PDA

View Full Version : Devhook Firmware Installer: v0.6d

wraggster
February 16th, 2007, 22:23
Sleepy (http://www.psp-programming.com/forums/index.php?topic=1898.0) posted this news/release:

Devhook Firmware Installer: v0.6d

About:

This program was originally created by tommydanger, as a n00b friendly way to install new scary firmwares into Devhook easily. I simply modified it to make it neater, have wider compatibility, and also support the newest firmwares. I also made it so I could win some rocks in flatmush's little contest (and because Booster could be busy right now).

To Use:

Put program in GAME or GAME150 folder (depending on firmware version), and put the update eboot in the ms0:/ (must have devhook installed, or at least dh/FW#). Run program and enjoy Devhook

Changelog:

Version 0.6d
*Removed error causing crashes
*Added full support for firmwares 3.03 - 3.11
*Tidied up and re-arranged code
*Bugs found and wiped out
*Smoothed out the code a bit
*Made a new ICON0 for the program
*Added support for firmware 3.02 and everything below (just in case...)

Known Issues:

None yet, and I have tested it. Seems to work fine on all firmwares.

Download and Give Feedback Via Comments

Shrygue
February 16th, 2007, 22:28
I use custom firmware but sometimes I use Device Hook so I'll download this and try it out.

DarthPaul
February 16th, 2007, 22:33
Very useful specially for the 1.50 users out there.

Mc_Logical
February 16th, 2007, 23:41
devhook, damn i havent heard about this in awhile since custom firmware rules if there is any 1.5 users get out with the old and in with the new and stop acting like pussys scared to update to custom firmware lol u can easily go back to 1.5 if u dont like custom firmware but i bet u dont.

no_pulse
February 16th, 2007, 23:59
Good job, glad to see people are still working on devhook & thinking of the 1.5 users. :)

devhook, damn i havent heard about this in awhile since custom firmware rules if there is any 1.5 users get out with the old and in with the new and stop acting like pussys scared to update to custom firmware lol u can easily go back to 1.5 if u dont like custom firmware but i bet u dont.

Just so you know, a lot of people who still use 1.5 don't upgrade because they don't want to risk bricking their PSP. They may not think it is worth the risk.
Please consider a name change because that one doesn't seem to suit you..

froggie22
February 17th, 2007, 00:41
There is less chance of brikcing once using custom fw coz of the recovery menu so i dont see why they are still there. its so much safer than 1.5

LC_killer
February 17th, 2007, 01:15
Good job, glad to see people are still working on devhook & thinking of the 1.5 users. :)

Please consider a name change because that one doesn't seem to suit you..

LOL I LOVE TIS QUOTE. but yes alot of people havnt upgraded from 1.5

Mc_Logical
February 17th, 2007, 02:05
Just so you know, a lot of people who still use 1.5 don't upgrade because they don't want to risk bricking their PSP. They may not think it is worth the risk.
Please consider a name change because that one doesn't seem to suit you.. u what? dont judge my name fool and u was saying they dont wanna risk bricking (state the obvious) so that proves my point as in pussys scared to take risks that are 99% success. btw my name doesnt refer 2me it refers 2my rythmes and what i do say for real, what i say on the net is just me fooling mainly from bordom. oh! please consider a name change because that one doesnt suit u thats because u have a pulse lol (eyes roll) damn geeks, in a way im advising any 1.5 users not 2be scared and try custom firmware and u can go baaaaaaaaaaaaack! to 1.5 but is there any point? when custom firmware is joint with 1.5. I know its stupid to argue on the net but ppl prevoke me. can i comment without some twat commenting back? i know i said pussy etc im just being stupid but saying something with meaning at the same time its just me.

dejkirkby
February 17th, 2007, 02:07
McLogical Are you arguing with yourself? Why on earth would you quote yourself then argue?

Mc_Logical
February 17th, 2007, 02:22
McLogical Are you arguing with yourself? Why on earth would you quote yourself then argue? lol i clicked on the wrong quote, tired its late in uk.

baracki96
February 17th, 2007, 05:45
I wonder, is it possible to use devhook in the custom firmwares? just to see how a change in font or something will look without flashing.

Basil Zero
February 17th, 2007, 06:19
isnt it possible to use Dev hook in 3.03 OE-C?

cause i heard u can, if u dump it

mnuhaily22
February 17th, 2007, 07:07
I just got location free player running on my PSP, I dumped 3.10 then took the lftv fles, and that was it, cool ha...

Mc_Logical
February 17th, 2007, 09:10
I wonder, is it possible to use devhook in the custom firmwares? just to see how a change in font or something will look without flashing.yea it works on custom firmware i use to use devhook on 2.71 SE etc it has 1.5 kernal yeah! :thumbup:

no_pulse
February 17th, 2007, 10:00
u what? dont judge my name fool and u was saying they dont wanna risk bricking (state the obvious) so that proves my point as in pussys scared to take risks that are 99% success. btw my name doesnt refer 2me it refers 2my rythmes and what i do say for real, what i say on the net is just me fooling mainly from bordom. oh! please consider a name change because that one doesnt suit u thats because u have a pulse lol (eyes roll) damn geeks, in a way im advising any 1.5 users not 2be scared and try custom firmware and u can go baaaaaaaaaaaaack! to 1.5 but is there any point? when custom firmware is joint with 1.5. I know its stupid to argue on the net but ppl prevoke me. can i comment without some twat commenting back? i know i said pussy etc im just being stupid but saying something with meaning at the same time its just me.

