PDA

View Full Version : DreamChip V1.0 Alpha - Chip8 Emulator For PSP

Zion
February 23rd, 2007, 15:42
Hi there guys :D

DreamChip is a chip8 emulator ported to the psp by me.

for anyone wondering what a chip8 is look here : CHIP8 wiki (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CHIP-8)

I bet some of you never thought this project would ever get as far as a release :)

I took the initiative to port a Chip8 emulator (unamed) made by TJA of emutalk to the psp.

It uses sdl for input, sound and gfx.

It runs at full speed (i think :p) and compatibility seems good too :)

I have included Some pd roms with the release, although as far as im aware all chip8 games are pd now.

I would like to say a special thanks to Hardhat, who taught me a hell of a lot of sdl and helped me with some stupid mistakes i was making a long the way :)

Due to my psp being briked i would like 1 beta tester for this emu, as i am sure input is working now but have being unable to test it myself.

Enjoy :)

Note : This emulator is currently hardcoded to play a rom named "ROM" in the /rom directionary.... to play another rom just rename it "ROM" and replace the current rom in the folder.

Source code will be released soon, very messy and a few things need changing before source is released.

Cheers

Download and Give Feedback Via Comments

Briggzy11
February 23rd, 2007, 15:45
ill test it now...

Briggzy11
February 23rd, 2007, 15:53
Sorry for the double post

Well it does load so thats ok but the controls dont seem to work and of course the screen is not centered, but considering your PSP doesnt work Zion its a pretty good attempt :)

Can't wait see it improve :)

Baboon
February 23rd, 2007, 16:11
Well I've never heard of a Chip8, but It's always good to have a new emulator on my mem stick. :)

I'll test this later.

Cheers Zion.

gunntims0103
February 23rd, 2007, 16:29
Great work zion :)

Your faster than me, my chips8 emulator is going no where.

Cheers! :D

Paiku
February 23rd, 2007, 16:34
You the man Zion

Hope you get that psp fixed really really soon:p

dejkirkby
February 23rd, 2007, 16:40
Nice Release Zion. Well done bro.

=Trojan=
February 23rd, 2007, 16:59
Nice work Zion

Keep it up

zx-81
February 23rd, 2007, 17:42
Nice work, keep it up :) ! Please to see that you succeed to recover the firmware of your PSP !

Zion
February 23rd, 2007, 17:47
Nice work, keep it up :) ! Please to see that you succeed to recover the firmware of your PSP !

i didnt lol, i coded this without even being able to test it myself lol.

i have only seen a video of my emulator in action :rofl:

DPyro
February 23rd, 2007, 17:49
Wow, I didn't expect this to get off the ground...

Malksta
February 23rd, 2007, 17:55
I'm your tester, biyatch. ;)

D0N
February 23rd, 2007, 17:58
Nice work man! Keep it up! :)

DarthPaul
February 23rd, 2007, 19:01
More emulators woo! The PSP is so freaking awesome. We can play almost any console in it. Thanks Zion.

Briggzy11
February 23rd, 2007, 19:15
Well i did test it first :p well happy see it load at least :)

Zion
February 23rd, 2007, 19:22
after looking over it some more, the only way the controls are going to work (at all? ) is by completly re-writing the input system...

to be honest i think its a fluke that imput even works on the pc version, its a hacky system to say the least....

im doing a bit more sdl research then im going to implement my idea for a clean and well managed control input system :D

jak66
February 24th, 2007, 08:17
testing different games that you provided in the dl, the only one controls worked on was connect4, but even so, it was only left/right movement

scottyboynow
February 24th, 2007, 10:16
I must say you should keep this up, I've never seen a coder so active at one time. I have dug up my old copy of FFX so I'm addicted to it now, so no time for chit-chat now.

Buddy4point0
February 24th, 2007, 14:05
haha man this is nice. and not even being able to test it yourself damn thats nice

Zion
February 24th, 2007, 15:18
input is now working for certain roms, other roms use a different key check system so im going to have to redo the system that isnt working right .

then input will be flawless ;)

scottyboynow
February 24th, 2007, 15:52
Well, it will be even better , I hope that you get a PSP soon aswell, then it will be even better:P.

mr_nick666
February 25th, 2007, 13:21
Nice work Zion ;) It'll be pucker when you sort out the controls :D

Sp3ct0r
February 26th, 2007, 07:30
Nice job. but the chip-8 looks pretty primative so i dont think ill try it.

still nice work though