PDA

View Full Version : Chankast The Good the Bad and The Ugly

DCEmu_Newsposter
January 1st, 1970, 01:00
Chankast is the emulator of the year a true defining moment in emulation and one that has made history for all sorts of reasons, as a pure emulation fan you can see its a real great emulator, i take my hats off to the authors.[br][br]Hopefully this will bring a lot of new people to the scene when they see what they are missing, the Homebrew scene is the best there is.[br][br]Now the bad side, any emu for any system brings the topic of Piracy and to that end its a shame, hopefully the next release of Chankast will support Homebrew and can be used as a development tool. Id like and encourage all people on the forums to test homebrew for us and see if theres a way to get it working and have a Homebrew Compat list.[br][br]Now the ugly, if your on one side of the fence or the other, i do respect all views but there comes a time when ive had enough.[br][br]So from now all commercial talk about Chankast can go to our hosts forums at Emutalk (http://www.emutalk.net/forumdisplay.php?f=101) [br][br]We still want your Homebrew and Non GDrom compat screenshots in our forums.[br][br]Anyone no matter who they are who breaks the rules will be sorted :)

[Modified 05/31/04 21:08:40 by DCEmu_Newsposter]

wraggster
May 31st, 2004, 20:15
Right now 2 people are on my high warning list and ill ban if one foot is out of place.

Im sorry to all those who came here who are fans of emulation, my friends at emutalk will be better with you.

Those who moaned about chankast being a warez emu hopefully will now test homebrew and so push that side, if those that moaned dont like it then dont post on these forums.

I do understand the points of view good and bad but constant whining and moanng doesnt win anyone over, all its done is piss the very people who run this site off to an extent where we ban.

I never ban willy nilly but well that will change if things carry on.

MetaFox
May 31st, 2004, 20:58
So from now all commercial talk etc about Chankast can go to our hosts forums at Emutalk (http://www.emutalk.net/forumdisplay.php?f=101) You can still use our forums for all Homebrew talk about Chankast.Good for you wraggster. The discussion was turning very warezy, with people talking about the downloaded bios and cracked games. I'm glad to see you're putting your foot down.

wraggster
May 31st, 2004, 21:03
Metafox while you kept your respect with me by making valid points others did not, we were watching the situation all the time and it wasnt our fault chanka didnt play homebrew and well im bitterly disapointed that people spammed my forums to get their point across.

Homebrew discussion is where we go from now :)

But those on my high ban list stay, im sure they know who i mean, i like those people but this isnt any other site and i dont mess about.

saying that have a nice day :P

vipor231
May 31st, 2004, 21:10
yea it stinks when people moan and groan about stupid things now can only talk about homebrew now.thanks to those people cuz it wasnt getting warezy.like i said the emulator is a piece of work and i complament the authors for such a great emu on its first release.but it stinks that people have to think negative all the time.the dreamcast lives on cuz of us.not cuz of warez.

wraggster
May 31st, 2004, 21:24
Yes i agree vipor, the emu itself is a fantastic piece of work, if anyone has any homebrew reports or screenshots id love to see em

MetaFox
May 31st, 2004, 21:29
yea it stinks when people moan and groan about stupid things now can only talk about homebrew now.thanks to those people cuz it wasnt getting warezy.Hey, there are a lot of good homebrew games. True, only Battery is playable on this release, but the authors are going to work to support more homebrew in the next release. My complaint wasn't that the emulator played warezed copies of games - it was that it was the ONLY choice. This is going to be changed in the future due to the fact that more homebrew will be supported, and I'm awaiting that version with open arms.

As for the fact that the discussion was turning warezy - it was - people were discussing bios from regions of Dreamcast's which they don't own, as well as whether the emulator wasn't running their games because they were using cracked versions.

