PDA

View Full Version : Wii can run back-ups without a mod chip?

wraggster
February 28th, 2007, 20:49
Via wiifanboy (http://www.nintendowiifanboy.com/2007/02/27/wii-can-run-back-ups-without-a-mod-chip/)

Apparently, all one needs to run back-ups on their Wii is nothing more than a little technical know-how and an inexpensive cable. At least, we found this out whilst browsing YouTube today and coming across user Textb00k's video, that is. As you can see, in the embedded video available past the post break, this individual has apparently done nothing more than soldering a parallel port cable to the Wii's drive board and jacked it into his PC. The reward for his efforts is a back-up disc of Red Steel running on the console.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pvkaiFPRHF8

Now we at DCEmu arent interested in Piracy but this could be a way for an Homebrew breakthrough, interesting news, lets hope the hackers can provide the goods we need

gunntims0103
February 28th, 2007, 21:03
well this is good news, i hope homebrew can come of this. The best theretical way to run homebrew on the Wii without a mod chip would probally be via a TIFF exploit in the Wii photo channel.

ICE
February 28th, 2007, 21:10
crap. this will lead to piracy!! which i hate!!!

SSaxdude
February 28th, 2007, 21:20
^^ If people really want piracy they will modchip their Wii. This could be nice for emulators and whatnot.

ICE
February 28th, 2007, 21:58
dont you think that easy piracy will be more frequently used? yeah mod chipper's will always be into piracy but with crap like this so will everyone else. i just hate to see piracy as wide spread as things like this can cause.

SSaxdude
February 28th, 2007, 22:58
I guess so, but even so, the Wii is massively selling, and the audience includes many younger gamers (I'm not calling it kiddie, I own one myself.)

philr359
March 1st, 2007, 01:21
Piracy and homebrew go hand in hand. Any way to play homebrew on the Wii is probably gonna make it easy to run backups and theres not much to do about it. I personally dont agree with piracy so Ill only be running homebrew, its as simple as that.

prophecy
March 1st, 2007, 01:28
woot piracy!!! how come noone has anything good to say bout it? im a damn pirate and prolly most of you are. do you download music? Movies? pc games? youtube videos? it all falls under what you so blatently refer to as piracy. it might be illegal now. but who cares. so is most of the good stuff we have access to today.

bandit
March 1st, 2007, 01:41
THis is still considered a mod. In order to get that cable to work, you have to solder it to the Wiis mobo.