PDA

View Full Version : Game Compatability w/ Beta 2...

goombakid
April 23rd, 2005, 06:49
First off, major props to chui for the great emulator. The only reason why I brought out my DC was for this. Keep up the good work.

Anyway, I have just about all the games available for the Neo CD (sources withheld), and I thought I could help out in terms of a compatability list. I'll just add whatever was not tested to the list.

Fatal Fury: Works. Although, I found that if you choose Terry, there were no sound effects, but it worked well with the other 2. It might just be me, though.

Fatal Fury 2: Works fine. Have not tested it without frameskipping.

Fatal Fury 3: Works fine.

Karnov's Revenge/Fighter's History Dynamite: Works, but small glitches in stage backgound images. Animations in the background work well though.

Real Bout/RB2/RB Special: All work fine. No glitches from what I played.

World Heroes/WH2: Both work.

I'll add to this as soon as I have time. I hope this might have helped in any way.

One thing though. The games themselves run, but I don't have any BGM. I just tested it on my PC using both Nebula and NeoCD/SDL, and the bgm works fine. Is it just me or is everyone else having this happen?

GranNaniwa
April 24th, 2005, 17:19
I'm going to agree with the above poster and say that neo4all is absolutely the best thing to happen to the Dreamcast in years. I am a long-time fighting game fan who simply never could afford the NeoGeo MVS system and its $250+ carts, and didn't want to deal with the 30 sec+ load times of the NeoCD. Finally, there is a decent platform to experience these awesome games. My sincerest of thanks to the author of this absolutely amazing piece of software, your hard work is very much appreciated. :)

And although I'm not technically inclined, I can offer a few observation notes regarding the games I've tested on neo4all beta 2, if it helps at all. All assume frameskip = auto; 68K = normal; Z80 = under (default settings):

OVERALL: Speed seems increased slightly over the original system. However, this is a GOOD thing for me, as most of the old-school fighters could use a speed boost to keep up these days. :) (Samurai Shodown II Turbo!! Awesome!!) Haven't tried over/underclocking 68K.

SAMURAI SHODOWN 1/2/3/4: All run perfectly, albeit at the increased speed. Background animations seem particularly accelerated.

FATAL FURY: Can't get this one to boot.

FATAL FURY SPECIAL: No known issues.

REAL BOUT FATAL FURY 1/2/SPECIAL: All perfect (Real Bout 2 is a great game!).

ART OF FIGHTING:Can't get this one to boot.

ART OF FIGHTING 2: Animation/frame rate seems choppy, but this may be the way the game actually plays. Can't remember. :)

ART OF FIGHTING 3:Can't get this one to boot. May be a disc issue.

KING OF FIGHTERS 94/95/96/96 COLLECTION: No known issues.

NEO GEO CD SPECIAL: Crashes in several areas.

ADK WORLD: No known issues.

KARNOV'S REVENGE: Perfect except fot the above noted background glitches (the floor layer moves with the fighters!).

SAVAGE REIGN: No known issues.

AGGRESSORS OF DARK KOMBAT: No known issues.

RAGNAGARD: No known issues.

WORLD HEROES PERFECT: Awesome, but CDDA sometimes drops out and doesn't come back. Maybe a disc defect. :(

BTW, to the above poster, the background music you're referring to is probably the CDDA, and yes, it should work with the beta 2 release (it does with all of my games).

Again, to the author, thanks a ton for this great software, and if there's anything I can do to aid in the testing and development of neo4all, please ask.

Martin
April 24th, 2005, 18:25
test

goombakid
April 25th, 2005, 03:07
Well, the ones I have are copies, unfortunately. I dunno if that makes a difference or what. It plays the CDDA in my CD player ok, but it won't play. Maybe it's just the way I burned them or something. I'll have to look into that.

kof2000
April 30th, 2005, 21:23
very good this emulator. its the best emu of the last years for the dreamcast. every time i visit dreamcastemu website, the first thing i expect to see is a new version of neo4all. i want to help about the compatibility:

1. kof94 doesn´t boot
2. samurai showdown 1 doesn´t boot
3. karnov revenge works fine, but with this minor problem on the background
4. fatal fury 2 special doesn´t boot
5. kof97 works great
6. joy joy kid doesnt boot
7. samurai showdow 4 is fine
8. samurai showdow 3 some cdda dont work
9. world heroes jet cdda dont work sometimes
10. bowling works great
11. kof99 works great
12. world heroes perfect works great
13. gangan works great
14. double dragon doesn´t boot (but worked fine with other copy)
15. breakers works fine
16. kof 95 works great
17. super sidekickes 2 have graphic problems
18. twinkle star sprites works great
19. last blade doesnt boot
20. crossed swords 2 works great
21. magician lord works great
22. realbout special works great (blue mary voice music doesn´t plays)
23. puzzle bobble works great
24. real bout doesn´t boot
25. ninja masters works great (but it prompts for saving every round)
26. kabuki klash works great
27. ragnagard works great
28. kof 98 works great
29. the super spy works great
30. samurai shodown 2 works great
31. robo army works great

just some observations:

everytime i save when the option is given (save yes or no) (or almost), the control doesn,t work so i have to reset
fatal fury 3: i have a backup that doest boot, but a friend of mine have one (the same game, fatal fury 3) that boot, so the way they are burnt must have somthing to do with it
some games starts with cdda ok, but after some gametime it doesn´t play cdda anymore

very promising piece of softwere. just as i told, this is one of the best things on dreamcast history. this list is only a way to improve it even more

when i say some cdda dont work, i mean that i start playing with the cd music but sundenly, from after a loadtime, it stops playing the cdda...

