PDA

View Full Version : The rise of the handheld console - PSP Vs DS

wraggster
February 27th, 2007, 20:01
Via BBC News (http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/technology/6387551.stm)

Back in 2003 Sony's Ken Kutaragi, "the father of the Play Station", made a bold prediction.
Announcing Sony's plans to enter the portable gaming market, he claimed the PlayStation Portable (PSP) would become "the Walkman for the 21st Century".

At that time conventional wisdom dictated that any attempt to break into the handheld market, dominated for so long by Nintendo, was doomed to failure.

To suggest that Sony's console would not only make an impact on the market, but also match the success of the 1980s cultural icon that was the Walkman seemed to argue a self-confidence bordering on arrogance.

After all, Sony shipped more than 50m Walkman units in the first ten years of production, reaching a total of 150m units produced by 1995.

The name Walkman has even joined that select group of brands like Hoover and Xerox whose name defines the product.

So four years down the line has the PSP lived up to "Papa" Kutaragi's prediction? Has it succeeded in breaking Nintendo's apparently unshakeable hold on the market?

Market domination

Since its release the PSP has seen steady growth with global shipments increasing from just over half a million units in 2004 to a total of 24.7m units by the end of 2006.

Impressive figures, but still not enough to reverse Nintendo's market dominance.

Nintendo has shipped more than 35m units of the DS and DS Lite consoles worldwide since launching in 2004, smashing European records for console sales on the way.

PSP AND DS SPECIFICATIONS
SONY PSP
Features: MP3 and video playback, web browser
Processor: 333MHz MIPS R4200
Memory: 32 MB
Connectivity: 100ft (30metres) local range, Wi-Fi

NINTENDO DS
Features: Touch screen, embedded chat software
Processor: One ARM9 and one ARM7
Memory: 4MB
Connectivity: 100ft (30metres) local range, Wi-Fi

So why has the mighty PSP failed to overtake its less powerful rival?

Margaret Robertson, editor of Edge gaming magazine, believes that one factor could be that the sheer power and versatility of the PSP caused more confusion than Sony expected when it first launched.

"Sony thought it was a straightforward and compelling offer of a gadget that can do music, videos, films and gaming," she says.

"But the problem with that is that consumers either fell into a category where they didn't really want all of that or they were technologically savvy enough to have commitments to other mediums, particularly memory formats."

Sony was not alone in finding the early market reluctant to embrace a new console; Nintendo also had problems when it first unveiled the DS.

"It wasn't a great-looking gadget," said Ms Robertson.

"In the West nobody was quite sure what the DS was trading on for its first year. It didn't seem to be trading on that Nintendo nostalgia feeling for the core fans."

Shock of the new

Consumers familiar with Nintendo's classic games were initially wary of the new and unknown aspects of the DS: the touch-screen game-play, the unconventional games.

But in the last two years prices have fallen and gamers have adapted to new concepts.

Games like Nintendogs have boosted sales of the DS console

DS owners in particular have embraced new genres of games that seemed unlikely to succeed when they first appeared.

The popularity of Nintendo's so-called Touch! Generations games such as Dr Kawashima's Brain Training and Nintendogs are cited by Nintendo's European Marketing Director Laurent Fischer as the major factor in driving console sales.

Paul Jackson, Director General of the UK's Entertainment and Leisure Software Publishers' Association (Elspa), suggests that the wide appeal of handheld games on all platforms has broadened the gaming demographic, making handheld consoles the UK's biggest selling hardware systems of 2006.

"Many people who would perhaps not have considered gaming have got involved," says Mr Jackson.

"And many people who are passionate have been able to change the way they game within a more social context."

PSP games are also overcoming initial difficulties.

While early PSP titles may have once been viewed by some as the poor relations of successful Play Station 2 (PS2) franchises more recent releases such as GTA: Liberty City Stories have been strong enough to cross back over to PS2.

More than a game

So where next for portable devices?

Sony's vision for the PSP is based on connectivity and integration with the PlayStation 3 (PS3).

Sony Computer Entertainment Europe spokesman Jonathan Fargher says the PSP will come into its own when connected wirelessly to the PS3.

Some commentators criticised the Nintendo DS's looks

The Remote Play functionality in PSP and PS3 currently allows the PSP user to wirelessly access pictures, videos and audio content stored on the PS3 up to a range of around 25-30 metres.

But Sony has big plans for connecting its devices.

"We're hoping to incorporate that functionality in the very near future - from a local level at the moment to a global level probably within the next six months," said Mr Fargher.

The idea is to use the PSP to access the PS3 at home from anywhere in the world with a wireless hotspot.

"If I have my MP3 Walkman or my iPod, or digital camera connected to PS3 then I can access those devices too," said Mr Fargher.

With a PSP camera and GPS device in the pipeline, Ken Kutaragi must be a proud father, but has his prediction that the PSP would become the Walkman of the 21st Century come true?

Apple's Steve Jobs might have something to say about that. The iPod has shipped more than 88m units since 2002, with 21m of those manufactured in the first fiscal quarter of 2007 alone.

It looks like the PSP still has some way to go if it is to live up to Mr Kutaragi's promise.

grimreaper100
February 28th, 2007, 10:48
it just goes to show nintendo shall always win due to the fact they have the original games and the best gameplay ever and you dont need some soup'ed up PS contoller thats $399 AUS to play games that are just great and fun get a $99 AUS NDSL and play Mario n Stuff like that btw ..................................... GET A MAC!

Mikaa
February 28th, 2007, 14:08
Except for the Super Nintendo (which is a unique case...), typically every "war" the console that is the most inexpensive and simplistic tends to be the better system.

Game Boy vs Lynx/Game Gear? Game Boy had no color screen and no back-light, but look at the gaming library. Granted, Tetris helped, plus Nintendo's numerous NES ports. But look at what Sega and (early on) Atari threw in.

Sony Playstation vs Sega Saturn vs N64
- From a pure hardware standpoint, the most powerful system of this generation was the N64, followed by... The Saturn. Granted, you never really saw its full power, but when you tap the dual CPUs, the Saturn was able to run rings around the PSX. Add in the fact that the PSX was cheaper than the Saturn, as well as the N64, and had all the "cool" games like Final Fantasy...

PS2 vs Xbox vs Game Cube
- To be honest, the only thing that kept the Cube (the cheapest system on the market at the time) afloat for so long was the exclusitivity of Nintendo games and a contract with Capcom (Resident Evil, Mega Man, Viewtiful Joe). The Xbox... I'm still shocked that it handled as well as it did. The PS2, thought, was the most inexpensive system for the games you got (GTA, FFX, etc), plus it played all PSX games.

And here's another piece of candy to chew on: the PS3 is getting owned by the Wii, the latter of which is the most simplsistic system, the cheapest system, and has the games that the general populace wants (not just the hard core - when I get my mom to play a game, it's reason to stop and think).

As far as the DS and PSP... I admit I was unsure at first, but the insane sales of the Brain games in Japan spelled doom for the PSP right off, as when a system is sucessful in Japan, that allows more games to be brought over late in the system's life. Hence half of the games that Atlus is putting on the GBA...

Mikaa

jojotjuh
February 28th, 2007, 19:52
because sony (for my feeling) is just aming to have the strongest console, they think that if you have better specs you will sell better, or n other words, they reinvented the PS2 in a smaller thing, not original, and of my opinion just invented to gain money,

while, nintendo, invented a whole new thing, and ofcourse though of money, but after they thought of something we would LiKE, thats why they win, because they think of us....:cool:

xdre3
March 16th, 2007, 02:20
there are like a million of these on the web