PDA

View Full Version : More Info on Sonys Questionable Backwards Compatability with Pal PS3s

wraggster
February 24th, 2007, 01:16
via cvg (http://www.computerandvideogames.com/article.php?id=158696)

UPDATE Sony's head of UK PR David Wilson has given CVG the following statement:

"PS one title backward compatibility has not changed and there will be a limited number of PS2 titles compatible - but PS3 is defined by key features such as the CELL broadband engine, its Blu-ray drive, the SIXAXIS Controller and its ability to output full 1080P HD game content which makes it an entertainment system for the future, without equal. Backwards compatibility is important but it does not define the PS3 in the same way as the other features do.

"We have been assessing the extent of backward compatibility, and will continue to do so right up until launch. It is therefore not possible to provide a specific number of backwards compatible titles at this stage. Users will be able to check whether their titles are compatible with PS3 by checking the list of compatible titles at http://faq.eu.playstation.com/bc. This site will be available on March 23 to meet launch day.

"PS one titles remain backwards compatible and we will continue to assess the compatibility of PS2 titles right up until launch. We will continue to offer firmware upgrades to increase the number of titles that are compatible, but rather than concentrate on PS2 backwards compatibility, in the future, company resources will be increasingly focused on developing new games and entertainment features exclusively for PS3, truly taking advantage of this exciting technology.

"Whilst in the longer term these production related cost reductions will enable us to reduce the cost of PS3 to consumers (in the same way we have done with PS2 over its 6 year lifetime to date) SCE has no immediate plans for any price reduction on the platform.

"We will continue to assess the compatibility of existing and new PS2 titles, both first and third party."

opiate81
February 24th, 2007, 01:41
via cvg (http://www.computerandvideogames.com/article.php?id=158696)

"Whilst in the longer term these production related cost reductions will enable us to reduce the cost of PS3 to consumers (in the same way we have done with PS2 over its 6 year lifetime to date) SCE has no immediate plans for any price reduction on the platform.

so basically we will still pay more..
and the added bonus of paying more is
we have to wait longer for an inferior product

why dont they just release the US one here with the power supply changed? if you live in Aus and dont have an NTSC compatible tv then you need to update your tv! most tvs in the last 10 yrs come with NTSC output standard

this really is pathetic! and does this mean that new NTSC US/JAP consoles are going to also get these cost reducing measures?

all I can say is good luck with this next gen Sony
you'll definitely need it

DPyro
February 24th, 2007, 01:46
Move to North America :p

rawfodog
February 24th, 2007, 01:53
screwed once again by Sony

yoshinatsu
February 24th, 2007, 02:12
I live in Europe... NO... I live in Greece...

Hooray! I'll buy my PS3 for 660 euros! Yes, you heard right, that's $870:p
Also, I'm not going to play all of my PSOne and PS2 games, NOOOOOOOO!!! Why would I need 'em?
BECAUSE COOL PS3 GAMES WHICH COST 70 euros each? Yes, you heard right that's $92:p
WHO CARES? I'LL PAY!
Hmmm... Who will we screw this time for the fans kicking our asses with the PS2 and PSP... Hmmm... Well if it isn't Europe! Oh, yeah we forgot 'em! They're ALIVE too! Let's make them pay for what all the others have done! Take out that PS2 chipset... Oh, and keep it the engine at 600 (660 anyone?), don't reduce! OH! Almost forgot! Not $600!!! 600 EUROS!!! THAT'S $790 WHILE IT HAD TO BE 455 EUROS SINCE $600.00 = 455.667 EUROS, AS XE.COM WANT TO BELIEVE! OH!!! YEAH! SORRY IT'S NOT 600 EUROS!!! COME ON! IT'S 599!!!! Hmmm...

