PDA

View Full Version : Is it possible to have low res on an hdtv ?

wraggster
March 6th, 2013, 12:24
the other day i thought i would have a game on the super nes, tried it on all my TVs and it looked awful playing Mario World on all of them, is there a way of making an hdtv display at low res or am i just going to have to buy an old CRT tv ?

WhizzBang
March 6th, 2013, 16:33
I don't know the answer but you probably can't.

Have you seen what Playstation 1 games look like on a modern TV? Worse than SNES.

wraggster
March 6th, 2013, 22:26
yeah the old consoles do look rubbish on todays tvs, looks like im gonna have to go on gumtree and do some spending, pity i chucked away all my old tvs

tech-ultrasonic
March 8th, 2013, 17:37
I too tried to adjust the resolution but to no avail. I think the new technology does not favor the old one. Luckily I still have an old TV that is used just to connect the PlayStation ! that I never threw because i received it as a birthday present.

WhizzBang
March 9th, 2013, 06:46
That is probably the way to go (keep an old CRT tv), although little lcd screens may also be an option. A PS1 does look good on those little clip on screens made for it, so what is required for old consoles like the SNES is a small lcd screen.

Bucking this trend of old machines looking poor on modern tvs is the ZX Spectrum - it actually looks better than it did on an old style tv.