and about the loadtimes, well, i think they are fast, but i would like to see the original neogeo game load screens, if possible.

great work chui, very impressive. maybe someday we will have a snes or a genesis emu with this quality.congratulations :)

kingbuzzo
May 6th, 2005, 16:56
Fatal Fury worked fine for me.

Samurai showdown was good but a bit too fast.

All the KOF's except for 99 are actualy way to fast, even the voiced turn high pitched which makes it all sound really dumb.

later,

Kingbuzzo.

rcgamer
May 11th, 2005, 14:18
baseball stars 2- seems to work very well
metal slug- seems to work perfect
neo drift out-boots up fine but when i start a race the cars gos crazy for a second then freezes.
neo turf masters-when you take a shot the ball just goes out of bounds everytime. it wont work right.
NAM 75-seems to work fine.
PULSTAR-works but i only played through the first level. seemed like the intro video had some slowdown but might be the same on real hardware.
super baseball 2020 works fine
blues journey works through the first level. thats as far as i tested.

goombakid
June 16th, 2005, 08:53
So I found out what was wrong why the CDDA wasn't playing. I was burning them wrong. I have everything corrected so I can have pretty much a complete list of compatible games maybe by next week, that is, if people are still interested on what works and what doesn't.

Chui & fox-please keep up the great work!

goombakid
June 20th, 2005, 04:12
So after several CDRs later, I finally finished my collection. All tested and ready to report.

NOTE: These are all assuming that the "factory" settings on Neo4All are in tact (Auto frameskip, yada, yada, yada). Any one game with a * by it means that I have to test it again.

3 Count Bout: Works
ADK World: Works
Aero Fighters 2 & 3: Works
Aggressors of Dark Kombat: Works
Alpha Misson 2: Works
Art of Fighting Series: AoF 1 loads, but no GFX, 2 & 3 works, 3 a little slowdown.
Baseball Stars 2 and Professional: Works.
Blue's Journey: Works
Breakers: Works, does slow down a little.
Burning Fight: Works
Bust A Move: Works, some SFX problems.
Crossed Swords 1 & 2: Works
Cyber-lip: Works, some SFX problems (usually when you enter and exit rooms)
Double Dragon: Works, some slowdown
Fatal Fury Series: Works. FF1 some intermittent SFX problems.
Fighter's History Dynamite: Works. Some background GFX problems.
Football Frenzy: Works
Galaxy Fight: Works. No SFX *
Ghost Pilots: Works
IronClad: Works. Major SFX problems (very hard to describe)
Joy Joy Kid: Works
Kabuki Klash: Works
KOF series: Works. KOF 94 some background GFX problems. You'll get annoyed at the loading screens in 97-99.
KOF 96 - Neo Geo CD Special: Works
King of Monsters: Works
Last Blade 1 & 2: Works
Last Resort: Works
League Bowling: Works
Magical Drop 2: Works. No SFX (might be just my disc, though)
Magician Lord: Works. CDDA intermittent
Mahjong Final Romance: Works
Mahjong Kyo Retsuden: Works
Masters of Syougi: Works
Metal Slug 1 & 2: Works. 2 has some slowdowns, but from what was reported, it's normal)
Mutation Nation: Works
Nam 1975: Works
Neo Drift Out: Loads, but resets when race begins. (Again, might just be me)
Neo Geo CD Special: Loads, but some sections don't work.
Neo Turf Masters: Works. Some GFX problems.
Ninja Combat: Works
Ninja Commando: Works
Ninja Masters: Works. Some slowdown
Over Top: *
Pleasure Goal: *
Power Spikes: *
Pulstar: Wkrks
Quest of Jong Master: Works
Quiz KOF: Works
Ragnagard: *
Rally Chase: *
Real Bout Series: Works
Riding Hero: *
Robo Army: Works
Samurai Showdown Series: Works. 3 & 4 some slowdown.
Samurai Spirits RPG: Won't Load
Savage Reign: Works
Sengoku 1 & 2: Works
Soccer Brawl: *
Stakes Winner: Loads, but I couldn't get it to play. Asks something about RAM.
Street Slam: *
Super Baseball 2020: *
Super Sidekicks series: Works. Some GFX problems (mostly background)
Super Spy: Works
Top Hunter: Works. Some SFX problems
Top Player's Golf: *
Twinke Star Sprites: Works
Viewpoint: Works
Voltage Fighter Gowcaizer: Doesn't load.
Windjammers: Works. Some GFX problems
World Heroes Series: Works. One of them has some SFX problems, I'll report later.
Zintrick: Works.

