PDA

View Full Version : Interview with Fanjita on BBC World Service!

Cloudhunter
February 27th, 2007, 11:12
via BBC (www.bbc.co.uk)

Fanjita of the noobz (www.noobz.eu) team has had an interview on BBC World service radio.

Listen to it here: Hacker teams unlock PSP (http://www.bbc.co.uk/mediaselector/check/player/nol/newsid_6400000/newsid_6400000?redirect=6400093.stm&news=1&bbram=1&nbram=1&nbwm=1&bbwm=1) or a link to an MP3 here. (http://www.lostnovice.com/fanjitainterview.mp3)

If you don't want to listen to it, I took the liberty of writing a transcript for it:

Presenter: Computer hackers have appeared to have scored a strike in the battle against the industry giants. They’ve found a way to unlock Sony’s handheld games console, the playstation portable, or PSP. The PSP is sold with its own built-in software which is known as firmware. This controls how the console operates. The firmware “locks” many of the PSP’s capabilities so that enthusiasts can’t write their own programs for it. It also prevents the PSP from running pirated games or films. But now, inevitably you might say, hackers have found a way round the locks and controls. David Court, (Fanjita) professional programmer, part time hacker is among those who’ve unlocked the PSP. He joins us now from Edinburgh in Scotland. David Court, why did you want to do it?

Fanjita: Well it’s quite simple. We were just frustrated by the fact that having bought this 200 pounds console, it wasn’t possible to do what we wanted with it.

Presenter: But one of the reasons that these sort of limits are put on is to stop piracy, it’s to make sure that you only run games that are legitimately bought and paid for, for instance.

Fanjita: Indeed and that is a very important thing to bear in mind. The aim here was definitely not to allow piracy of software. Working as a professional programmer myself, piracy is a thing that is quite dear to my heart. If I was to go around pirating software, then I’m going round pirating from my colleagues.

Presenter: So you don’t see yourself as some sort of modern day digital pirate then?

Fanjita: Absolutely not, absolutely not. The aim here was just to enable running of legitimate and personally developed software that would basically unlock the capabilities of the machine.

Presenter: But hang on a minute, this is a machine that Sony have designed and invested lots of money into, don’t they have the right to restrict what you can and can’t on it?

Fanjita: I don’t believe they have the right to restrict what you can do with a piece of equipment that you bought outright. If it was rented from them, then fair enough. But the fact that I’ve paid 200 pounds for a piece of electrical equipment that I then can only do what they tell me to do, that to me is frustrating.

Presenter: But what’s the difference between that and the sort of agreements you sign when you buy a bit of software.

Fanjita: Well, I think that’s the key difference, where’s the agreement, on the actual hardware? If there was an agreement like that, would people agree?

Presenter: So, you’ve got this machine, you’ve unlocked it, what is it that you are now going to be able to do what the rest of us who have got them in their plain ordinary form can’t do?

Fanjita: Well there is a whole wealth of things. It opens it up to this sort of “bedroom” industry of people churning out games, and all sorts of other creative things that they otherwise would not be allowed to do.

Presenter: But why not use a computer then, because the PSP doesn’t even have a keyboard?

Fanjita: That’s correct, but then again, most computers aren’t as portable. If you are sitting on a bus, it’s nice to be able to pop this thing out of your pocket and just play a simple game on it or something. More than that of course, there’s all sorts of other exciting applications that are opened up. For instance, there’s a guy that has written what’s effectively a Sat-Nav application for the PSP, that was something that was promised by Sony from the first day of the PSP. It took them about two years to come out with this thing, this guy beat them by about a year.

Presenter: But I guess this is a bit like all the arguments that go on about the free software that you can, or can’t download from the web. It’s sort of about people’s intellectual property rights and sort of about what people can and can’t do with something they’ve bought. There are going to be fights like this over and over again aren’t there?

Fanjita: Sure, sure, and I think it’s important for the industry to realize that restraining people in this sort of way, is something that they are going to object to.

Presenter: Ok. David Court, Professional programmer, thanks very much indeed.

Discuss via comments

goaliedude
February 27th, 2007, 12:36
Go Hackers!

aries2k4
February 27th, 2007, 12:48
Way to go Fanjita. Telling it like it is.

GreenMachine
February 27th, 2007, 12:51
Way to Go!

I've been smiling a way whilst reading this BBC article..
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/technology/6397797.stm

The-KMT
February 27th, 2007, 13:21
Is there any way to READ it ??

guardiansnowman
February 27th, 2007, 13:22
Go Fanjita! when i first read this i was laughing ans smiling for ages. i couldnt believe it. And another thing i cant believe is the fact he lives in edinburgh! i wonder where about???

Keep up the good work!

IamAbe
February 27th, 2007, 13:59
good to hear we can at least stand up for ourselves. well said fanjita!

