PDA

View Full Version : N64: 10 years on

wraggster
March 1st, 2007, 18:37
via gamesradar (http://www.gamesradar.com/gb/wii/game/news/article.jsp?sectionId=1006&articleId=2007022894644406070&releaseId=2006022811153671099)

It's hard to believe, but today is the tenth anniversary of the UK launch of Nintendo 64. Has it really been that long since we stood as teenagers in the then-new Virgin Megastore and watched in awe as some kid manoeuvred his way skillessly across a spectacular landscape in PilotWings 64? Apparently so.

Of course, as we all know, the console was eventually overrun by the PSone horde, despite N64's superior technology. Blurry graphics, a 'child's toy' image and a severe shortage of new games all contributed to its premature demise. But we, like thousands of fans across the country (and millions across the world) saw past its relative shortcomings and rejoiced at its innovation and charm.

So now we look at its legacy - the innovations that helped shape gaming as we know it today. Ladies and gentlemen, please raise your glasses to... Nintendo 64.

whatsorrow
March 1st, 2007, 20:23
I still remember the first night I played mario 64.....that is one of the greatest gaming moments ever!! Long live the ANALOG!!

lexluthor
March 1st, 2007, 23:49
What a great console. It had some truly fantastic games. I still cant understand why ANYONE would want to play a horrible grainy Tomb Raider over the masterpiece that is OOT.

Shadowblind
March 1st, 2007, 23:53
When I first got the N64 the first games I bought was OOT and Goldeneye. From then on I became game-spoiled :D

Junixx
March 1st, 2007, 23:56
1st N64 game ever played.....Mario Kart 64 :D

lexluthor
March 2nd, 2007, 00:21
When I first got the N64 the first games I bought was OOT and Goldeneye. From then on I became game-spoiled :D

Haha, wow. You pretty much couldn't ask for more.

Zion
March 2nd, 2007, 00:42
n64 is the best console ever made in my opinion.

FACT :D

Welshboy
March 2nd, 2007, 01:31
Goldeneye, its the reason i'm obsessed with first person shooters. Many, many hours on that second level.....forgotten what it was called now though?

V3N0M
March 2nd, 2007, 03:12
I remember one of the first N64 games I played was Mario Party. Those were the good old days... This is why I enjoy the Homebrew scene so much! The Homebrew scene is what revives these old consoles. Because eventually as with all machines they become old and eventually non-repairable. The Homebrew scene guaranties the survival of these consoles and their amazing games into the future.

cswallstreet
March 2nd, 2007, 03:55
I love my N64. I still have it too :). Loved the games Goldeneye, Percect Dark, Super Smash Brothers, and the Mario Partys. BTW Welshboy the second lvl is the Facility, my favorite as well.

rawfodog
March 2nd, 2007, 10:21
I am still pissed that my college roomate left our door unlocked and my Z64 Mr. Backup got stolen. argh... :mad: :mad:

souLLy
March 2nd, 2007, 12:59
Definitely one of the best consoles of all time. N64 we salute you!

brainpan
March 2nd, 2007, 13:14
Jeez...I remember saving up all year for the N64. I remember EVERYONE being excited at the possibility that 3d games were bringing to the table. I didnt even have enough money for a game at first but once I bought Mario64 it was on. I I played that game for almost most of a year because there were not a lot of games coming out. I dont think i ever have been as excited for a new console release.

eLAy12
March 2nd, 2007, 23:15
yup yup ...alot of time wasted playin that thing....gotta love that Golden eye, perfect dark, and mario parties...all pioneers to todays games.

WastingTheDawn
March 6th, 2007, 00:51
Super Mario 64 made me hooked on it gotta get all the stars lol

wolfpack
March 6th, 2007, 01:28
I kept my N64, I remember when i got it the first christmas it came out. I had 2 games that came with it, Mario 64 and Cruisin' USA. I was 6 at the time and I just couldnt stop playing. But my gaming years started when i was 2 :P