PDA

View Full Version : Sega Shifting Away from PSP

gunntims0103
February 22nd, 2007, 20:59
news via advancedmn (http://psp.advancedmn.com/article.php?artid=3859)

Not afraid of Nintendo's strong first party sales.

Translated from a Japanese interview with Hideki Okamura, Sega managing director, Sega will be shiftin their focus from PSP to the Nintendo DS.

"We have to do a lot of thinking about titles for Nintendo's hardware, because Nintendo's own titles are extremely strong. It really is difficult to sell a title as a third party. What that means is that we've got to go after it with force: 'heave-ho!'".

Included in the interview is mention of a DS title coming out this year that will "surprise absolutely everyone". More details as they arrive.

lale05
February 22nd, 2007, 21:07
You can get free roms -
-LINK REMOVED-

mod note-

Don't be a idiot and post warez!

JKKDARK
February 22nd, 2007, 22:53
Oh no, now my PSP is useless :( Plus I don't have a DS :(

metalspector
February 22nd, 2007, 23:56
Hahahaha, yes! the psp just took another step towards death, this means the psp can become like a GP2X, a portable with no restrictions cause sony stops updates and more devs will enter the psp scene. Plus once the psp stops releasing titles then people start turning in their psp's and it becomes by time rare to find and can be a collective of game consoles who failed and few have! My posts makes no sense whatsoever but I am really happy the psps dies cause of homebrew and if sony stops making games, theres a penal code that says that after a software stops being sold by any company or made a profit off then it is legal to download it through shareware programs! Legal ISOS!!!! Also Sony almost destroyed Sega, Sega should now affect Sony. Also if sony dies in the videogame market it means they will continue to do cheap and top quality televisions, laptops and cameras, sony were gods of electronics when they weren't in the videogame industry.

JKKDARK
February 23rd, 2007, 00:05
Hahahaha, yes! the psp just took another step towards death, this means the psp can become like a GP2X, a portable with no restrictions cause sony stops updates and more devs will enter the psp scene. Plus once the psp stops releasing titles then people start turning in their psp's and it becomes by time rare to find and can be a collective of game consoles who failed and few have! My posts makes no sense whatsoever but I am really happy the psps dies cause of homebrew and if sony stops making games, theres a penal code that says that after a software stops being sold by any company or made a profit off then it is legal to download it through shareware programs! Legal ISOS!!!! Also Sony almost destroyed Sega, Sega should now affect Sony. Also if sony dies in the videogame market it means they will continue to do cheap and top quality televisions, laptops and cameras, sony were gods of electronics when they weren't in the videogame industry.

Fake. Download commercial games is illegal, even if it's old.

Euro
February 23rd, 2007, 03:51

Are you idiot?... If you don't like PSP why are you here? :confused:

Basil Zero
February 23rd, 2007, 04:31

ummm, dont they still make decent amount of electronics, i dont see a difference in quality from now to what happened more than 10 years ago.

And imo, sony actually revolutionized the gaming industry like nintendo did back in the 1980s(well they resurrected it after atari almost killed the market).

So if it wasnt for sony, big shot titles like FF7, God of War, or DMC may not be what they are today.

and last i checked N64 and PS1 was what killed sega, not just sony's ps1:thumbup:

PS2 and GCN just buried the hatchet:thumbup:

JKKDARK
February 23rd, 2007, 04:57
ummm, dont they still make decent amount of electronics, i dont see a difference in quality from now to what happened more than 10 years ago.

And imo, sony actually revolutionized the gaming industry like nintendo did back in the 1980s(well they resurrected it after atari almost killed the market).

So if it wasnt for sony, big shot titles like FF7, God of War, or DMC may not be what they are today.

and last i checked N64 and PS1 was what killed sega, not just sony's ps1:thumbup:

PS2 and GCN just buried the hatchet:thumbup:

I lol'd a lot :rofl:

Final Fantasy games were since 1987. Even FF7 could be released in Nintendo 64. And then it was made by Square, not Sony (Sony cannot do anything by himself).
And Nintendo 64 didn't do anything for the Saturn commercial failure. The Saturn problems were his 8 proccesors and his short support from Sega. Sega of America president said in the E3 1997: "The Saturn is not our future". Various developers were angry with these news, because they were developing games for a dead system. And this is the reason why Electronic Arts didn't support Saturn in 1998 and for the next Sega consoles.
They relesed the Dreamcast, it was good in the begining but with the bad reputation from the 32X and Saturn and Sony announcing the PlayStation 2, it didn't help to Sega. Even Dreamcast was still very active in 2000 because the price cut in the PlayStation 2 lauch (The Dreamcast price was the half of the PlayStation 2) and the online games (PlayStation 2 didn't go with online games until 2002). An example of online support helping to Sega was the game Sega Sports NFL 2K1; it was the first online sport game on a console to have online mode and then this game sold 410.000 more copies than Madden NFL 2001 for PlayStation 2.
In 2001, with the new consoles announced by Nintendo and Microsoft and the poor sales, Sega decided to leave the console market. But they still released a lot of games in 2001. Support on America and Europe was until 2002. But in Japan, Dreamcast is still supported and we still see new official games released :)

ish420ism
February 23rd, 2007, 06:52
Is SEGA so down on their luck that the're down to one team to make games. What's up with that
P.S. DC user, Go back to the Dreamcast forum. It seems your not welcome.

ish420ism
February 23rd, 2007, 06:56
Nice joke, as if sega even matters

Veskgar
February 23rd, 2007, 07:25
How about instead of stepping away from the PSP, just focus on creating better games. Sonic Rivals was a disappointment to many and its, well, SONIC. Nothing new really. The PSP needs new and exclusive games. If game developers were not so lazy and/or greedy, the PSP could be the best portable and even rise above the Nintendo DS Lite.

Just because we are big into PSP homebrew doesn't mean we should want the PSP to fail. I would like to see more and more quality commercial PSP games released over the next couple years.

As it is now, the PSP has a plentiful library of quality titles. Anyone getting a PSP for the first time has a very nice selection of games to choose from.

I just want more RPG's dammit!

nhlhockey
February 24th, 2007, 02:36
Who cares. Sega pretty much sucks these days anyway. They are has beens.

JKKDARK
February 24th, 2007, 02:43
Who cares. Sega pretty much sucks these days anyway. They are has beens.

who cares? Thanks to Virtua Fighter 5, PS3 had the best selling game of the week