PDA

View Full Version : Introducing the Wii U's best drinking game

wraggster
April 9th, 2013, 00:12
Context matters. Out of context I can say that one of my fondest memories of this past GDC involves giving orders to a blindfolded woman crawling on all fours. Despite what you might think, this transpires on the GDC Play showfloor as part of the Danish and Swedish collaborative experimental Wii U party game, Spin the Bottle, "an innocent game for innocent children."Despite the risque title and light roleplay, KnapNok's Spin the Bottle is a surprisingly wholesome affair. Players spin a virtual wheel on the Wii U GamePad to determine what peculiar motion controlled challenges they'll have to embark on with a partner. No TV is ever used. The mini-game in question above is called Blind Dog, and it requires me to sit down and stand a Wiimote up behind me while ordering my blindfolded partner - chosen by wheel spinning - to crawl forth and retrieve the controller without knocking it over. It's much less creepy than it sounds.When I first encounter Spin the Bottle I regrettably only have a few minutes to see it before I have to split for a panel. This is the game's last day on the floor and upon trying to work out if I'll have another chance to see it, developer KnapNok's co-founder Dajana Dimovska invites me to get more time with it at a small private shindig called the Official Independent Drinking Games Summit. A game about personal interactions, drinking, and physical contact seems ill-fit for a crowded drab grey showfloor where everyone's hustlin' and bustlin' to get to where they need to go, so I take Dimovka up on her offer and wind up partying with the Copenhagen Game Collective.In case you've not heard of the Copenhagen Game Collective (or CGC for short), it's the band of indie developers that produced such experimental screenless folk games as Johann Sebastian Joust, B.U.T.T.O.N. and Darkroom Sex Game. All these titles focus on local multiplayer and physical play.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2013-04-05-spin-the-bottle-preview-the-wii-us-best-drinking-game