PDA

View Full Version : Wii drought: The facts

wraggster
February 21st, 2007, 18:02
via gamesradar (http://www.gamesradar.com/gb/wii/game/news/article.jsp?sectionId=1006&articleId=2007022111522962068&releaseId=2006022811153671099)

Last October, during an interview with Newsweek's N'Gai Croal, Nintendo of America president Reggie Fils-Aime declared that Wii wouldn't suffer the same, infamous, new game drought that had afflicted previous Ninty consoles. His reasoning was that three giant gaming brands - Zelda, Metroid and Mario - would "continue driving momentum through 2007", and give Wii the support it needed to keep gamers interested.

Back to the present, however, and two of those vital titles are lacking concrete launch dates. Both Metroid Prime 3 and Mario Galaxy - probably the biggest and most anticipated game yet to be released on Wii - look unlikely to appear until Christmas. So with the big hitters out of the action, how exactly does the number of games currently available for Wii compare with the early-doors experience of N64 and GameCube buyers?

Fortunately, Wii is beginning to pick up now, enjoying a more fruitful third month than either previous consoles. Plus a healthy line-up of 17 titles, including SSX Blur, Mario Party 8 and Tiger Woods, is predicted to burst into the shops in March, should each game hit its release date.

But, crucially, only a handful of the games are purpose-built for Wii, employing the console's exciting features - and only a few of those are worth spuffing your cash on. Meanwhile April is looking excruciatingly lean, and there's little hope of a killer game exploding out of nowhere in the coming months.

Wii might not be suffering a severe shortage by Nintendo's previous poor standards, but without the thrills of Mario Galaxy or Metroid Prime 3 to keep that momentum going, a summer videogame drought for Wii is almost certainly on the cards.

mastersho
February 21st, 2007, 19:51
You have a great point there but I think Super Smash Bros Brawl will bring a well needed summer's rain to these drought

masterpaul
February 21st, 2007, 21:29
Metroid Prime 3 will come in June... Mark my words.

cswallstreet
February 21st, 2007, 21:29
I agree with you mastersho. Super Smash is a big title for me as i am a big fan of the series.

basilb
February 21st, 2007, 23:52
as far as i can see there are enough things going for the wii to distract from any supposed to delays to metroid or mario. the idea that nintendo may release a new wii channel (however novel) without any prior warning is always a reason to take it online, as well as checking new vc releases. add to that the possibilities that could become available from updatable VC games(still nothing earth shattering yet) and the wii is still maintaining my interest.
fingers crossed manhunt2 is good.

ICE
February 21st, 2007, 23:53
zelda, trauma center, the godfather, ya waht a drought...

shadowprophet
February 22nd, 2007, 03:12
Articles like these are little more then paid advertisements from the competition.
Notice how it says a drought is coming, A drought is coming! Even though a drought isn't in effect. the article in its entirely is simply a shill to divert possible new prospective wii owners and sway them to some "alternative"

Ohhh Good heavens, This drought is killing me. I think I'll go play some zelda, wario ware. and very soon. some sonic and the secret rings.

I wonder how much money this article made the man who wrote it.

And besides even if the games where coming out a little slowly. Is this not forgivable considering the amount of quality nintendo places into their products. plus the money we save by not being raped at a cash register for an inflated console price.

And on a third and indifferent note. I don't really see high profile titles coming out any faster for any of the other competition as well. Oh yeah, didn't you hear. Droughts effect other consoles too. Not just nintendo. Of course. you wouldn't have heard something like that in a shill article like this.

Shadowblind
February 22nd, 2007, 03:29
I already got bored of Zelda...

Isnt SSBB opted to come out in Dec.?

hp1
February 22nd, 2007, 08:23
Can always count on prophet for a dose of Sarcasm :) Not too mention a dose of reason!

mastersho
February 22nd, 2007, 16:48
I already got bored of Zelda...

Isnt SSBB opted to come out in Dec.?

NO WAY MAN! It's set for a June 1st launch. December, man I think I would lose it!