PDA

View Full Version : Daaaaaamn. "Trade the Past... Play the Future"? That's pretty cold, EB. This image, c

wraggster
February 20th, 2007, 01:03
via kotaku (http://kotaku.com/gaming/nintendo/eb-disses-psp-237933.php)

Daaaaaamn. "Trade the Past... Play the Future"? That's pretty cold, EB. This image, courtesy of GAF member "Testicular Sound Express", clearly shows that the GameStop Corp-owned retailer loves the Nintendo DS Lite.

Remember when the PSP was touted as the "Walkman of the 21st century"? Say, that reminds me. I may be on G4 again tomorrow, possibly in the position of playing PSP apologist. That should be fun!

Offending Screenshot Via Comments

xg917
February 20th, 2007, 01:07
WTF!! A PSP IS SO MUCH MORE VALUABLE THAN A DS!!

and wuts the difference between DS lite and normal DS?

zsc
February 20th, 2007, 01:13
smaller and lighter

Gene
February 20th, 2007, 01:16
Ripoff anyone?

Deathnix
February 20th, 2007, 01:39
WTF!! A PSP IS SO MUCH MORE VALUABLE THAN A DS!!

and wuts the difference between DS lite and normal DS?

Am affraid I will have to call you retarded for both things you said.
Sorry, nothing personal.

RevVS
February 20th, 2007, 02:35
I wouldn't read too much into this.

I mean, you've seen this design before for other "trade deals" they offer. And all I see here is a graphic designer with another deadline that just cut and pasted new images into an old form.

I seriously doubt they or anybody in EB games blinked at the possible implication of this.

xg917
February 20th, 2007, 02:51
Am affraid I will have to call you retarded for both things you said.
Sorry, nothing personal.

DS ***g

devmas
February 20th, 2007, 03:12
Hey, doesn't that ad look like it was made in the 1980's? It looks so... retro. It might as well say "Now you're playing with power!"

psp411
February 20th, 2007, 03:25
get real yo... why wud any1 even make an ad like that???? if anything, trade in 2 ds lites n get a psp... dat sounds bettr :D :cool:

emuking
February 20th, 2007, 03:28
Hey, doesn't that ad look like it was made in the 1980's? It looks so... retro. It might as well say "Now you're playing with power!"

true it does look like an 80's ad

on another note so true the ds kicks ass

emuking
February 20th, 2007, 03:31
DS ***g

wtf is wrong with you fanboy, back off,geez i hate flamers :mad:

Deathnix
February 20th, 2007, 03:37
DS ***g

So mature

vision
February 20th, 2007, 03:44
Youre the one who called him retarded.... Anyways this does look very old....

SSaxdude
February 20th, 2007, 04:01
A DS Lite beats a PSP hands down. A PSP with firmware 3.10 OE-A slightly beats the DS.

F9zDark
February 20th, 2007, 04:09
Lets not all forget that it was the PSP that made Nintendo slim down the DS in the first place and had they never did that, the DS would have died very easily. Sales were decent for the Phat DS, but once Lite rolled into town...

I cannot believe that EB Games would make such an ad. The PSP isn't down yet But then again they are greedy ****s. I mean, taking a PSP, giving someone a DS Lite in return is a huge prospective profit gain. Why are they doing this now even though sales for the PSP are still decent? Because now they can bank on it, alot.

BrooksyX
February 20th, 2007, 04:27
They must not know about PSP homebrew and emulators. :D

pibs
February 20th, 2007, 04:36
Thats pretty cold. Can't we all just get along.

iwillifimust
February 20th, 2007, 04:38
They must not know about PSP homebrew and emulators. :D

yeah when i went in to my friendly neighborhood gs to get a used gta:lcs umd and asked if i could see it and test it the guy at the desk asked "why would you ever need one of those?" to which i replied "for homebrew" to which he replied "isn't 2.6 better for that?"

idapimp
February 20th, 2007, 05:30
i have both systems and i like them about equal. i like the ds because the commercial games kick psp games' asses. but as far as homebrew is concerned, i'm happier with psp.

