PDA

View Full Version : Rumour - PS3 Firmware Check Bypassed!

wraggster
February 20th, 2007, 19:55
A video has been posted claiming that the firmware check for the PS3 has been bypassed and supposedly lets you play PS3 games online with updating your firmware.

Heres the video

http://www.youtube.com/v/1uadqRqW15Q

Instructions via Comments

wraggster
February 20th, 2007, 19:55
Tutorial for PS3 Firmware Bypass in Windows

Here's a simple way to setup your PS3 to bypass the firmware check using a Windows machine as a dns server, its basically the same thing as what Wii users did to use the wii shop as a browser:

1) Download the SimpleDNS software from http://www.simpledns.com/download.aspx

2) Run SimpleDNS (you don't have to reboot despite the installer telling you to..), click on the Records button

3) In the records window, click on Tools > Quick Domain Wizard

4) for domain name enter: ps3.update.playstation.net

for Web server IP enter 67.15.88.46
delete the Secondary DNS name entry, you do not need it

5) Now that you have your new server added, you need to add A Name entries so the ps3 gets redirected on the firmware requests, to do this simply right click and choose New Host Address (A-Record)

6) we need to add two A-Name entries, depending on what region you are in. You can add as many as you'd like if you want to cover your bases though

For the us, we need fus01.ps3.update.playstation.net and dus01.ps3.update.playstation.net

So, In the host address window, enter fus01.ps3.update.playstation.net for Record name, and 67.15.88.46 for IP Address, set the Time To Live to 999 days. Repeat this for dus01.ps3.update.playstation.net

7) your end result should be a setup similiar to this, once done simply close the records window in SimpleDNS so that it is back at the activity window

8) On your playstation 3, go into internet settings and enter manual setup and set your PS3's DNS server entry for the IP of the pc on your lan which is running SimpleDNS, then away you go!

Shrygue
February 20th, 2007, 20:10
The video is rather blurry to see. Still, this is interesting news to hear.

UchihaSasuke
February 20th, 2007, 20:46
Already? Damn that was fast

Ci5tm Konfliqt
February 21st, 2007, 15:20
does this work on all fw versions

Mark30001
February 22nd, 2007, 00:32
Man, anything is possible these days. That's pretty nice! :)

joshisposer
February 22nd, 2007, 01:23
I'm not sure if this is quite useful yet. So far, i haven't heard too much about Sony patching anything to stop from any type of loading. With the "Other OS" i don't really see this coming too much into effect till later.

mavsman4457
February 22nd, 2007, 02:56
Give me some credit wraggy, come on. I posted this first but it's ok. Has anyone tried it yet. I am staying on 1.32 so I guess I'll try it some time soon. It will come in handy when I want to play NBA Street online.

TuRDMaN
February 22nd, 2007, 21:11
I am using firmware version 1.32 as well, and the bypass works perfectly. Although I suggest using Posadis in place of SimpleDNS, since it is free open source software. But either way, it does work.

mavsman4457
March 16th, 2007, 00:20
I just tried it out tonight and I can now happily say that I have started playing NBA Street Homecourt online. The procedure was very straightforward and simple and it only took about 5 minutes but if you wanted it to it could be as quick as a minute or two. NBA Street Homecourt is an incredible game to play online, I love it. I do have one problem though. I tried downloading a demo and it would not start the download, it just stayed at 0%. Is this normal or did I mess something up?