PDA

View Full Version : Get Off the Bus!

wraggster
February 24th, 2007, 01:39
The battle to keep violent games kept out of public view has moved to Denver. Yesterday, the Parents Television Council and the Campaign for a Commercial-Free Childhood is asking the Regional Transportation District to discontinue advertising of games rated Mature and Adults Only.

Last year, Grand Theft Auto: Vice City Stories was advertised on a number of RTD trains. Though the RTD is not currently housing ads for any M-rated games, its policy allows for future advertising on its buses and trains.

"Our public transportation network serves more than half the residents of Colorado and is doing them a disservice with its tacit approval for the dangerous content in the Mature-rated video games that are advertised throughout the system," said PTC Denver Chapter Director George Robison in a recent RTD board meeting. "I'm here today to remind Chairman Chris Martinez and the board that they have a responsibility to act in the best interest of those who voted you into these important positions. You can take a step towards being a better steward of the public good today by no longer accepting advertising from violent video games that can have long-term harmful effects on the youth in our community,"

"It is unconscionable that RTD would accept advertisements for a game like Grand Theft Auto: Vice City Stories," said CCFC member Peter Simonson. "In Vice City Stories, players are rewarded for killing innocent bystanders, law enforcement officers and rival gang members, as they attempt to set up illicit businesses, such as drug dealing and prostitution rings, and commit armed robbery. As a father and a Denver-area resident, I want to know that my children can ride public trains and buses without being subjected to ads that promote violence and lawlessness."

In November 2006, the CCFC convinced the Massachusetts Bay Transportation Authority to refuse future advertising for M-rated titles. With the ESA recently teaming up with Senators Joe Lieberman and Hillary Clinton, this issue could soon broaden to a larger public policy. The government imposes limitations on public advertisements for alcohol and sexually-explicit content. Videogames could follow.

Supporters of the videogame industry's right to advertise M-rated games in public spaces have cited the acceptance of R-rated movie trailers and posters.

The RTD has not yet made a decision on this issue. It is unknown when a decision will be made.

via ign (http://uk.psp.ign.com/articles/767/767071p1.html)

LilSwish722
February 24th, 2007, 04:36
People like this annoy me. It's a game. Get over it.