The_It
February 20th, 2007, 05:52
wow, 100 dollars for a psp?! I can't wait to trade it in for store credit and buy a used GBA... its totaly worth it. in stead of having loads of gba games on my little card, I can carry them in a giant purse.

The_It
February 20th, 2007, 05:54

lol if it was from the 1980s, there would be a typical blond hair, blue eyes american child with the "wow" expression on his face, like on the magnavox odyssey 2 box, and the atari 2600 box.

yeah... I know someone that did one of these deals so he could buy a xbox 360... sold tons of his old games to buy it, no games either. I don't know if this has anything to do with that, but he lives in a quadrant home.

Broadus
February 20th, 2007, 06:48
Whoa whoa whoa, guys. What's with the stupid argument about DS versus PSP, as if one was somehow undeniably better than the other? The PSP IS more valuable than the DS. Just look at the friggin' price tag. It's not about the way you dudes feel about the consoles. I feel that a lot of crap I've spent cash on should've cost me less for how crappy it was, but that doesn't mean anything.

The only reason the PSP is such a terrible failure in sales is because nobody wants to buy new ones, as they're all homebrew-proof and only crazy people WOULDN'T want homebrew, and also the greatness of homebrew left an opening for the terrors of illegal ISO-playing without the ownership of UMDs, stopping a lot of people from actually paying for PSP games.
That, and almost all of the PSP games made since the release of the PSP two years ago are just overpriced pieces of crap anyway, so everyone just plays homebrew.
Meanwhile, the Nintendo DS has Mario Kart DS. Gotta' get me some o'dat!

quzar
February 20th, 2007, 07:13
Any more fighting here and there will be even more red cards passed out. Keep it to objective discussion or pure opinion only, no personal attacks.

Mc_Logical
February 20th, 2007, 07:48
PSP is alot sexier than a DS plus the screen is bigger and the feel of a PSP is alot better i hate the look of a DS and most of the games are kiddy games, it might be more popular than a PSP but overall the PSP wins in my opinion plus custom firmware rules!!!!!! a DS would last 5mins with me i use a PSP most dayz

btw is it me or does the ad poster look like a hoax? lol

mcvader
February 20th, 2007, 08:39
Even second hand PSP's cost more than DS lite's from what I've seen anyway,
I recently brought my bro's DS phat off him for $50(20quid)!!, I sold it to him 6 months ago for $100 lol.

I like the deals EB have where you can trade in a GameCube and 10 games to save $100 on a Wii lol.

.:}<3\/!}\{:.
February 20th, 2007, 08:53
It's true that the ds is more better than the psp NOW, if psp either make more better games like Metal gear solid portable ops or allow homebrew then obviously Sony will pwn only then............

Hobobo
February 20th, 2007, 09:21
It says SAVE at the bottom o_o

You probably paid more for the PSP than the DS :o

MaxSMoke
February 20th, 2007, 11:33
What kinda retard would trade a PSP for a DS? I tell you what, I have a DS Lite that's gathering dust right now. I'll trade it for ANY full-fuctional PSP... in a HEARTBEAT.

Well some of the whiny fanboys here might considering the PSP a "Terrible Failure", I think you could all do with some Perspective, here.

Nintendo has been the reigning champion of handheld games, even before the first Gameboy was released. Sony has been at it for about 2 years and is already in 2nd place, taking away nearly 1/3 of the market from Nintendo. There's no failure here. I suppose some might have hoped it that would crush Nintendo outright. But then again, the PS1 took years before it eclipsed the N64. And look at the PS2, which IS the best selling game console of all time. For god sakes, we're only taking about 2 years time for the PSP. Enough with the mindless rhetoric about Sony's failure. So far it's been an unadulterated success!

And yes, Deathnix is stupid.

M-Lin
February 20th, 2007, 12:17
woo hoo!

product A is being pushed over product B today - tomorrow product C will be released and global electronics company X will forget A & B.

YAWWN

mcvader
February 20th, 2007, 12:24
@MaxSMoke, it not hard to be in 2nd place when theres only two horses in the race.

PenguinMaster
February 20th, 2007, 12:31
@MaxSMoke, it not hard to be in 2nd place when theres only two horses in the race.

