PDA

View Full Version : The rise of the handheld console - PSP Vs DS

wraggster
February 27th, 2007, 20:01
Via BBC News (http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/technology/6387551.stm)

Back in 2003 Sony's Ken Kutaragi, "the father of the Play Station", made a bold prediction.
Announcing Sony's plans to enter the portable gaming market, he claimed the PlayStation Portable (PSP) would become "the Walkman for the 21st Century".

At that time conventional wisdom dictated that any attempt to break into the handheld market, dominated for so long by Nintendo, was doomed to failure.

To suggest that Sony's console would not only make an impact on the market, but also match the success of the 1980s cultural icon that was the Walkman seemed to argue a self-confidence bordering on arrogance.

After all, Sony shipped more than 50m Walkman units in the first ten years of production, reaching a total of 150m units produced by 1995.

The name Walkman has even joined that select group of brands like Hoover and Xerox whose name defines the product.

So four years down the line has the PSP lived up to "Papa" Kutaragi's prediction? Has it succeeded in breaking Nintendo's apparently unshakeable hold on the market?

Market domination

Since its release the PSP has seen steady growth with global shipments increasing from just over half a million units in 2004 to a total of 24.7m units by the end of 2006.

Impressive figures, but still not enough to reverse Nintendo's market dominance.

Nintendo has shipped more than 35m units of the DS and DS Lite consoles worldwide since launching in 2004, smashing European records for console sales on the way.

PSP AND DS SPECIFICATIONS
SONY PSP
Features: MP3 and video playback, web browser
Processor: 333MHz MIPS R4200
Memory: 32 MB
Connectivity: 100ft (30metres) local range, Wi-Fi

NINTENDO DS
Features: Touch screen, embedded chat software
Processor: One ARM9 and one ARM7
Memory: 4MB
Connectivity: 100ft (30metres) local range, Wi-Fi

So why has the mighty PSP failed to overtake its less powerful rival?

Margaret Robertson, editor of Edge gaming magazine, believes that one factor could be that the sheer power and versatility of the PSP caused more confusion than Sony expected when it first launched.

"Sony thought it was a straightforward and compelling offer of a gadget that can do music, videos, films and gaming," she says.

"But the problem with that is that consumers either fell into a category where they didn't really want all of that or they were technologically savvy enough to have commitments to other mediums, particularly memory formats."

Sony was not alone in finding the early market reluctant to embrace a new console; Nintendo also had problems when it first unveiled the DS.

"It wasn't a great-looking gadget," said Ms Robertson.

"In the West nobody was quite sure what the DS was trading on for its first year. It didn't seem to be trading on that Nintendo nostalgia feeling for the core fans."

Shock of the new

Consumers familiar with Nintendo's classic games were initially wary of the new and unknown aspects of the DS: the touch-screen game-play, the unconventional games.

But in the last two years prices have fallen and gamers have adapted to new concepts.

Games like Nintendogs have boosted sales of the DS console

DS owners in particular have embraced new genres of games that seemed unlikely to succeed when they first appeared.

The popularity of Nintendo's so-called Touch! Generations games such as Dr Kawashima's Brain Training and Nintendogs are cited by Nintendo's European Marketing Director Laurent Fischer as the major factor in driving console sales.

Paul Jackson, Director General of the UK's Entertainment and Leisure Software Publishers' Association (Elspa), suggests that the wide appeal of handheld games on all platforms has broadened the gaming demographic, making handheld consoles the UK's biggest selling hardware systems of 2006.

"Many people who would perhaps not have considered gaming have got involved," says Mr Jackson.

"And many people who are passionate have been able to change the way they game within a more social context."

PSP games are also overcoming initial difficulties.

While early PSP titles may have once been viewed by some as the poor relations of successful Play Station 2 (PS2) franchises more recent releases such as GTA: Liberty City Stories have been strong enough to cross back over to PS2.

More than a game

So where next for portable devices?

Sony's vision for the PSP is based on connectivity and integration with the PlayStation 3 (PS3).

Sony Computer Entertainment Europe spokesman Jonathan Fargher says the PSP will come into its own when connected wirelessly to the PS3.

Some commentators criticised the Nintendo DS's looks

The Remote Play functionality in PSP and PS3 currently allows the PSP user to wirelessly access pictures, videos and audio content stored on the PS3 up to a range of around 25-30 metres.

But Sony has big plans for connecting its devices.

"We're hoping to incorporate that functionality in the very near future - from a local level at the moment to a global level probably within the next six months," said Mr Fargher.