Sorry, I didn't realise my opinion would bother you so much.
Anyway, upgrading to 3.10 OE-A bricked one of my PSP's (I got the blue screen of death when i tried to load the web browser then it wouldn't reboot) but I successfully upgraded my other with no problems. So there is still an element of risk to upgrading.

b8a
February 17th, 2007, 10:49
pussys scared to take risks that are 99% success
Meow!

It's not about thinking that the Custom Firmware sucks or anything, it's more about not being able to afford a second PSP if anything goes wrong. And I've read plenty of posts from people who had installed every previous Custom Firmware and were full on confident in the process, only to end up with a brick. Sure, once you get to CF, the benefits are undeniable, but it's an expensive gamble for us poor people, and I think that a 99% success rate is a huge over exaggeration. From the posts I've read, it's probably closer to about 70%.

Maybe in a year from now, I'll be bored with what I can currently do with my PSP and take the plunge to CF, but I'm still having tons of fun with my PSP as it is. And as of right now, there's not much that CF users (at 3.10) can do that I can't do with DevHook 3.03. And the PlayStation emulator isn't really that big of a sell for me.

...So big thanks to Sleepy for updating this! That would be great if Booster kept up his work with DevHook, but I don't think the future looks great for it:

During development, there were numerous times with the MS and UMD launching where it would hangup.
The cause is unknown but, between DualBIOS noise, devhook, devhook launcher, and PSAR Dumper execution, I was frequently forcing the power off and I think that this damaged the flash contents.
When this condition occurs, normal FW1.50 PSP's are unable to restore on their own, and so for those using this from FW1.50, I recomend using a combination of Dark_Alex's CustomFirmware with recovery mode and a backup of an uncorrupted copy of your NAND Flash.
Please feel free to use either devhook or CFW at your own risk.

Since FW1.50 has zero virus resistance, you should probably just use HEND or OE.
Of course, if Booster had never developed DevHook so that you have the option to flash some of the files (DevHook has always worked great from the Memory Stick alone), then I don't think that he'd be having the problems he mentioned, but as it is, I think that he's firmly sold on CF as being the way forward. I hope he'll keep on updating DevHook, but the future doesn't look rosy and I'm not holding my breath.

fistikuffs
February 17th, 2007, 11:24
Off topic but is the success rate for customs firmwares really as low as 70%? And this is following the read me correctly? I have personally downgraded 7 or 8 psp's and then upgraded them all to 3.03OE with no problems whatsoever?

b8a
February 17th, 2007, 12:07
Off topic but is the success rate for customs firmwares really as low as 70%?
It's speculation, just like Mr_Logical's figure. We'll never know the true number because not everyone who succeeds or fails posts with their experiences. I simply based my speculation off of all of the posts I've read. Yes, a large majority of users reported success, but I've also seen a large number of posts that reported failure. I haven't been keeping precise count, but "70%" feels much closer to reflecting reality than "99%".

It may be, by and large, a safe process, but it's pretty damning when Dark_Alex releases an update which specifically mentions provides a lessened chance of bricking (which he did). It's an admission that there's still a considerable amount of uncertainty in the process. If you can afford to take the risk, right on, I'm happy for you! But I personally don't think it's financially prudent to ever get too comfortable mucking around with your flash on a regular basis.

d_ciel
February 17th, 2007, 12:57
this prog. says it doesnt support 3.11...
and it hanged...
maybe it doesn't work with 3.11 pbp.

d_ciel
February 17th, 2007, 13:41
sorry to post wrong information,
i needed have 311 folder in dh and i didn't.

SSaxdude
February 17th, 2007, 16:04
There really is no risk of upgrading to 3.10 OE-A, as long as the DXAR you're using works correctly and you don't turn off the PSP while upgrading. I've upgraded a couple of PSPs to 3.0X OE-X and they all work fine.

cruisx
February 18th, 2007, 05:23
so does this app let me emulate 3.10 via devhook?!

d_ciel
February 18th, 2007, 10:53
This prog needs an ability to make a folder for
dh Hook files...

Tron_Fan
February 19th, 2007, 03:23
If I'm running 2.7 using eLoader .99 can I devhook into something that will let me run ratchett & clank or do I have to downgrade?

animekid4
February 19th, 2007, 03:38
OK........after this program runs I get to a blue screen that says
'Extracting PSAR....!'
'Done!'
'Failed to create report file'
'Stick may be full or can't create OUT folder'
Help please. I really want to play rachet and clank with my brother.

b8a
February 19th, 2007, 10:33
so does this app let me emulate 3.10 via devhook?!
Nope! I was also hoping that this somehow magically enabled you to use it, but it doesn't. Sleepy said that he only enabled this app to create the nessecary files so that if/when booster does decide to update DevHook to support 3.10/3.11, it'll be ready to go.

This point probably could've used a little more clarification in the original post.