All the other handhelds that have gone against Nintendo have failed miserably (N-Gage, Game.com, Game Gear, Nomad, Lynx, Neo Geo Pocket Color, etc.) Compared to them, PSP is doing great. Placing in 2nd is far better than never getting to the race.

masterpaul
February 20th, 2007, 12:38
PSP... Its not bad being 2nd. Don't Cry

mcvader
February 20th, 2007, 12:40
All the other handhelds that have gone against Nintendo have failed miserably (N-Gage, Game.com, Game Gear, Nomad, Lynx, Neo Geo Pocket Color, etc.) Compared to them, PSP is doing great. Placing in 2nd is far better than never getting to the race.

true, but all those consoles were in second place at some point, sure they were a distant second (if only game gears didn't eat up batterys so much) but second nonetheless.

Don't get me wrong I love PSP's, there's nothing wrong with the product, I think because of games like GTA parents won't buy them for their kids which is where most of the DS's sales come from.

I only recently heard about the nomad, if they released that a few years earlier it would have been king!

MaxSMoke
February 20th, 2007, 12:57
The Nomad was cool, but it was a monstrous brick that only lasted a few hours on it's HUGE battery pack. I actually have one around here, somewhere. But it was never a real hand-held. It was more like those huge laptops people like buying, semi-portable. I loved playing my Genesis games on it, but I could never see taking it with me anywhere. Too BIG!

The PSP's only stumbling block is it's high price. Too high for most people I know. I only got one because I buy alot of game related stuff. Homebrew would easily justify it's price, if Sony would just back off these firmware releases. I've personally written a letter to Sony about allowing Homebrew, but they wrote me back telling me Homebrew is "Dangerous". Whatever.

Sony has some of the best Engineers on the planet making stuff, but I swear the guys-in-suits that run the place are a bunch of monkeys.

Still, anger at Sony's Management aside, the posts on this website are getting WAY out of control. I dislike Sony's policy towards Homebrew as much as anybody, but Wraggster is just PSP Bashing at this point. And the Nintendo Fanboys on this forum need to GET LOST!

This is a website for PSP Homebrew, not DS or Wii discussions. And all of these stupid posts bashing the PSP need to stop. This website used to be #1 in Google's search for "PSP Homebrew". Now it's #3. Soon it won't even be in the top 20. Either this website has to concentrate on PSP Homebrew again, or it just needs to shutdown.

E.J.
February 20th, 2007, 13:00
Who would trade a Homebrew capable PSP for a NDS???, it sounds crazy to me...

mcvader
February 20th, 2007, 13:10
Actually this website was for Dreamcast homebrew and now it covers every recent console that there is homebrew for including the DS and Wii, I doubt the members here care where the site is on the google list but you're right that there is too much sony bashing going on, if sony went bust everyone would be crying for them to come back just like with sega.

I would have liked to have seen that letter from sony trying to scare you off homebrew lol.

MaxSMoke
February 20th, 2007, 13:18
My letter is around here somewhere, I should have had it framed! I was trying to get other people here to write the same letter, but I don't think anybody cared enough to try.

The executives at Sony are mostly stuff old Japanese business men. They don't understand this Homebrew scene, all they see is piracy. They need to wake up. Maybe with the PS3, they might. The PS3 allows you to install Linux and tinker with the system. I still hold out hope that someday they will seen this Open-Source Homebrew as the positive thing it is, and not something that hurts their bottom line. It's keep my interest in the PSP, and I've spent thousands on PSP games. I own over 70 of them!

briyan
February 20th, 2007, 13:39
PSP is King. DS is the Court Jester. I've said it before and I'll say it again, Nintendo is all about innovating gameplay controls but they are not pushing the envelope at all towards next generation. Look at the Wii, it's a product of last gen combined with gimmicky controls, all wrapped in a new box and simultaneously released with an actual next gen system to justify its cause. Seriously, Nintendo is content on banking on gimmicks and i just pity the fools that fall from grace and pickup a Nintendo console. The next-gen of gaming is here, drop your styluses and wii motes and pick up a PSP, an XBOX360 controller or a Six-Axis.