The idea is to use the PSP to access the PS3 at home from anywhere in the world with a wireless hotspot.

"If I have my MP3 Walkman or my iPod, or digital camera connected to PS3 then I can access those devices too," said Mr Fargher.

With a PSP camera and GPS device in the pipeline, Ken Kutaragi must be a proud father, but has his prediction that the PSP would become the Walkman of the 21st Century come true?

Apple's Steve Jobs might have something to say about that. The iPod has shipped more than 88m units since 2002, with 21m of those manufactured in the first fiscal quarter of 2007 alone.

It looks like the PSP still has some way to go if it is to live up to Mr Kutaragi's promise.

DarthPaul
February 27th, 2007, 20:04
I don't have to read this...PSP Owns for sure.

Buddy4point0
February 27th, 2007, 20:22
2nd that

skater9269
February 27th, 2007, 20:28
^ agreed plus there is no mention of the ds's actual processing speed or of the psps ME

burrito
February 27th, 2007, 20:44
PSP is good for homebrew.
DS is good for games.

JKKDARK
February 27th, 2007, 20:56

DS kick PSP ass so badly on sales

.:}<3\/!}\{:.
February 27th, 2007, 22:59
both are good, but i rather have a PSP!!!!!!

joshisposer
February 27th, 2007, 23:11

The funny thing about that is, that only applies to sale only and only matters to companies.

Pretty much, you are saying that if a product sells more to gimmicky and novelty america, it is better. The psp is waaaaaayyyy better.
Look at the PS3 and Wii. Playstation 3 did not sell more, does that make it worse? The Wii will never be better than the PS3, ever!
The psp is better than the DS for it does not just rely on figures, it actually is a great handheld for than a generation and is not something a soccer mom finds cute.

Buddy4point0
February 27th, 2007, 23:58
dude i have a psp and a ds but havent picked up my ds for like a year and play psp everyday
psp rules

baracki96
February 28th, 2007, 00:00
Hmm, when you factor in homebrew, the psp beats most HOME consoles, let alone the DS. Of course, the DS does get better games in general so its hard to say when you don't factor in homebrew.

IM back!
February 28th, 2007, 00:02
i think the ds is selling so good becaus of the gba's huge popularaty so perents go and buy the next "game boy" for thair child

joshisposer
February 28th, 2007, 01:13
What i don't like is when they say, without homebrew, the DS is completely a better system and stuff.
You have to realize, you can not take away something thats already there. You can't say well the Colts would have lost the superbowl with Peyton manning. They have Peyton Manning and the psp has homebrew.

gunntims0103
February 28th, 2007, 01:21
The psp has the best homebrew scene around, mostly due to its superior power. Homebrew gamers however only make up a small fraction of gaming as a whole.

The Nintendo DS has maybe the best commercial game releases along with the inovative touch screen support. It definitly gives a twist on how you browse and play games on the Nintendo DS.

The commercial gaming aspect of the PSP isn't half bad as there are some really good games that even i enjoy. Ratchet and clank size matters for instance is a great game that i enjoyed playing.

The only thing that i don't like about Nintendo in how they handle there handheld is there increasingly bad habit to re-release there handhelds in a slightly different form, weather it be smaller or has slight technical changes.

Basil Zero
February 28th, 2007, 01:21

considering the fact that the psp is double the price of a DS, and that PSP's sales are only few numbers down in terms of thousands, its almost the same amount of money being made

so, practically, PSP is kicking DS's ass in terms of popularity as well, if u checked BBC news:thumbup:

zenaxe
February 28th, 2007, 02:06
The Nintendo DS has maybe the best commercial game releases along with the inovative touch screen support. It definitly gives a twist on how you browse and play games on the Nintendo DS.

FWIW, I have both systems and plenty of income to buy games and I don't get it when people just assume the DS has better software. I think DS outright sucks game wise if you're a grown up. The PSP has so many great titles: MGS: Portable Ops, Syphon Filter, X-Men Legends, Marvel UA, GTA: LCS, GTA: VCS, Ratchet & Clank, Navy Seals, ec, etc! I play my PSP about 6-7X as often and the multimedia power of the PSP crushes.

A lot of developers force the touch screen on the DS where it doesn't really work too. Don't get me wrong overall that's a cool feature but it can actually mess up a a game too. Really if I had to give one up, I wouldn't even have to think about it. PSP wins for me, easy, even without 'brew.

Veskgar
February 28th, 2007, 02:26
The argument that the Nintendo DS has better commercial games doesn't really fly with me anymore. I know the touch screen is innovative, the built-in mic is awesome, and the wifi seems better done on the DS. However, I have a DS Lite (Black) with probably a dozen or so of the best games but because of the PSP I barely touch the thing.