The fact that wraggster has decided to only discuss homebrew is a good one - the discussion can't turn warezy anymore, and we can appreciate the hard work of the coders that are trying their best to keep the Dreamcast alive.

like i said the emulator is a piece of work and i complament the authors for such a great emu on its first release.but it stinks that people have to think negative all the time.Indeed, now that the authors have decided to rework the emulator to support homebrew, and I have made all of my arguments, I will say that I think the emulator is amazing. I didn't think a full speed Dreamcast emulator would be possible on this generation of computers. I'm impressed with the technical aspects of the emulator - and when it supports homebrew, I'll be impressed with the emulator itself as well.

The dreamcast lives on because of us, not because of warez.I like that quote, very well said vipor231. :)

vipor231
May 31st, 2004, 21:36
personally i think the games for dreamcast are far better than ps2.there are hardly any games on dreamcast that stink.with the homebrew scene hopefully we get a even bigger library.i love the streets of rage clone.that is a great game.unfortunally the emulator dont play along with dc anthology vol 1 which is another home brew title which consists of tons of works on one cd.cant get that to work either.hopefully the authors will fix this issue cuz its very strange that it dont run homebrew titles either.

LyonHrt
May 31st, 2004, 22:27
Well everything regarding modifying bios's ripping bios's and ripping anything from dreamcast is now a big neddy no no

Christuserloeser
May 31st, 2004, 23:56
OT: The Good the Bad and The Ugly - great movie that is! :)
There are several Western movies out in which Klaus Kinski plays a little role like *thinks for the English names*

tinku
June 1st, 2004, 19:43
Can i ask what is needed to get this emu running exactly? other that the bios files.

We have tried it with windowz me. 98 and xp and fails to run, it nearly started on an xp machine we got the sega swerl then crashed.

There is a lack of information and documentation which caused a lot of spam on the board.

An Amazing Emulator i must say, and i look forward to seeing some really good homebrew screens when its capable of running them.

As to getting it up and running this is the worst emu i have ever encountered, but hopefully compatability will change allowing more of us to try it out. and give feed back and bug reports.

Cap'n 1time
June 2nd, 2004, 02:19
Can i ask what is needed to get this emu running exactly? other that the bios files.

basicly you need a pretty up to date machine, a decent video card, and the bios. I tested the emulator on a 1.2 athalon and a 1.6 pentium 4, both with decent video cards. I got pretty good results. Anyways the requirments to run this is quite high, and i doubt that it will become much better.

bloodyskies
June 2nd, 2004, 22:47
Chankast is the best first release emulator I've ever seen, and being a homebrew development is a massive achievement for the team. Chanka have proved they can play commercial software, but less in the homebrew space, presumably as it doesn't fully emulate the hardware, so hopefully there will be some major improvements in future.

Given the quality of some of the homebrew on the DC, I for one hope they emulate the hardware to the fullest extent possible.... even if I don't ever manage to figure out how to create a ScummVM image file that runs on it *::)

Astra
June 3rd, 2004, 20:31
Is talking about emulation of Dreamcast commercial games warez ? Of course it is ! Such as talking about emulation of SNES commercial games, Master System commercial games, Pacman, Pong... None of them are in public domain yet as far as I know. Still...

"When I think of games such as Pacman, for which there must be only 4 or 5 original machines left, and that for copyright reasons some wants to prohibit emulation and thus make this game die... [disapproving pout in front of the camera]"

"I'm disgusted ! Elder machines and supports are not as reliable as they used to, if only one can still find some ! I know that I probably lost my first programs on tapes. They had been damaged with the time... ".

Know who does it comes from ? An interview of Frederic Reynal, ex-boss of No Cliché.... a studio which used to be owned 100% by Sega and which made games such as Toy Commander for Dreamcast. And yes, he was speaking about emulation and abandonware.

Now does it works for DC too ? Well, I'll let you make your own opinion, but considering the fact Dreamcast is not selling anymore, nor are games, and no editor now hope to make some money with DC games, I have mine (opinion). Sad to say but commercially, DREAMCAST IS DEAD.

And my opinion is that this warez fuss is truly hypocritical and that this commercial-games-no-no attitude in the DC boards and the DC scene in general is useless and hypocritical.

just my 2 cents worth...