PDA

View Full Version : SCEE Responds to Backward Compatability

wraggster
February 26th, 2007, 21:13
via kotaku (http://kotaku.com/gaming/ps3/scee-responds-to-backward-compatability-239632.php)

Sony blog Three Speech got a chance to talk to Sony Computer Entertainment of Europe about last week's announcement that the PS3 wouldn't be fully backwards compatible.

Despite the fact that the blog is Sony backed, they asked some good questions and got some direct answers including why Europe is paying more for less and how to tell the difference between the gimpy UK and non-gimpy US models. Hit the jump for the short Q&A. Brian Crecente

People weren't expecting this announcement. Surely we have the right to know the number of PAL supported games before the launch?

We have been assessing the extent of backward compatibility, and will continue to do so right up until launch. It is therefore not possible to provide a specific number of backwards compatible titles at this stage, but close to launch consumers will be able to check whether their titles are compatible with PS3 by looking at the list of compatible titles at http://faq.eu.playstation.com/bc. This site will be available on 23rd March to meet launch day.

Does this mean that the PS2 hardware chips have been removed completely and replaced with software-only emulation?

The original PS3 used the Emotion Engine/Graphics Synthesiser to emulate PS2 titles. With the latest European specification we have removed the Emotion Engine, retaining the graphics chip. This has an impact on the number of PS2 titles that will be backwards compatible.

If this is a business decision to save cost, why are users left to bear the burden, having to purchase a system inferior to those sold in the US and Japan at a higher price?

The PS3 launching in Europe is every bit as powerful as the PS3s available currently in North America and Japan. PS3 is defined by key features such as the CELL broadband engine, its Blu-ray drive, the SIXAXIS Controller and its ability to output full 1080P HD game content which makes it an entertainment system for the future, without equal.

PS one titles remain backwards compatible and we will continue to assess the compatibility of PS2 titles right up until launch We will continue to offer firmware upgrades to increase the number of titles that are compatible, but rather than concentrate on PS2 backwards compatibility, in the future, company resources will be increasingly focused on developing new games and entertainment features exclusively for PS3, truly taking advantage of this exciting technology.

How will consumers be able to tell the difference between the fully compatible launch model available in America and Japan and the new degraded model?

On the external packaging of the PS3 there will be a small 'PAL' logo to denote that the PS3 is built for the European market (North American and Japanese models have a 'NTSC' logo). The model number will also appear on the label stuck to the top flap of the PS3 packaging (beginning CECHC followed by two digits - see below).

In addition, each PS3 carries a barcode and serial number on the back of the system. At the end of the unique serial number for each console is the model number. In the SCEE territories there are four model numbers:

Europe: CECHC04
UK and Ireland: CECHC03
Australia/New Zealand: CECHC02
Russia/India: CECHC08

Will the new updated hardware version improve the quality of the images of PS2 games on the PS3, as the current crop have been highly criticised?

This has already been achieved by a firmware upgrade, which will be incorporated in European launch models.

DPyro
February 26th, 2007, 21:26
I don't see why everyone is bitching about this, the emulation through software is much better than that of hardware.

http://img442.imageshack.us/img442/4891/highres2in9hj5.th.jpg (http://img442.imageshack.us/my.php?image=highres2in9hj5.jpg)

tsurumaru
February 26th, 2007, 21:55
I don't see why everyone is bitching about this, the emulation through software is much better than that of hardware.

Lets just wait and see the BC list shall we. Software emulations usually only better than running the games natively when you have a large project devoted to it. I've bolded the parts you seem to be willing to ignore.

The original PS3 used the Emotion Engine/Graphics Synthesiser to emulate PS2 titles. With the latest European specification we have removed the Emotion Engine, retaining the graphics chip. This has an impact on the number of PS2 titles that will be backwards compatible.

PS one titles remain backwards compatible and we will continue to assess the compatibility of PS2 titles right up until launch We will continue to offer firmware upgrades to increase the number of titles that are compatible, but rather than concentrate on PS2 backwards compatibility, in the future, company resources will be increasingly focused on developing new games and entertainment features exclusively for PS3, truly taking advantage of this exciting technology.

jerrt
February 26th, 2007, 22:02
the only reason they are bitching is because sony hasn't said what percentage of the catalog will not be supported. also, their comment about not focusing on raising the number greatly has people scared. i think good things will come of it, but only time will tell. the real question is will the people like myself who have a relase ps3 have the option to switch between hardware emulation and software emulation in a future firmware release. i'd rather have hardware or both then being forced to use software unless they get it on par with the hardware emulation. also is it even possible to switch to software emulation on the first release consoles? again, sadly, only time will tell and they better not screw me over. my dedication to the sony name is starting to wear thin. don't get me wrong, i still love you sony, but everyone has a limit, and untill you put me on the payroll [hint, hint] my limit can be reached.