Cloud_35
February 20th, 2007, 15:38
Awwwww, c'mon, what can you do of intrest in that DS thing??? Raise dogs?.............I admit that mostly the DS is more innovating than the PSP, but still, this little wonder machine has more to offer than the DS.

If you wanna change a PSPsp for a DS "lite" you should ASK them for PAYING you!!!

Basil Zero
February 20th, 2007, 15:43
100 bucks for a psp, ripoff

150-170 bucks would be reasonable, not 100

and besides, psp(homebrewable) pwns DS

INixxI
February 20th, 2007, 16:12
100 bucks for a psp, ripoff

150-170 bucks would be reasonable, not 100

and besides, psp(homebrewable) pwns DS

When they are only reselling the thing for between 150 and 170, what could possibly motivate them to offer you that much for yours?

shadowhawk22
February 20th, 2007, 16:32
Lol. This is pretty funny. Obviously this is more from Nintendo than from EB. EB and other retail companies like to let people like Nintendo run their in-store marketing. I don't think they think the PSP is the past, especially since it is still technologically superior...

I do hate EB though, just for the record.

Broadus
February 20th, 2007, 19:16
Wow, I can see nobody took in MY wise words.
My work here is done!

NightRaven
February 20th, 2007, 19:20
Wow the irony of this thread is bustin out the seams it seems. Personally I see nothing wrong with a NDS but I would never trade my magnificent little black box. On a seperate note, EB/GS wont be gettin my money anytime soon :P:eek:

Basil Zero
February 20th, 2007, 19:26
When they are only reselling the thing for between 150 and 170, what could possibly motivate them to offer you that much for yours?

ummm, can we say H-O-M-E-B-R-E-W

anyways, its a ripoff regardless, and i really dont care:rofl:

jools
February 20th, 2007, 20:17
wtf the ds is half a year older than the psp...
the ds lights almost exactly the same.

whats up with this big fascination with the ds just now, I have one but I cant find any good games for it at all apart from advanced wars 3 which only lasts so long.

Shrygue
February 20th, 2007, 20:27
Trade PSP for DS Lite? No way! The PSP is far better and I'll stick with that.

Cloud_35
February 20th, 2007, 21:36
Wow, I can see nobody took in MY wise words.
My work here is done!

:( yer right............................................. .....

guess this discussion now has become EVEN MORE stupid than it was before.Even posting in this thread is stupid. The whole thread is stupid. This post is now stupid.

I feel stupid.:confused:

masterpaul
February 20th, 2007, 22:31
Dogs are fun if your a girl... but if you a boy its the amazing controls for fps and strategys.

And dont forget the online multiplayer of Mk and HUNTERS.

OH, and Im also going to be enjoying a shit loads of original exclusives from square-inx and maybe from microsoft also.

Dont forget Zelda and the inevitable sequel to Hunters AND MARIO.

Vega
February 20th, 2007, 22:35
of course, we are all psp fans here... but dont go all out to flame ds owners and the DS itself. it still has some terrific games.

masterpaul
February 20th, 2007, 22:59
This topic is starting to get lame. It should be locked.

PSP has some good games while the DS has a lot of good games.

lockrock
February 20th, 2007, 23:10
the only thing i don't get is why they just don't block isos

Camelot
February 20th, 2007, 23:41
the only thing i don't get is why they just don't block isos

idk... its almost like they think it would be the deciding point for those who are trying to chose between the ds and the psp, and want to play backups. But it doesnt seem to be hurting them any since they still sell more games then the psp.

F9zDark
February 21st, 2007, 03:05
I don't like fanboys as much as the next guy, but EB needs to take that advert down. Really, its just insulting to think of how greedy they are.

Think of it like this:

You buy a PSP entertainment pack for 250 USD.
It collects dust for awhile. You drop in and see the EB Advert: trade in your 250 USD investment for a DS Lite (which retails for 129 USD). So you're out about 121 USD.

EB games resells the same entertainment pack as 'Used' for 200 USD.... They made just made a 321 USD profit at the purchaser's expense, and thats not including any games traded in or purchased...