Yes, like others here I have neglected the amazing DS Lite in favor of the PSP. This is in large part due to emulation (gpSP, PSX, and many others) but the PSP now also has a very respectable library of commercial games.

So between the great commercial PSP games, and all of the homebrew & emulation, I very much favor the PSP.

Now I can understand people who have never messed with PSP homebrew thinking that the DS Lite is better, because in a lot of ways it is a more fun and intuitive little handheld. But I think the PSP will see growth in sales & popularity over the next year.

I throw this in on every thread that it is relevant to. If the PSP had more unique exclusive RPG titles, it would compete much better with the DS Lite. It is my opinion that the PSP is better suited for RPG's than the DS Lite but yet we are not seeing too many. Hopefully 2007 will see lots of great RPG's for the PSP.

gunntims0103
February 28th, 2007, 02:26
well as a whole both portables have there pro's and con's. The most known opinion that most users have is that the DS has the best commercial gaming. The PSP has the best homebrew.

I do agree that the PSP is catching up if not passed the DS interms of commercial gaming as i myself own a PSP and i find it alot better than a Nintendo DS.

darthhaze420
February 28th, 2007, 03:18
dont know about other country's but the average American consumer is a idiot the psp is to complicated god know just from people looking at my homebrew features i have single handedly set many ds users to the game store to buy a psp i send them all to this site give them rom sites and even with all the read me that come with all of the emulators it is still to hard and most of them offer to pay even though i give them all the info for free so now i have a small business just because people are to stupid or to lazy to do the work them self that is why i think the psp is not doing better it is a shame the psp is hands down the better system :D :thumbup: :cool: :) ;)

AvengedSevenfold Fan
February 28th, 2007, 03:27
I think that the PSP games don't get enough publicity and advertising, and that the media player in the PSP isn't that appealing to many, because you need to buy a memory stick to hold your media, unlike something like the iPod.

JKKDARK
February 28th, 2007, 04:23
considering the fact that the psp is double the price of a DS, and that PSP's sales are only few numbers down in terms of thousands, its almost the same amount of money being made

so, practically, PSP is kicking DS's ass in terms of popularity as well, if u checked BBC news:thumbup:

DS = 35.61 million
PSP = 11.21 million

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/History_of_video_game_consoles_%28seventh_generati on%29#Handheld_systems

Sp3ct0r
February 28th, 2007, 08:46
DS freakin rocks because they are bringing back old school game like mario 64 and diddy kong racing.

But the psp's homebrew capabilities are unbelivably awsome that i can play so many emulators and even multiplayer on games like goldenaxe and tmnt . So i have to say psp FTW!!

the_eternal_dark
February 28th, 2007, 10:06
Lol, fanboy kingdom... Criticise their handheld and bam, DS sucks.. Why does it seem that everytime this comes up, you people seem to not want to understand that Nintendo is the better all around company? I mean if it wasn't for them, you wouldn't have your precious emulators for which you all play illegal copies of anyway. (btw, don't use the defense that you own the carts, you didn't make your own copy, you downloaded it...) Ahh, well I still love them both; the PSP for Socom and Killzone and the DS for the New Super Mario Bros and more. (that sh!t is still fun after 20+ years, don't lie fanboys, you want a DS emulator for this very game, and yes Mario has been around forever, why hate on a classic?)

Buy both, FTW WITH BOTH!!!! Quit crying and bitching about what is better....

muffinman
February 28th, 2007, 10:23
Lol, fanboy kingdom... Criticise their handheld and bam, DS sucks.. Why does it seem that everytime this comes up, you people seem to not want to understand that Nintendo is the better all around company? I mean if it wasn't for them, you wouldn't have your precious emulators for which you all play illegal copies of anyway. (btw, don't use the defense that you own the carts, you didn't make your own copy, you downloaded it...) Ahh, well I still love them both; the PSP for Socom and Killzone and the DS for the New Super Mario Bros and more. (that sh!t is still fun after 20+ years, don't lie fanboys, you want a DS emulator for this very game, and yes Mario has been around forever, why hate on a classic?)

lol wp

anyways new super mario bros is way to short for me, but is still a good game.

Anyways i wont buy a ds for a while still becuase all i do is borrow my mates to play the pheonix wright games + i still love my psp :)

Mr.Denny
February 28th, 2007, 13:33
Forget homebrew.