DPyro
February 26th, 2007, 22:34
The new update will improve the graphics for PS2 games (see the attachment from previous post). Obviously Sony will continue to improve BC for PS2 titles. It's not like their gonna remove the chip and say, ok thats it, we don't care about PS2 games for PS3.

yoshinatsu
February 26th, 2007, 22:39
Will the new updated hardware version improve the quality of the images of PS2 games on the PS3, as the current crop have been highly criticised?

I hope so.
But when they say dramatically does it mean from 98% to 90% (because the PS2 library is ENORMOUS, so 8% is enough be noted as "dramatical" decrease) or 50%? Or... below?:(

But it'll be fine with me if it's 70+%. I don't care for some minor Japanese games that Sony doesn't even know how they're called (oh, yes there are :p). Although a "LIST" does not sound good to me... Because it sounds like "The games that won't work will be MORE than those which will work.:confused: "
It would have been better if it was "There will be a list for non-working games".
So that mean it will be LESS than 50%???

Tree
February 26th, 2007, 22:47
The new update will improve the graphics for PS2 games (see the attachment from previous post). Obviously Sony will continue to improve BC for PS2 titles. It's not like their gonna remove the chip and say, ok thats it, we don't care about PS2 games for PS3.

100% true nd people who be goin 2 the XBOX nd WII if they started doing things like that

tsurumaru
February 27th, 2007, 00:07

You're slightly incorrect, they actually refer to the previously released firmware update for ntsc PS3's if you read it carefullly. (The firmware update that reduced jaggies on the PS2 titles by implementing a software bilinear filtering process).

F9zDark
February 27th, 2007, 00:54
As long as Sony keeps PS2 compatibility high, then I see no reason for anyone to bitch. As I have said numerous times, people complained about getting the EE forced upon us when Sony SHOULD have had software emulation down. Now people are complaining about the opposite.

Yes the EE allows for a much larger range of titles to be supported early on, but so long as Sony keeps at getting PS2 games onto the PS3 then software is the better way to go. Imagine Cell powered PS2 games.

Thats not possible with the EE...

briyan
February 27th, 2007, 13:37
why bother with PS2 games, playing on a PS3? i have a PS2 and i'm sure a ton of mates in the UK have one too..why not just play ye olde games on the PS2, it plays PS1 and PS2 games anyways..just get a HD A/V selector, plug in all your consoles and switch to which console you need to play in. it's that simple.

ketchup
February 27th, 2007, 14:40
If this is a business decision to save cost, why are users left to bear the burden, having to purchase a system inferior to those sold in the US and Japan at a higher price?

The PS3 launching in Europe is every bit as powerful as the PS3s available currently in North America and Japan. PS3 is defined by key features such as the CELL broadband engine, its Blu-ray drive, the SIXAXIS Controller and its ability to output full 1080P HD game content which makes it an entertainment system for the future, without equal.

Er! Every bit as powerful? How about "NO IT'S NOT" anymore? Note also how the "more expensive in Europe" part was avoided. Just like true BS'ing politicians. The consol may still be good but I really hate SONY at the moment. It's our own fault though. apparently the Americans and Japs refuse to pay that much so they don't. Us Euro mugs will just pay up anyway and that's why we continually get ripped off. Arggghhhhh!!!!

slappy1
February 27th, 2007, 16:16
Er! Every bit as powerful? How about "NO IT'S NOT" anymore? Note also how the "more expensive in Europe" part was avoided. Just like true BS'ing politicians. The consol may still be good but I really hate SONY at the moment. It's our own fault though. apparently the Americans and Japs refuse to pay that much so they don't. Us Euro mugs will just pay up anyway and that's why we continually get ripped off. Arggghhhhh!!!!

100% True.

Being an American, I can tell you that PS3s collect dust on the store shelfs, every once in a while you'll see a 360, and you never see a Wii.

I bought a PS3 on launch and sold it for $1,500 USD. I currently own a Wii, but hardly ever play it. My bro owns a 360 and I go over to his place to play Gears of War and Street Fighter Online.

People don't just drop $600 on a game system here.