PDA

View Full Version : Next-gen consoles ‘eight to ten times’ more powerful, games to cost $69, says EA

wraggster
February 28th, 2013, 00:16
PS4 and the next Xbox are 8 to 10 times the power of the current generation consoles and games are expected to cost around $69, EA executives Rajat Taneja and Blake Jorgensen have said.Speaking at Morgan Stanley’s Technology, Media and Telecom Conference, Jorgensen also explained why EA wasn’t part of last week’s PlayStation Meeting. EA’s global chief technology officer and executive vice president Rajat Taneja described PS4 and the next Xbox’s tech as a “gigantic leap for our industry”.“I won’t go into the nitty-gritty of every component, but if you look at it in an aggregate basis, the new consoles are between 8 and 10 times the power of the current generation,” he said.“The architecture of the consoles is based on standard PC components and technologies. So our own investments in our back end engine like Frostbite, our libraries, our tools will very smoothly run on this and make it easier for us to innovate to the new console technologies themselves. What used to take months in the past will now take days to do.”Next-gen software pricing was also discussed at the event, with Jorgensen anticipating a price rise with the launch of the new consoles.“I think, typically, at the start of a cycle, you’ve seen the pricing raise, say, to $69 for a core piece of software,” he said. “And then over the life of those, that’s drifted down to introduction price, typically now around $59. We haven’t yet set pricing on our gen 4s, but you probably see a similar trend to that during the start of the next cycle.”Jorgensen was also asked why EA wasn’t part of PlayStation Meeting last week. “I think it’s more about timing of our own slate, as well as trying to maintain a good balance of power with all the parties out there and choosing when to unveil certain pieces of software,” he explained. “I’d say between now and E3, you’re going to see a lot of stuff from us and we just choose, on our marketing cadence, as to when to start to announce stuff.”

http://www.edge-online.com/news/next-gen-consoles-eight-to-ten-times-more-powerful-games-to-cost-69-says-ea/