Looking at the systems and how they were originaly intended the DS is a far superior system in terms of games and pure innovation

pt9087
February 28th, 2007, 17:05
PSP wins cos of the homebrew.

JKKDARK
February 28th, 2007, 17:13

There are already DS emulators running this game..

Anyway, Nintendo is a true video game company, Sony isn't. Ds sells a lot more than PSP :p

joshisposer
February 28th, 2007, 17:27
Sega is better than Nintendo by a long shot and is just as good if not a little better than Sony. Nintendo relies on trying to make stuff memorable and that's all they will do. They will never make something that lasts into the next generation. Sega was just plain amazing. It came out around Nintendo with Sega Master System. They were both 8-bit, so you tell me, which was better: Sonic or Mario? SONIC!!!
To me, it goes:
1. Sony
2. Sega
3. Microsoft

waaaay down there
4. Nintendo

Sales matters to companies, not really to people unless they are so bad that the product is discontinued.

jurkevicz
February 28th, 2007, 17:48
PSP does for free what you have to pay on the WII. It rimes....

slik da relic
February 28th, 2007, 21:58
Forget homebrew.

Looking at the systems and how they were originaly intended the DS is a far superior system in terms of games and pure innovation

the report is goin by "out of the box" performance, not "hacking" performance... if u go by hackin, then yes, the psp is the king.

da relic

JKKDARK
February 28th, 2007, 22:47
PSP does for free what you have to pay on the WII. It rimes....

Are you crazy? about the emulators, you need to dump your games and your bios to your computer then later to your PSP. On the Wii, just buy it.

Wii all the way.

the_eternal_dark
March 1st, 2007, 13:15
Sega is better than Nintendo by a long shot and is just as good if not a little better than Sony. Nintendo relies on trying to make stuff memorable and that's all they will do. They will never make something that lasts into the next generation. Sega was just plain amazing. It came out around Nintendo with Sega Master System. They were both 8-bit, so you tell me, which was better: Sonic or Mario? SONIC!!!
To me, it goes:
1. Sony
2. Sega
3. Microsoft

waaaay down there
4. Nintendo

Sales matters to companies, not really to people unless they are so bad that the product is discontinued.

And yet you only get PS2 port overs on the PSP....

I like being reminded why Nintendo has always been my favorite company. Mario saving the princess, princess saving Mario, Samus kicking ass the same as always, Luigi being Mario's sidekick, the Star Fox crew sticking it to Star Wolf, Link pimp slapping his enemies with swords and bombs like he's always done and rescuing Zelda.

I don't know about you, but those are the reasons I've stuck with Nintendo for so long. They have yet to disappoint me, unlike Sega when they left the console scene without so much as a dying scream (even though they had the better console).

And if Sonic was so much better than Mario, why did the game not help the Master System's sales during its time? Where were the other "great" games (aside from Phantasy Star)? The only consoles Sega did right were the Genesis, the Saturn, and the DreamCast (although the Dreamcast could have used some official backwards capability with the Saturn).

SteveV2
March 1st, 2007, 16:51
Take away the homebrew angle for the PSP then the DS is so much better.

Would your PSP still 0wn if everyone was stuck on official 3.10?

JKKDARK
March 1st, 2007, 17:50
And if Sonic was so much better than Mario, why did the game not help the Master System's sales during its time? Where were the other "great" games (aside from Phantasy Star)? The only consoles Sega did right were the Genesis, the Saturn, and the DreamCast (although the Dreamcast could have used some official backwards capability with the Saturn).

OutRun, Space Harrier, Hang On, Alex Kidd games. 3D glasses with games like Missile Defense 3D and Space Harrier 3D.

danmiracle
March 1st, 2007, 18:24
OutRun, Space Harrier, Hang On, Alex Kidd games. 3D glasses with games like Missile Defense 3D and Space Harrier 3D.
Don't forget the Wonderboy series, Shinobi series & Dynamite Ducks (or is it spelt Dux?) :D

Both Nintendo & SEGA have made classic games and both continue to do so (Virtua Fighter and Zelda series for example are unbeatable)

However I think Nintendo developed games stand the test of time more so than most of SEGAs (IMO from playing emulated retro games over recent years).

SEGA's strengths have always been it's straight to the point arcade style games (seeing as most of their games were also released in the arcades as well) whereas Nintendo games have always been developed to provide long lasting fun for people of all ages.

I have a DS (homebrew enabled) and I love it to bits (probably my favourite console since the Dreamcast). However I now also want a PSP at some point in the near future as the PSP homebrew scene looks truly AWESOME :thumbup: