PDA

View Full Version : True story.

shadowprophet
February 25th, 2007, 11:23
I wanted to make a post about american history and our proud heritage to make me feel a little better about my country.
After the revolutionary war. I Got to the part about slavery and how we raped murdered and pillaged the native americans. And then I stopped.

I used to think. that the america I was so ashamed of was only the modern america. the commercial/greedy Bush admintration, america. And now that I reflect upon it.
There really isn't much to be proud of in the past american history either.

I'm sad now. Im going to bed. :(

quzar
February 25th, 2007, 11:47
Think of it this way: it's all relative.

Tree
February 25th, 2007, 13:04
I Got to the part about slavery and how we raped murdered and pillaged the native americans. . :(

I do history at school and ive never herd u do this, u would kill them and take there land that there ment to live on, and americans wasnt ment to go on, but that all changed because a indain killed a cow

MasterChafed
February 25th, 2007, 13:49
I feel bad cuz we forced native americans into small resercations, took their land and pretty much destroyed their main food animal (the buffalo). There are hardly any native americans left after what we did to them.

mcvader
February 25th, 2007, 14:29
Can anyone name a country that hasn't raped pillaged and murdered at some point of history?
Theres no point of being ashamed of america, it's human bloody nature and will be repeated untill the end.

mesosade
February 25th, 2007, 15:51
more happens in America due to the whole process of opportunity

VampDude
February 25th, 2007, 16:33

Goodnight then??? :confused: :p

BrooksyX
February 25th, 2007, 18:08
Dang you Dcemu, I just typed a big long thing and got a server error and there is no way I am typing it again.

Anyways World History is way worse than U.S. history, so you can't look at U.S. history and be mad without being twice as mad as what other countries did in the past.

Shadowblind
February 25th, 2007, 19:19
Ya gotta think, no nation has so far been founded on morals and kept them through their history.

Accordion
February 25th, 2007, 19:33
I wanted to make a post about american history and our proud heritage to make me feel a little better about my country.
After the revolutionary war. I Got to the part about slavery and how we raped murdered and pillaged the native americans. And then I stopped.

I used to think. that the america I was so ashamed of was only the modern america. the commercial/greedy Bush admintration, america. And now that I reflect upon it.
There really isn't much to be proud of in the past american history either.

probably wouldnt be using a computer if the slave trade never happened[happens?]

but you could blame it on us Brits !!!
but i suppose if there was no money in the trade, then the empire would not have traded...
US still owes us the money as well...

PAY UP!

scarph
February 25th, 2007, 20:10
Africans enslaved Africans

Accordion
February 25th, 2007, 23:17
Africans enslaved Africans

so what?

a trade existed, thus it was fuelled...[same goes for all]

you cant just shift blame like that. all nations enslave their own.

i blame the british empire, because they[we?] cultivated such trade, and raked in most profit [from the trade, not the effects] which as i pointed out, is still to be delivered!!!

acn010
February 25th, 2007, 23:23
to tell our nature, were worse than animals...........

MasterChafed
March 8th, 2007, 18:56
who the hell gave me negative rep because i wrote down my feelings on thsi subject? They gave me negative rep and then put Like you care.... CRACKER. That pisses me off. I DO ****ING CARE. UR AN ASSHOLE AND YOU OBVIOUSLY DONT CARE.

fg-54
October 6th, 2007, 22:18
lol, sadly, this happened everywhere, in all countries, i am not saying that americans should not take a minute now and then and reflect, but at least that is in the past, we all know better, don't feel like it is your fault cause it is not, America is a great country, that is why everyone is trying to get in and no one is trying to get out.

ps: if it makes you guys feel any better, there was slavery in my country too (Colombia) in fact, there still is! since it is such a poor country, sometimes people just take hobos from the streets and keep them as slaves, even tough that rarely happens, it is a sad thing when it does. :(

scarph
October 6th, 2007, 23:06
whoa i didnt type africans enslaved africans, someone else mustve been on my account

what should i do

Junixx
October 6th, 2007, 23:34
who the hell gave me negative rep because i wrote down my feelings on thsi subject? They gave me negative rep and then put Like you care.... CRACKER. That pisses me off. I DO ****ING CARE. UR AN ASSHOLE AND YOU OBVIOUSLY DONT CARE.

Um.... I thought rep was disabled?

Sonicboy 101
October 6th, 2007, 23:38

It was from March, this is old.

ninja9393
October 6th, 2007, 23:38
this is a old thread

Shadowblind
October 7th, 2007, 01:25
whoa i didnt type africans enslaved africans, someone else mustve been on my account

what should i do

Whether you typed it or not...that doesn't make it any less true. In fact, over 80% of the worlds countries all had slavery. Learning in history class.

scarph
October 7th, 2007, 02:51
my account mustve been taken over. but it doesnt say it when you go to more posts by scarph.

o well either way, my thoughts on the subject.

Slavery has always been, and will always be. The main difference between American slavery and every other slavery, was we of course did it to one race of people.

The Romans for instance took slaves from Persia, Greece, and Africa. They enslaved Greeks because of how educated they were. The slaves were most likely treated very well, and maybe even thought of as equals. It was just their misfortune that they lost in battle.

American slavery was a whole different ball game. We enslaved Africans because we truly believes they were a difference species than us. And why not, they didn't speak any sort of language we knew, they were much different looking, and they were definitely not as intelligent or advanced. I would've most likely been a supporter of slavery in it's earlier days, believing Africans to be not much more than trained monkeys. As we can see in the 16th and 17th centuries, more European countries began to abolish slavery, which in my opinion should've been the turning point in American's minds. We at that point knew that they were perfectly capable human beings. At that point, slavery was an awful and shameful thing.

