PDA

View Full Version : Hard questions: Wii novelty and drought in effect?

wraggster
February 18th, 2007, 22:19
Via joystiq (http://www.joystiq.com/2007/02/18/hard-questions-wii-novelty-and-drought-in-effect/)

CVG decided to unleash the beast question: Is the novelty of the Wii wearing off? The drought is in full effect, but in all fairness, the same can be said for the PS3. The Virtual Console games are rolling out slowly, but old games to those who don't need to ask for mom and dad's credit card do not a console make. The Gamecube turned Wii games are good and fine, but where are the Wii games?

CVG says, "Most prominent is the first batch of games, many of which do a better job at exposing the obstacles of full motion control, rather than the benefits ... Red Steel is twitchy and occasionally clumsy, Need For Speed: Most Wanted is near unplayable, Far Cry got it all wrong, and the motion control in Marvel: Ultimate Alliance just feels tacked on."

The Wii is selling well enough and its Gamecube backwards compatibility, along with the VC, is a good distraction for many to not realize there isn't much of a Wii offering yet -- once again, the same can be said for the PS3. Oh well, don't be surprised to see more Wii backlash until there are some legitimate offerings this Christmas.

ICE
February 18th, 2007, 22:29
ok i STILL dont see how red steel is twitchy.. if you aim off screen it freaks out. true but if you just dont aim of screen..... i mean its not that complicated.. people need to quick saying stuff with no reall base for the story. when has a systems launch EVER been perfect? just shut up and give it some freaking time! metroid and mario will (hopefully) be out soon as well as SSBB and if you still think its just novelty then you can talk but not now. its just too early to make an informed decision.

Demolition49
February 19th, 2007, 02:26
well, i think its down to your ability... i mean i complted need for speed... admitted it was hard to get used to but not impossible. Once you get used to it, its great. Maybe people just arnt as skillful as me :D lol.

P.S its not need for speed: most wanted.....

its need for speed: carbon

get spelling right guys :D

shadowprophet
February 19th, 2007, 02:27
No. THe novelty of the wii is indeed wearing off. Those people at joystiq aren't the lest bit (wii-tarded) Nope.
Three months after the most stellar console launch since the NES people are finely able to take a break look up from their Tvs and reflect and sure that's a definite sign of the novelty of the wii going right down the drain.. yeap sure is. :rofl: :rofl:

ICE
February 19th, 2007, 03:03
sarcasm?

shadowprophet
February 19th, 2007, 04:11
sarcasm?
Indeed

Shadowblind
February 19th, 2007, 04:18
The whole Next-gen war thing is gettin a little old. People are losin interest I guess.

But the "same can be said for the PS3"?

No.

Go to Wal-Mart you'll find 5.

eLAy12
February 19th, 2007, 05:57
The Wii is new tech, and with new tech comes new obstacles to learn and get over. Give the developers time to create games with the revolutionary Wii-mote. If you still complain after this post, then please take the time to make me a better game for the wii and then see how hard it is to come up and program a game for the wii.

SwordOfZork
February 19th, 2007, 06:00
I think a huge portion of the Wii's initial sales were due to novelty, and it may be wearing off a bit. This isn't necessarily a bad thing. Regardless of how the sales were high, they were high. We'll start seeing more and better games that make better use of the unique controls before too long. The Wii is still carrying a lot of momentum.

strumstrum
February 19th, 2007, 08:31
certainly not wearing off for me, I am glad I have my birthday mid march because I was looking at the releases between now and the end of march and there are 6 Wii titles on my 'defo' list..

ICE
February 19th, 2007, 16:04
even though i played the godfather on ps2 a while back im still getting it for the wii on the first day its out. the last game i had gotten pre-wii was over 6 months ago. post wii i bought red steel, zelda, trauma center, and now the godfather in a month!! i am basically constantly broke now thanks to wii. novelty wearing off?? no