PDA

View Full Version : Jack Thompson Targets Manhunt 2

wraggster
February 26th, 2007, 21:42
via tvg (http://www.totalvideogames.com/news/Jack_Thompson_Targets_Manhunt_2_11327_6441_0.htm)

Rockstar must have surely known that it wouldn't take too long after the announcement of Manhunt 2 before a certain Miami lawyer began sniffing around. After a campaign of negativity bordering on hatred towards Rockstar Games, an "alleged" post on a Manhunt forum from the man himself claims:

"Miami attorney and anti-violent video game activist Jack Thompson has been asked by individuals in the United Kingdom to help stop the distribution of Take-Two / Rockstar's hyperviolent video game Manhunt 2 in that country due out this summer. The game will feature stealth murder and torture. The last version allowed suffocation of victims with plastic bags.

The original Manhunt was responsible for the bludgeoning death of a British youth by his friend who obsessively played the game. The killer used a hammer just as in the game he played. Take-Two / Rockstar, anticipating the firestorm of criticism with the release of the murder simulator sequel, is lying to the public on both sides of the pond in stating this week that the game had nothing to do with the murder.

Take-Two is also stating that the sun does not rise in the east because Take-Two makes no money from its rising in the east. Take-Two has been repeatedly found in the U.S. by the federal government to be guilty of fraud, so what would one expect it to say.

Jack Thompson has agreed to this request from the U.K. Look for this effort to begin shortly given the summer of 2007 release date."

Of course, the original Manhunt was at the centre of a dispute in the UK, linked to the murder of Stefan Pakeerah, by his friend Warren LeBlanc in 2004. Despite calls from conservative media publications and the game being pulled from high street retailers, the police denied that any link existed and it eventually was discovered that the victim was the owner of the game.

Expect further details and controversy to appear shortly.

Hawq
February 26th, 2007, 21:54
The original Manhunt was responsible for the bludgeoning death of a British youth by his friend who obsessively played the game. The killer used a hammer just as in the game he played. Take-Two / Rockstar, anticipating the firestorm of criticism with the release of the murder simulator sequel, is lying to the public on both sides of the pond in stating this week that the game had nothing to do with the murder.
Nice to see they did their research, especially as the police found that it was an outstanding debt that led to the killing and the game had nothing to do with it at all or are Jack & co saying the police lied?

Demolition49
February 27th, 2007, 05:13
I think its stupid, there is an age rating there for a reason, we see people watch movies that are worse than that, dont people watch horrors? I dont see any horror movies getting pulled from the cinemas... if you dont like your children playing it, dont buy it for them, thats it simple. If they are 18/21 they are old enough to choose it for themselves. Obsessive watching of other gorry content could have the ame effect. I just dont think the reason is just.

Predator
February 27th, 2007, 19:20
Does war not make people violent? What a moron!

This guy needs a bullet in his HEAD!!

mastersho
February 27th, 2007, 21:07
Ummmm.... it's just a game people. relax, if you dont like the game dont play or watch someone play it. they just want something to cry about when they have nothing to do at their stupid, dumb, boring jobs.

Shilo
February 28th, 2007, 00:59
The game will feature stealth murder and torture. The last version allowed suffocation of victims with plastic bags.

Sounds like fun to me :D It's just a game. I've never played that made me want to do whats in it. All though, when I play Mario I want to jump on a turtle, but thats different.

mastersho
March 27th, 2007, 19:31
I'll be buying it for sure!