This kind of greed cannot continue and if I were Sony, I'd sue EBGames. The PSP is not "the past". When a next-gen handheld comes out, then ok I can see that. But the DS's popularity hardly deems the PSP 'past hardware'. The PSP is years ahead of the DS in terms of potential power. MGS:PO proves that, being almost as beautiful graphically as MGS3.

Yes the DS has great games and its price point makes it very attractive, but its hardly new enough to consider the PSP 'in the past'.

I pity the fools who take EB up on this offer...

ish420ism
February 21st, 2007, 06:40
good one dude, lmao

ish420ism
February 21st, 2007, 06:43
if i wanted to play a slightly better GBA, i'd play my ngage alittle more

ish420ism
February 21st, 2007, 06:51
how much money is made on third party software anyways?....I mean, knowing that PSP's can be hacked, should create the buzz, and sony might make the money on hardware, rather than SW.

But who knows.... I still love PSP better than beefed up GBA.

Uchuu
February 21st, 2007, 07:27
sigh.....EB is just trying to scam people to trade in their psp's for the DS. It's too obvious. C'mon, who's going to sell their psp, which cost $250, for $100 in store credit?

sheng
February 21st, 2007, 09:30
look they get more money if someone trade in a PSP for a DS lite... cause they can sell the psp off for a higher price...

It's about about the money... and since kids get PSP for present and want a DS anyway... it makes it a good deal...

PSP=DS

masterpaul
February 21st, 2007, 09:44
DS=PSP

Someone... Just lock this stupid thread

F9zDark
February 21st, 2007, 23:45
DS=PSP

Someone... Just lock this stupid thread

What's your deal man? You can't debate a topic of interest without trying to a damn a thread into closure on no reasonable grounds?

Why do you consider DS=PSP? The PSP is far superior in graphics, processing and homebrew. Its games need some work, but it owns the DS in just about every department that this site concerns itself with...

gamer121
February 22nd, 2007, 01:45
What's your deal man? You can't debate a topic of interest without trying to a damn a thread into closure on no reasonable grounds?

Why do you consider DS=PSP? The PSP is far superior in graphics, processing and homebrew. Its games need some work, but it owns the DS in just about every department that this site concerns itself with...

you basically said the DS has better games but the PSP is better?

Also you should consider that homebrew mostly means= non PSP things. meaning most of are playing non sony things. its like saying the PSP is better because it can plan old NINTENDO, sega, and arcade games. The DS owners are playing the DS for DS games, not anything else.

I have both and the DS games are better and more innovative. The PSP games are harder to get into because i have a PS2 and we all know that alot of the psp games are ports.

F9zDark
February 22nd, 2007, 18:45
Also you should consider that homebrew mostly means= non PSP things. meaning most of are playing non sony things. its like saying the PSP is better because it can plan old NINTENDO, sega, and arcade games. The DS owners are playing the DS for DS games, not anything else.

In terms of power potential, the PSP is better than the DS. But the DS is more popular. By sheer economics the DS's popularity would ultimately equate to more games sales, regardless if said games are exemplary titles.

However, the advent of custom firmware has allowed PSP users to maintain homebrew ability and play official games. I still use my PSP to play official games when desire takes me.

All in all, the fact that PSP is still around shows to me that its a pretty solid system. I mean look at the other handhelds that came out around the same time as the PSP and DS or after and look at how many are still around.

I am not saying the DS is bad, if it had more games that appealed to me, I might have a reason to get it. But its homebrew scene looks tempting enough to get one. Recently Quake was released for it and that would be really cool if it was compatible online with the PSP and PC versions of Quake, like the PSP version of Quake is. Then again, I know very little of DS homebrew.

ish420ism
February 23rd, 2007, 08:13
Blah Blah Blah.... psp = 2(DS+GBA).
?????HUH?????

xg917
February 28th, 2007, 23:57
psp = n64/ps1/nes/snes/gba/gb and all the rest

ds = kiddie toy. nothing special. obviously sells more because there are a lot of little kids in the world..

PSP > DS

Cloud_35
March 1st, 2007, 04:20
Well that resumes it pretty well.