, 21:01
I can't stand when people bring up the 'originality' factor. And it seems that only the games industry is plagued with such ignorance.

Competition leads to a better end product.

Imagine if people viewed automobiles as you do when they were invented. That only the original should matter. Imagine how worse off we'd be if there was only 1 car company.

Not only that, but Sony is giving such access to online videos and tv to EVERY PS3 owner. When last I looked Microsoft only gave that option to the Premium buyers.

So how is Sony being unoriginal? In fact, they are being smart...

Tree
February 18th, 2007, 22:35
maybe they could offer some free DVDs for ever sign up to get the ball rollering

ElRazur
February 19th, 2007, 02:45
2nd and 3rd posters need to get some knowledge really.

That is a good move in the right direction from sony. At least it shows their intention and futire vision for he ps3.

briyan
February 19th, 2007, 16:50
i'm a big fan of the XBOX Live Marketplace which I for one frequent, for freebies, demos or any interesting things to buy (gotta have Pablo Francisco stand-up bit) and I'm glad Sony is finally dropping the ball on their downloadable content as well. it's the wave of the future and Sony should take part in it.

now if only they could improve the interface..seriously, navigating through the PlayStation Network is like figuring out how Anna Nicole Smith died.