PDA

View Full Version : Screen Brightness Issues

wraggster
February 27th, 2007, 00:33
Fanjita posted this news over at noobz (http://www.noobz.eu/joomla/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=45&Itemid=1)

After using the downgrader, some people have had problems with their screen brightness. This article explains why, and what you can do about it.

The problem seems to occur only for recent TA-082 / TA-086 PSPs, that came originally with firmware 2.71 or later.

The problem is that Sony changed the display hardware in some of the recent PSPs, and the firmware needs to be aware of how to handle that.

This means that if you run a lower firmware than v2.71, then the display isn't given the right brightness signals. Where normally you would see a bright screen, and it would go dark after a while of not pressing any keys, now it is normally dark, and goes bright if you don't press anything for a couple of minutes.

The best fix is obviously to install a firmware that can control the display correctly. Fortunately the OE firmwares, e.g. 3.10 OE, will do this. The only drawback is that, when running homebrew in the 1.5 kernel mode, you will get the old screen behaviour. But you should be able to work around this by pressing the 'screen' button a few times.

It's also possible, for advanced users, to make a hybrid firmware that will use the later screenhandling code in the 1.50 kernel mode of OE.

V3N0M
February 27th, 2007, 00:48
I'm glad to see that Fanjita brought some light to this subject. I've downgraded many PSP's for friends, family, ect. and noticed that this issue only occurred on TA-082 PSP's under the same circumstances as Fanjita specified. Anyways hopefully this issue will be resolved through custom firmware in the future.

xg917
February 27th, 2007, 01:29
i was wondering y my psp was ticking me off. my first psp didnt do that wen i downgraded because i bought it as 2.60. so i guess only 2.71 and over have these screen problems when downgraded

pt9087
February 27th, 2007, 01:33
Not here, i have never come across this before and i have downgraded about 5 TA-082 PSPs.

aries2k4
February 27th, 2007, 01:39
Ya, I´ve read a few posts about this happening. Had no idea why that would happen. I´ve only downgraded Ta-081 so never happened to me.
Thanks Noobz for the info

IM back!
February 27th, 2007, 03:06
won't happen to me. i still have a good old relise date psp (my 3rd)

Balthasar00
February 27th, 2007, 03:06
I bought a TA-082 with 2.71 firmware (bundle dogstown + MTV motocross) I don't have the problem descriped when I use homebrews of the game150 folder. ;D

Buddy4point0
February 27th, 2007, 03:42
good thing i brought my not ta82 at 1.5

jwilds73
February 27th, 2007, 03:44
I've done two TA-082 boards for friends and both have this same behavior. It's minor hopefully they will make a patch to put the newer firmware brightness controls in the 1.50 subset on the TA-082 boards

Sp3ct0r
February 27th, 2007, 04:54
lol if the screen kept doin that, the only thing u could do is watch movies.