PDA

View Full Version : Slimmer PS3 on the Way

wraggster
February 16th, 2007, 20:12
It's no surprise to hear that Sony's already working on the next gen PS3, but rumor has it that the new PS3 will have a dramatically different design from its current incarnation, shedding loads of that initial baby fat for a nice svelte profile. Sony Japan says that they're expected to transition to 45-nm chips by 2008. These new chips would halve the size of the PS3's current 90-nm chips, allowing for that thinner, curvier PS3. Considering how fat the current model is, the idea of a slimmer console is a welcome idea indeed.

via gizmodo (http://gizmodo.com/gadgets/home-entertainment/slimmer-ps3-on-the-way-237228.php)

Shrygue
February 16th, 2007, 20:21
This sounds interesting to hear. If a slim-line PS3 is possibly in the making, that would be ace to have. I wonder what price Sony would fix on that though.

Xiofire
February 16th, 2007, 21:17
Damn it! Not again. So im going to drop £425 on a PS3 now, just to have a new updated version released 1 year later? When will companies stop doing this? Release your product, and stick by it, dont make multiple versions of it.
-Xiofire

Nicko01
February 16th, 2007, 21:30
Now I'm glad I didn't get a PS3 yet :D

Napalm-Death
February 16th, 2007, 22:20
I told my friends at school that it would happen...but they didn't believe me. If only I had made bets, I'd probably be able to get one now.

mnuhaily22
February 17th, 2007, 09:17
I don't want a slim one, it just messes u easier, like the slim PS2, the lazer is so weak...

mavsman4457
February 17th, 2007, 23:52
If Sony takes my idea then they will be smart. Make several versions of the PS3 that are all still PS3. Since they are going to be able to make slim PS3's, and PS3 is already a computer, they can consider something. What is a slimmer, more mobile computer? Hmmm, ahh yes, a laptop! Sony should make a PS3 laptop that comes preinstalled with a distro of Linux that is easy to learn and resembles windows so people can use it easily. I would definately buy a PS3 laptop if it were available and if it could stay at $600, which I doubt, it would be a great cheap option of a laptop since most good laptops right now, if I am not mistaken, are upwords of $1000. I'm not really sure how "slim" the next PS3 would be though so we'll have to see. They could also have PS3's that have larger hard drives and different colors, as they have done with all of their other consoles. Eventually they should come out with a PS3P that uses lots of flash memory instead of a hard drive. That would obviously be very very hard to slim it down that much but I can dream can't I?

devdj
February 18th, 2007, 00:04
i don't even think the ps3 will last that long for sony to make a slim one, but if it will hopefully the price will be half the price it is now.

wind_mill
February 18th, 2007, 08:42
Slimmer AND cheaper ps3?

My patience is slowly paying of!:thumbup:

masterpaul
February 18th, 2007, 10:43
Laptop PS3!

Accordion
February 18th, 2007, 11:10
how can so many people jump to such conclusions...

Triv1um
February 18th, 2007, 11:23
Lol, when will the madness of sony stop.

Its either colours or sizes.

So really its just a huge kick in the balls to the people that went out and brought it on the release.

mavsman4457
February 19th, 2007, 04:42
Lol, when will the madness of sony stop.

Its either colours or sizes.

So really its just a huge kick in the balls to the people that went out and brought it on the release.

I went out and bought a PS3 6 days after launch but I am still pumped about getting a slim PS3 or a laptop. but also consider that like somebody said about 3 posts above me, these are all speculation. It is likely that they will make a slimmer version just based on what they've done in the past and what they may do with the PSP but the laptop is 100% speculation by me. But wouldn't it be sweet?

mnuhaily22
February 19th, 2007, 12:46
Laptop would be realy sick though...