PDA

View Full Version : Sony 'Very Pleased' with January Sales

wraggster
February 21st, 2007, 21:46
via Gamedaily (http://biz.gamedaily.com/industry/news/?id=15299)

Following the latest video game sales data from the NPD, Sony Computer Entertainment America sent along the following facts and comments about the performance of its PlayStation products in the U.S. during January:

January 2007 was a record month for the PlayStation business with $550M in revenue for North America, this includes hardware and software for PS3, PS2 and PSP, as well as first and third party titles and peripherals. Although we still saw supply constraints at retail for PS3, we did sell a strong 243,554 according to NPD data. Tie ratios for PS3 have improved by 80% since launch and should continue to climb with the release of the much-anticipated MotorStorm from SCEA and Virtua Fighter 5 from Sega. PSP had a very good January, with hardware sales up 20% year over year, selling 210,719. PSP is closing the gap on the leading competitor, off just over 10% in total sales for the month. PSP software sales should see a boost as well this month, with the release of the critically-acclaimed Ratchet & Clank: Size Matters. PS2 hardware sales stood at 299,352 with an impressive increase in software sales year over year of 20%. One of the biggest games for the PS2 will be released this March in the blockbuster God of War 2. On the marketing front, with supply levels stabilizing, February will see the first appearance of PS3 in weekly retailer advertisements. BestBuy featured its first ad for the system on February 18. Target is slated to feature PS3 in its February 25th ad.

"We are pleased with the numbers from January as they demonstrate overall sales improvements for our legacy systems year over year and continued momentum for PS3. With supply levels stabilizing, you can expect to see increased marketing for PS3 and PS2 in weekly retail circulars, which should garner strong numbers, boosted by big software launches, such as MotorStorm and Virtua Fighter 5. PSP sales in January were exceptionally strong with the system quickly closing the gap on the leading competitor. All of this led the PlayStation brand to the biggest January sales in the history of the company in North America."

devdj
February 21st, 2007, 22:11
man the price will have to drop well below 450 euro for premium consoles to even make the mark by the end of the year.

Veskgar
February 21st, 2007, 23:37
Nice to see that the PSP is doing pretty good in sales.

Basil Zero
February 21st, 2007, 23:43
uhhh...this is a good sign of things to come throughout 2007 like i predicted

Welshboy
February 22nd, 2007, 14:04
Do you think the increase in psp sales is due to the fact that popstation is all kicking off? or due to other reasons though?. Or are people finally realising what the psp is capable of?.

gdf
February 22nd, 2007, 14:11
not enough people are aware of homebrew to make a sales increase like that...

Welshboy
February 22nd, 2007, 14:17
It must have had some effect though surely?. There's no mistaking that membership here has increased?. And it must have got around schools etc that you now pay FF7 and MGS along with other classics on your psp.....combined with the 3.03 downgrader?. I mean your right it is quite a big increase in sales, you think the psp can actually start closing the gap on nintendo? at least in Europe and the good ol' US of A?

the_eternal_dark
February 22nd, 2007, 17:59
So they are starting to make a profit, even while the PS3 is losing money per sale?

Good to hear, but I doubt this lasts long.

Basil Zero
March 29th, 2007, 18:45
So they are starting to make a profit, even while the PS3 is losing money per sale?

Good to hear, but I doubt this lasts long.

History repeats 2 months later:thumbup:

Buddy4point0
March 29th, 2007, 20:03
the psp is gettting so much more attention now a days then even when it was first relised

JKKDARK
March 29th, 2007, 23:38
Good for Sony. But Nintendo is kicking Sony ass so badly on this generation. Finally a real video games company is on the top :)

Stone Temple Pilots
March 30th, 2007, 14:37
Good for Sony. But Nintendo is kicking Sony ass so badly on this generation. Finally a real video games company is on the top :)
Are you talking about Nintendo? 'Cos Nintendo (last time I checked) has been at the top pretty much since 1985 or w/e save for the dark years spanning 2000-2006 a.k.a. the Gamecube years! J/k, I love my GCN. Back to the topic at hand, I think this is good news even though it's nearing April month. Go Sony!

JKKDARK
March 30th, 2007, 14:53
In the sixth generation, Nintendo wasn't in the top with the GameCube. Same with the Nintendo 64 ;)

Stone Temple Pilots
March 30th, 2007, 14:57
I know about the GCN, but I'm surprised about the N64 thing. Wow, I thought the system was very good.