This is now joke Sony.
Really, they screwed our asses big time now.
WHAT DO YOU WANT ME TO DO?
BUY A 360? OR A... WIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIII?????? But no, I won't do. From the very beginning, as a true Sony fan(boy if you like flaming), I wanted to buy a PS3. BUT HOW THE HELL AM I GOING TO DO THAT??? WOULD I BE WRONG TO GET THEIR F@#%CKING ASSES KICKED BY FCUKING DON'T BUYING A SINGLE ORIGINAL GAME, A SINGLE OFFICIAL PS3 MAGAZINE, A SINGLE OTHER ACCESSORY OTHER THAN THE CONSOLE ITSELF FOR WHAT THEY'VE DONE TO ME??????? HUUHHH?????? WRONG MOVE SONY!!! WRONG MOVE!!!
I'VE SUPPORTED YOU, I'VE PAID MY BLOOD FOR YOU, I DID NOT BUY FOOD AT SCHOOL IN ORDER NOT TO SPEND MONEY FOR GETTING THE PS3, I GAVE MY SOUL TO BUY A PS2, I'VE BRAINWASHED ALL OF MY FRIENDS TO BUY PS2s AND PSPs AND THEY ALL DID, I SOLD ALL OF MY NINTENDO CONSOLES TO BUY THE PSP AND VOWED TO YOUR WILL, I'VE GOT SCREWED WITH THE PSP WITH THE CONSTANT SECURITY UPDATES AND THE STOP-HOMEBREW STANCE, I WAS WATCHING THE PRE-E3 PRESS CONFERENCE AND I WAS HORRIFIED BY THE PS3, I SAW THE 600 EURO THING AND I SAID "IT'S WORTH THE MONEY AND THE TIME", I WITHSTOOD THE EUROPE DELAY, I DID NOT EXPECT A PRICE-DROP FOR EUROPE, AND THAT"S WHAT I GET!!! THANKS YOU SONY, THANK YOU!!!

mavsman4457
February 24th, 2007, 03:14
Turn caps off. My eyes hurt.

February 24th, 2007, 21:39
Software emulation generally means you can expect graphical enhancement sooner or later, which people have wanted for quite some time.

But wait, SONY IS SCREWING US OH NO

Tree
February 24th, 2007, 22:17
so what we are gettin better graphical but less games that are going to be on it ?

February 24th, 2007, 23:08
so what we are gettin better graphical but less games that are going to be on it ?

I was just speculating about the graphical enhancements, but considering the power of the machine it seems very likely.

Tree
February 25th, 2007, 10:41
I was just speculating about the graphical enhancements, but considering the power of the machine it seems very likely.

cool so if all me PS2 games work on it ... its worth it :D but if somegames dont work on it i might just give them away to some one with my PS2 or sell it

F9zDark
February 25th, 2007, 18:42
Yeah really, how is Europe getting screwed? Those of us in the US are getting screwed really. We have a PS3 with the PS2's chip for backwards compatibility. While intially that helps with playing most PS2 titles, it sucks in the end, when Software updates can add all sorts of improvements to the game, that cannot be had because us in the US and Japan are limited by the fact that our PS3s use the EE to handle PS2 games.

Sony said at the Japan launch about making the move to Software emulation so really, everyone who got screwed are those who bought the PS3s first...

tsurumaru
February 26th, 2007, 01:43
Yeah really, how is Europe getting screwed?

I'm sorry F9zDark but how can you see having the emotion engine chipset in hardware as a disadvantage? You will retain the 99% compatible hardwae emulation option AND have the possibility of a software emulation method but that option may from SONY's own PR team "have limited PS2 compatibility" and "not be the focus of further development".

quzar
February 26th, 2007, 04:28
Yeah really, how is Europe getting screwed? Those of us in the US are getting screwed really. We have a PS3 with the PS2's chip for backwards compatibility. While intially that helps with playing most PS2 titles, it sucks in the end, when Software updates can add all sorts of improvements to the game, that cannot be had because us in the US and Japan are limited by the fact that our PS3s use the EE to handle PS2 games.

Sony said at the Japan launch about making the move to Software emulation so really, everyone who got screwed are those who bought the PS3s first...

Except that with the chip you KNOW you'll be able to play PS2 games whenever, without it, it's only a far off promise. Odds are, you won't ever be able to play every PS2 game in this stripped down PS3, or even PS1 games. I forsee 360 level backwards compatability.

F9zDark
February 26th, 2007, 14:31
The EE will provide better support for games, but Sony said before they were planning on dropping the EE from the PS3 at some point. Some people even complained about getting 'inferior hardware' mingled in with the PS3.

Really people complain too much about the most trivial things. Software emulation is the way to go in the end. Sure software will have its quirks, and bugs and it will be a constant battle getting every game working correctly. But I think ultimately its the wiser decision.

Sucks that Sony decided to drop that bomb NOW of all times. I still firmly believe that Sony should have waited until this time for a worldwide launch. At least they might have had their shit together by this time.

Added:

Actually, come to think of it, Sony should have just stuck with the EE... The big selling point for the PS3 was its complete backwards compatibility and once word gets out of titles not working with software, Sony is gonna be hit by the media hard for that.

Sony has gotten themselves into a real mess.