All things being relative though, we are still providing aid to impoverished Saharan countries, who cannot manage to feed themselves, or prevent widespread epidemic. It really makes you think, maybe Africans really are not capable of taking care of themselves. Without European intervention, Africa would be a complete wasteland. The only decent portion of Africa is on it's coasts; extremely colonized areas. Just makes you think eh?

Shadowblind
October 7th, 2007, 02:56
my account mustve been taken over. but it doesnt say it when you go to more posts by scarph.

o well either way, my thoughts on the subject.

Slavery has always been, and will always be. The main difference between American slavery and every other slavery, was we of course did it to one race of people.

The Romans for instance took slaves from Persia, Greece, and Africa. They enslaved Greeks because of how educated they were. The slaves were most likely treated very well, and maybe even thought of as equals. It was just their misfortune that they lost in battle.

American slavery was a whole different ball game. We enslaved Africans because we truly believes they were a difference species than us. And why not, they didn't speak any sort of language we knew, they were much different looking, and they were definitely not as intelligent or advanced. I would've most likely been a supporter of slavery in it's earlier days, believing Africans to be not much more than trained monkeys. As we can see in the 16th and 17th centuries, more European countries began to abolish slavery, which in my opinion should've been the turning point in American's minds. We at that point knew that they were perfectly capable human beings. At that point, slavery was an awful and shameful thing.

All things being relative though, we are still providing aid to impoverished Saharan countries, who cannot manage to feed themselves, or prevent widespread epidemic. It really makes you think, maybe Africans really are not capable of taking care of themselves. Without European intervention, Africa would be a complete wasteland. The only decent portion of Africa is on it's coasts; extremely colonized areas. Just makes you think eh?
No, Americans enslaved the natives too. Yep, before they enslaved Africans for th plantations. Well, technically the English enslaved the native americans, but they became the Americans.

At the time, most white people lived by Ethnocentrism, the thought that one culture is supperior to another. In fact, what started this idea about the two cultures was human sacrifice. They became so appauled by the African and Native American tradition of human sacrifice that they wrongly viewed themselves as somehow "better" then the other culture.

The only slavery ever to compare to the horrors of the 1800s slavery is the slavery that is taught about infidels in Islam. It was worse....killed who they wanted, when they wanted. Usually by burning, or disembowling. :(

Im learning about this in History this chapter :p

VampDude
October 7th, 2007, 02:58

what should i do

You can start by not moaning, you obviously wrote it and forgot you did.

It was, read the post date!

It was from March, this is old.

Very old!

this is a old thread

A thread that was at least 20-30 pages back (maybe more), so quite old. And from February too!

scarph
October 7th, 2007, 03:00
I'm pretty sure they decided they were better because these other cultures didn't have the latest technology of the European's (guns, steel, boats). And the reason they took them slavery was not because they thought they were better, (even if they did) it was because they wanted free labor.

What history course are you taking if I might ask?

Shadowblind
October 7th, 2007, 03:03
Eh, world history II. Those tech ideas might have contributed, but human sacrifice did much more then I thought it did prior to the lesson. The thought that they were better then them played the largest role. They took them because they wanted the free labor, but they never would have if they thought they were equals. Same with the Spanish explorers. They took advantage of the Natives because they believed they were higher in culture.

Thats a fact.

sourced
October 7th, 2007, 03:05
think of it this way, we have arseholes like George bush doing all these stupid annoying things to cover up the bad things that happened in the past.

"mr president, the number of American casualties in Iraq has increased"

"Heeeee yaaaaaaw! dawg gone it, send more of em' lets kill them teroristtsststss"

Shadowblind
October 7th, 2007, 03:09
Lol, I always stay out of politics, but think of it this way: Anything, ANYTHING that the pres does MUST be first accepted by 2/3s of Congress. 40,00 troops being sent was accepted by Congress too. Politics...

No one is innocent anymore...sigh....whats wrong with the world...

scarph
October 7th, 2007, 03:12
Eh, world history II. Those tech ideas might have contributed, but human sacrifice did much more then I thought it did prior to the lesson. The thought that they were better then them played the largest role. They took them because they wanted the free labor, but they never would have if they thought they were equals. Same with the Spanish explorers. They took advantage of the Natives because they believed they were higher in culture.

Thats a fact.

I really don't think that's a fact at all. In fact as I explained in my earlier post, the Romans took Greek slaves after battles even thought they thought they were extremely intelligent. The thing is, colonists saw a bunch of horses in the new world. They didn't enslave the horses because they thought they were better, they took the horses because they needed to pull their wagons.

(Horses is a metaphor for Indians, or Africans i guess.)

Shadowblind
October 7th, 2007, 03:21
Comparing horses to any human is impossible. Animals and humans are absolutely different things. And...yeah we do. If horses were as smart as we were, then no there wouldn't be horses pulling stuff around unless they were being paid for it.

English aren't Romans.

quzar
October 7th, 2007, 05:52
I really don't think that's a fact at all. In fact as I explained in my earlier post, the Romans took Greek slaves after battles even thought they thought they were extremely intelligent. The thing is, colonists saw a bunch of horses in the new world. They didn't enslave the horses because they thought they were better, they took the horses because they needed to pull their wagons.

(Horses is a metaphor for Indians, or Africans i guess.)

Actually, horses were brought to the new world, and didn't live here prior to the 1500s. As for Roman slavery, it was't just the Romans who took POWs as slaves.

Final note: DON'T BUMP OLD THREADS.