Pavlik
July 15th, 2005, 17:35
Robo Army: Works
Ya already tested this game. Working at full speed (frame skip at auto) without any problems. Can some1 update compatibility list at neo4all page?

Christuserloeser
July 16th, 2005, 15:49
Great job on those test results !

Hi Pavlik :)

quzar
July 16th, 2005, 19:26
goombakid: how long do you test these? last time i checked breakers didn't get past the first hit in neo4all.

DCDayDreamer
July 16th, 2005, 23:15
Can someone confirm which game/games work quite well with both the available emulators?

I still haven't tested these and they do sound very promising, I'd like to burn both emu's on a CDR and purchase a game (via ebay on the cheap if possible) but I'd like to get hold of a game that'll play with both emu's (doesn't matter which emu is better).

Christuserloeser
July 17th, 2005, 03:23
You'll be surprised how good they are :)

quzar
July 17th, 2005, 06:19
Can someone confirm which game/games work quite well with both the available emulators?

I still haven't tested these and they do sound very promising, I'd like to burn both emu's on a CDR and purchase a game (via ebay on the cheap if possible) but I'd like to get hold of a game that'll play with both emu's (doesn't matter which emu is better).

http://www.screamcast.net/boards/viewtopic.php?t=152

That is the official NeoDC compatability list since v2.

DCDayDreamer
July 17th, 2005, 17:19
Thanks for the link quazar, looks like I'm missing out on some fun, am I right in assuming the games without the rating smilies haven't been tested yet?

quzar
July 17th, 2005, 22:35
Basically. I've looked around on multiple forums for people who have reported games as working or not and taken my list from there and from my own findings, but I can't get every game ya know =P. Also, part of the rating IS speed, but only in cases of "this game runs exceptionally fast (faster than it should)" or "this game runs way slower than any other game does" because it helps me look for problems with the emulator. I'm thinking of having a 'compatability drive' soon (post a thread with that link, and maybe a list of the games with unknown working status) to see what i can find out to be able to hopefully increase a bit of compatability for the next release.

fox68k
July 19th, 2005, 14:46
Ya already tested this game. Working at full speed (frame skip at auto) without any problems. Can some1 update compatibility list at neo4all page?

I will update it as soon as possible.

Thank you for your help.

karloz
July 25th, 2005, 02:45
After, at least, getting to boot each game today (see thread: Error "No Disk in drive") - I think, these are the games with major bugs:

- Art Of Fighting 1: no graphics at all
- Neo DriftOut: crashes at race start
- Samurai Shodown RPG: in fact, it DOES load - but you have to wait for about 7 minutes. Try it!
- Stakes Winner: some RAM problem?!
- Voltage Fighter Gowcaizer: freezes after loading (black screen)

quzar
July 25th, 2005, 18:03
After, at least, getting to boot each game today (see thread: Error "No Disk in drive") - I think, these are the games with major bugs:

- Art Of Fighting 1: no graphics at all
- Neo DriftOut: crashes at race start
- Samurai Shodown RPG: in fact, it DOES load - but you have to wait for about 7 minutes. Try it!
- Stakes Winner: some RAM problem?!
- Voltage Fighter Gowcaizer: freezes after loading (black screen)

if you could test each of those in NeoDC I would be greatly appreciative, none have been reported as tested yet.

karloz
July 25th, 2005, 21:26
if you could test each of those in NeoDC I would be greatly appreciative, none have been reported as tested yet.

There you go:

Same problems with "Art Of Fighting 1", "Neo DriftOut" and "Voltage Fighter Gowcaizer"...

"Samurai Shodown RPG" and "Stakes Winner" work, but, of course, right now still slower than they should. Some additional notes:

Samurai Shodown RPG:
- loads at once
- no graphic errors
- but no CDDA music at all
- misses the "now loading" screens that are integrated in that game - is this intended?

Stakes Winner:
- no graphic errors
- has music
- works fine
I then took of my VMU and got the same error message as on Neo4All, which should mean that "Stakes Winner" doesn't run on Neo4All, because the memorycard isn't emulated correctly, right?

quzar
July 26th, 2005, 00:58
I would assume that that is the reason it does not run on Neo4all, but I am not sure.
I think the missing 'now loading' thing is because of the nature of the samurai spirits hack.

I will look into having some sort of virtual memory card emulation so that even if you have no vmu, games that require some sort of saving will be satisfied. Thank you for the tests. If you happen to have other games that you wouldn't mind testing that are not shown on this list : http://www.screamcast.net/boards/viewtopic.php?p=1317 I would also appreciate it.

Thanks.

goombakid
August 23rd, 2005, 05:51
goombakid: how long do you test these? last time i checked breakers didn't get past the first hit in neo4all.

I went through several levels. It works well with autoframeskip on, but it won't work right if you leave it with no frameskipping.