PDA

View Full Version : Nintendo's web stats soar above rivals'

wraggster
February 20th, 2007, 01:13
What do you do when you can't get a Wii? You stare at pictures of it. Nintendo's hardware shortage has likely encouraged a startling boost in web traffic for the company. According to data from Nielsen & NetRatings, Nintendo.com's unique visitor count reached 2.08 million in January, up 82% from last year's count.

The numbers were enough to trump both PlayStation.com (1.55 million uniques) and Xbox.com (1.5 million uniques) -- and land Nintendo.com in seventh place among the top computer hardware manufacturer sites. Nintendo also recorded the third longest browsing time per visit at 19 minutes and 29 seconds. Despite Nintendo's web growth, Apple.com proved it was still the destination for lustful consumers, recording 43.51 million unique visitors, who averaged 79 minutes and 25 seconds of perusing. It's called the iPhone.

via joystiq (http://www.joystiq.com/2007/02/19/nintendos-web-stats-soar-above-rivals/)

jstush04
February 20th, 2007, 06:23
phuk the iphone. apple's nothing but a sneaky evil empire

alienanthropologist
February 20th, 2007, 07:35
Before the Wii came out, and before I could get hold of it, I became obsessed with browsing the internet to find pictures and news about the Wii.

This just goes to show the incredible ability that the Wii has to capture people's attention. And so it should be!

MaxSMoke
February 20th, 2007, 11:29
The Wii and the iPhone both have something in common; they are both not going to last.

The Wii is a glorified Lightgun with So-So motion sensors that barely work. The games are limited and Ugly. Online play is nonexistent. People are already falling out of love, much I predicted.

The iPhone is a just a regular old PDA phone, much like dozens of other PDA phones before it. Nothing more. It had a large screen, which people will have a hard time not breaking. It has alot of memory, but so do alot of smaller and easier to deal with candy-bar and folding phones. It has a glossy touchscreen interface... BFD.

Both of these products will be on their way out by year's end. Savvy consumers, originally caught up in the Apple Hype, have already learned that they can get much better MP3 players then the iPod could ever be. It won't take too many broken phone screens before the iPhone likewise drops off the map too all but the Apple-Cult Faithful. That's assuming people even pony up in the first place for it's outrageous cost. How many Apple-Cult Members does it take to keep a phone platform from sinking?

And let us not forget the Virtual Boy. The Power Glove. Robby the Robot. All interesting, all lusted over, all Nintendo, all Gone. None of them were good for anything but first party Nintendo games.

I would like to add another destine loser to the pile of future techno-trash... the DS. It's touchscreen is used for almost nothing by 3rd party developers. 1st party Nintendo games carry the platform. How long can Mario be expected to keep the DS's head above water? How long until people get tired of Measuring their Intelligence in pointless mini-games and long for something with a bit more depth? Both the DS and the Wii depend on mini-games to survive. But after eating so many appitizers, people will want something with a bit more substances.

Sony might appear to be on the ropes, but well people with limited vision are betting against them, anyone that's paying attention will releize that they have barely begun to fight. The PSP has a massive collection of amazing games, and some of the best are yet to come. The PS3 might only have a tiny collection now, but that is going to change very fast. And Apple... don't even get me started on their efforts to short change customers.

The era of empty promises and weak hardware is coming to a close. People are getting wise to the hype.

danmiracle
February 20th, 2007, 16:34
The Wii and the iPhone both have something in common; they are both not going to last.

The Wii is a glorified Lightgun with So-So motion sensors that barely work. The games are limited and Ugly. Online play is nonexistent. People are already falling out of love, much I predicted.
o rly?

Er, not sure what Wii you've played and on what set up, but it works perfect for me. The motion sensors seem 99% perfect with my plasma screen and it's the first console i've geniunely enjoyed since the Dreamcast.

Online play will come in time (right now it's focusing on bringing families and friends closer together to play in the same room together; which isn't a bad thing in my book). Once they develop some kind of proper interaction between the DS (biggest selling system in the world at the momenT) and Wii things will take off even further (not to mention all the BIG new games haven't even been released yet).

The Wii is gonna be around for a while yet methinks (especially if the Japanese market has anything to do with it)

mnky
February 20th, 2007, 16:42
o rly?

Er, not sure what Wii you've played and on what set up, but it works perfect for me. The motion sensors seem 99% perfect with my plasma screen and it's the first console i've geniunely enjoyed since the Dreamcast.

Online play will come in time (right now it's focusing on bringing families and friends closer together to play in the same room together; which isn't a bad thing in my book). Once they develop some kind of proper interaction between the DS (biggest selling system in the world at the momenT) and Wii things will take off even further (not to mention all the BIG new games haven't even been released yet).

The Wii is gonna be around for a while yet methinks (especially if the Japanese market has anything to do with it)

If you have a large tv the wiimote works well, if not then its as useful as Madonna's underwear.

jstush04
February 21st, 2007, 01:23

And let us not forget the Virtual Boy. The Power Glove. Robby the Robot. All interesting, all lusted over, all Nintendo, all Gone. None of them were good for anything but first party Nintendo games.

I would like to add another destine loser to the pile of future techno-trash... the DS. It's touchscreen is used for almost nothing by 3rd party developers. 1st party Nintendo games carry the platform. How long can Mario be expected to keep the DS's head above water? How long until people get tired of Measuring their Intelligence in pointless mini-games and long for something with a bit more depth? Both the DS and the Wii depend on mini-games to survive. But after eating so many appitizers, people will want something with a bit more substances.

Sony might appear to be on the ropes, but well people with limited vision are betting against them, anyone that's paying attention will releize that they have barely begun to fight. The PSP has a massive collection of amazing games, and some of the best are yet to come. The PS3 might only have a tiny collection now, but that is going to change very fast. And Apple... don't even get me started on their efforts to short change customers.

The era of empty promises and weak hardware is coming to a close. People are getting wise to the hype.

the wii doesnt have to last that long. They're exploring the market right now, and the market is accepting them (if their billion dollar profit means anything). I can see nintendo incorporating a more-perfected motion sensing to a more powerful system before 5 years is up.

the virtual boy sold about 750K total units. how could a system thats on the way to selling 6 million units in its first 4 months be a loser? software makers are motivated by the amount of hardware out there, after all.... and the DS? techno-trash??
Also, no one's really saying that the PS3's not going to do well, it just got off to a bad start.

I should say that I don't own a wii, ps3, xbox360, ds, or psp. But eventually i'll have enough non-college-tuition money saved up to buy a system, and the wii will be it. I'd say money is a pretty-important factor for me and a lot of people

anyway, i could go on arguing, but it'd be pointless

danmiracle
February 21st, 2007, 09:40
If you have a large tv the wiimote works well, if not then its as useful as Madonna's underwear.
:rofl:

damn, didn't think of it like that (actually it probably would be a nightmare trying to play this on 14" TV!)