(my 150th post :D)

sony.1991
February 27th, 2007, 14:09
He mentions Map This in there. Go Homebrewers and go DCemu screw authorities.

jordanblack68
February 27th, 2007, 15:09
nice i can read it.

wow 1st forum i joined was this one and i only did 6 posts a year

mikebeaver
February 27th, 2007, 15:10
Great to see the mainstream press are giving this a proper debate now, and thanks for the transcript cloudhunter, makes it even easier to digest :)

Veskgar
February 27th, 2007, 17:23
Thanks for the transcript. I really found the presenter very annoying. They could have at least put someone with some sort of technical know-how to make for a more entertaining interview.

I guess this is what we get when homebrew goes mainstream. Most people still do not really know about homebrew and the true potential it allows the PSP.

Fanjita was the highlight of the interview and spoke like a true professional in defense of peoples rights to do as they wish with hardware they pay for in full.

Triv1um
February 27th, 2007, 17:32
That reporter seem like abit of a bully, but Fanjita took it all very well, and answered with good answers.

Great job.

cal360
February 27th, 2007, 18:10
The presenter seemed quite biased against homebrew

shak bo
February 27th, 2007, 18:23
When the presenter asked what can a modded PSP do that a stock PSP can't I almost fell out of my chair. Preceeding my response would have been a torrential outpouring of laughter. Keep on keepin' on Fanjita.

shak bo
February 27th, 2007, 18:25
Go Fanjita! when i first read this i was laughing ans smiling for ages. i couldnt believe it. And another thing i cant believe is the fact he lives in edinburgh! i wonder where about???

Keep up the good work!
Even more: Dark Alex is a student from Spain!!!! named Alejandro. Who knew?

Shrygue
February 27th, 2007, 18:27
Whoa, Fanjita interviewed by BBC World Service? That's shocking news to hear!

DarthPaul
February 27th, 2007, 20:15
Lol. I like the guy that said "screw authorities". Ahaha, I don't know what the hell is happening here. If this is legal or not,there are a lot of things more important and dangerous that people are doing and the government and laws should care about. Go and fight against the drug-dealers,the murderers,the politicians,the sexual violators and all of that people and leave us alone! Leave us enjoying our PSP's in our rooms. We're not affecting people like the kind of people I mentioned are... These are just some hackers proving their skills and having fun. If Sony doesn't like it...then why did they release UMD's and not Cart-Ridges or any other thing harder to Rip? Or maybe another PSP hardware...It's too late. They should think about this before they released the PSP.

Buddy4point0
February 27th, 2007, 20:20
ha im gonna listen to this now
its awsome the homebrew community is getting ths kind of attention

StealthCP
February 27th, 2007, 20:31
Very interesting, and well spoken, Fanjita, I must thank you :) Since you're inception into this community you've been quite an asset. However, you seemed to be quite nervous, as I would be, hehe I can't complain! It doesn't sound bad now, however I'll send you a video of the presentation I gave in 4 different schools about the possibilities of homebrew PSPs (motto was "There is something for everyone", which is quite true, imo)

However, you cracked the code, you got on the radio, so you get the credit :D You're a real person, and great to imagine you as Scottish - must be the funniest, most 'dead-on' people you can find in the UK ;)

Camelot
February 27th, 2007, 23:03
However, you seemed to be quite nervous, as I would be

He did say on his site that he was recovering from the flue so that could be the reason his voice sounds weird. Though I do agree that I would be nervous about doing something of this importance also.

Buddy4point0
February 28th, 2007, 00:02
Very interesting, and well spoken, Fanjita, I must thank you :) Since you're inception into this community you've been quite an asset. However, you seemed to be quite nervous, as I would be, hehe I can't complain! It doesn't sound bad now, however I'll send you a video of the presentation I gave in 4 different schools about the possibilities of homebrew PSPs (motto was "There is something for everyone", which is quite true, imo)

However, you cracked the code, you got on the radio, so you get the credit :D You're a real person, and great to imagine you as Scottish - must be the funniest, most 'dead-on' people you can find in the UK ;)

dude some to my school that would frikin rock

gunntims0103
February 28th, 2007, 00:27
PSP hackers are definitly getting alot of attention. Its great that others acknologing PSP homebrew and the wonders you can do with the PSP once you have it "unlocked".

I hope to actually read a artical where Sony themselfs acknologe PSP homebrew. Open there thoughts on what has happened so far.

Sony, i believe definitly wants to keep PSP homebrew as there "dirty" little secret. Hiding our skeloton in there closet............

krazyx86
February 28th, 2007, 02:49
It's also great to see how professional and intellectual Fanjita, and the rest of the hacker teams are. At least the mainstream and people that don't know much, don't just think that all hackers are pimple-faced nerds sitting in their basement being greedy and wanting everything for free.

Congrats and Great job BBC and more importantly, Fanjita.

AvengedSevenfold Fan
February 28th, 2007, 03:22
I'm so glad that we are getting this attention. I want them to interview Dark_AleX. The only problem is, is that there actually is an agreement in the system update that you will not reverse engineer the software. but hey, w/e