PDA

View Full Version : Wing Commander

gunntims0103
February 23rd, 2007, 16:30
news via hexus (http://gaming.hexus.net/content/item.php?item=7940)

Wing Commander Arena is a fast-paced space combat game where players can team up to attack other teams of ships. The game introduces the classic franchise to an arcade-style experience that allows up to 16 players online in battle at once. Players can propel their customized ship through space, fire torpedoes and unleash deadly gravity bombs as they try to climb the leader board. Online players will compete for Frag count, high score and dueling stats.

“We’re really excited to deliver unparalleled multi-player arcade action,” said Chip Lange, EA Vice President. “The design for Wing Commander will appeal to both long-time fans of the franchise and immediately engage anyone who wants the melee style action of an arcade shooter.”

Wing Commander Arena will feature four styles of play: single player, multi-team, multi-player free for all and multi-player duel. Within the game there are eight game maps that include team maps, free for all maps and dueling maps, so Wing Commander Arena offers a gameplay experience for every Arcade gamer, whether they want a quick ten minutes of action or a longer more immersive game.

Wing Commander Arena is produced and published by Electronic Arts and cooperatively developed with Gaia Industries. This is the second EA title for Xbox LIVE Arcade with EA’s first title Boom Boom Rocket set to launch this Spring.

* Players must have an Xbox LIVE marketplace account to play Wing Commander Arena

screens via comment

BrooksyX
February 23rd, 2007, 23:22
looks cool, I loved the original wing commander for the PC, I might have to try this one too.

Smurph
February 24th, 2007, 06:43
...early in development, EA sought out input from original Wing Commander contributors such as creator Chris Roberts, and since then the company has solicited opinions from the online Wing Commander community, which remains remarkably strong. "We looked at [the space combat] area and said we want to dominate it," said Penney. "There are a lot of titles that haven't lived up to what that space can be. We wanted to innovate there."

http://www.shacknews.com/extras/2007/022307_wingcommander_arena_1.x

Hmmm... Looks like EA is doing something right. I might have to get a 360 for this. I've been craving something of this nature since Starlancer.

While EA still might mess this up, even after involving Chris Roberts, I hope it turns out as good as the ol' Origin games and Starlancer.