PDA

View Full Version : Low-price Blu-Ray player to damage PS3?

wraggster
February 28th, 2007, 19:03
Sony is to introduce a Blu-ray player priced at $599 USD, the same price as a 60GB PlayStation 3 console in the US.

The BDP-S300 will comes with all the same bells and whistles as its more expensive Blu-ray players, only now you won't have to re-mortgage your house to get one underneath your telly.

Already there's plenty of hustle and bustle on the internet asking how this new player will affect already-criticised PS3 sales. The console was always thought of as somewhat of a Trojan horse for the Blu-ray format, and now it's no longer the cheapest way for consumers to play the high-def disc format.

Our colleagues at Next-Gen.biz received a response from Sony Computer Entertainment America's PR boss Dave Karraker, who argued that the PS3 was always about high-def games and not movies.

"Yesterday's announcement from Sony broadens options for movie lovers and will help to further expand Blu-ray adoption, so it is a benefit to consumers and the company," he said. "Our research shows that the number-one purchase driver for the PS3 is the ability to play high-definition, next-generation games. PS3 has always been about gaming first and foremost."

We'll find out if Sony's right when the BDP-S300 Blu-ray player arrives this summer.

via cvg (http://www.computerandvideogames.com/article.php?id=158986)

eatnooM
February 28th, 2007, 19:57
I don't get how a Blu-ray player at the same price as a games console/Blu-ray player would threaten the apparently superior console.

Forgive me if I'm being ignorant and missing out something obvious, as I don't particularly give a monkey's about the PS3 or Blu-ray.

SSaxdude
February 28th, 2007, 21:15
Forgive me if I'm being ignorant and missing out something obvious, as I don't particularly give a monkey's about the PS3 or Blu-ray.

Agreed. I saw a demo of a Blu-Ray player at Best Buy and I thought it was DVD until I went and saw there was a Blu-Ray player in front of the tv. Holographic disks are the real next DVD.