PDA

View Full Version : Wii Invades Retirement Home

gunntims0103
February 22nd, 2007, 20:25
news via dailytech (http://www.dailytech.com/Wii+Invades+Retirement+Home/article6191c.htm)

Nintendo console has officially gone geriatric

http://images.dailytech.com/nimage/3947_large_gerwiiatrics.jpg

Nintendo is off to an incredible start with the Wii. With continued demand and leading sales even after the holiday season, Nintendo couldn’t be happier with the system’s early success. The Wii’s innovative controller design has opened up video gaming to a previously untapped market—non-gamers.

The marketing minds behind Nintendo looked beyond the traditional gamer mediums and advertised its innovations at targets as far from gaming as you can imagine, such as retirees. Nintendo even went against the current and took the Wii to an AARP convention. “The AARP thing was a little bit tough at first. They were like, ‘We don't really want to talk to you because we're all grandparents and we already buy stuff for our kids,’ and so we said, ‘No we want to talk to you about you,’” said Perrin Kaplan, VP Marketing & Corporate Affairs for Nintendo of America. “It took several attempts for them to finally say, ‘So why do you want to talk to us?’ And it's because we have products for them as well now.”

Nintendo’s efforts seemed to have paid off. The Chicago Tribune is reporting that the Wii is now the latest rage at the Sedgebrook retirement community in Lincolnshire, where the average age is 77. In particular, the Wii Bowling component of Wii Sports has members of the retirement community hooked on playing the Wii installed inside the Sedgebrooks’s clubhouse lounge.

“I've never been into video games, but this is addictive,” said 72-year-old Flora Dierbach. “They come in after dinner and play. Sometimes, on Saturday afternoons, their grandkids come play with them … A lot of grandparents are being taught by their grandkids. But, now, some grandparents are instead teaching their grandkids.”

Wii Bowling has become so well received that more than 20 residents signed up to participate in a virtual bowling tournament without the need to leave the clubhouse lounge. Sedgebrook's entertainment committee said that they even have a fan for people to dry their hands before they bowl, just like at a real bowling alley.

Although Wii Sports features cartoon-like graphics and characters—imagery normally aimed at children—the retirees are absolutely taken with the realism offered by the Wii Remote.

“This is pretty realistic. You can even put English on the ball,” said Don Hahn, 76, a veteran of numerous real-life bowling competitions. “I used to play Pac-Man a little bit, but with this you're actually moving around and doing something. You're not just sitting there pushing buttons and getting carpal tunnel.”

feedback via comment

ICE
February 22nd, 2007, 20:42
:rofl: thats fantastic!!

I heart Nintendo
February 23rd, 2007, 00:24
That is awesome!

ICE
February 23rd, 2007, 01:06
i know right?

Demolition49
February 23rd, 2007, 05:27
wii truly does infect people. All ages :)

mastersho
February 23rd, 2007, 18:24
Nice! I wish there wiil be cool systems like the Wii when I get old.

pkmusicmaker
February 23rd, 2007, 22:46
That's a great idea, I bet it'll add years to their lives cause they have more to do than just bingo now.